Security Pulls Gun On Uniformed Cop Who Wouldn't Disarm In Gun Free Zone

I work part time armed security here in the Peoples' Republic but not at any Federal building. I'm 61 years old and if that guy makes it to 30 pointing guns at uniformed LEO's I'll be amazed. That guard was lucky he didn't get two to the chest and one to the head. He actions clearly show no training, no common sense and no ability to adapt to a situation. He was going by "the book."

There is no such crime. Carrying in federal buildings while not a federal LEO or exempt person (think diplomatic passport w/immunity) is a federal offense.
To be precise: it is federal facilities that are covered; ownership doesn't matter. And for the law to apply, notice must be posted prominently at the entrances.

If properly posted, it's a misdemeanor. It's elevated to a felony if the possession or introduction is done with the intent to commit a crime.

18 U.S. Code § 930 - Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

Yes. Should he need to pass security somewhere he can either disarm, which by department policy might require that he change out of uniform, or he can do it another time. I have nothing against him doing errands, but why are you acting like he is entitled to stay armed in a federal building just because?

This.

I understand doing errands at lunch time....but this wasn't an errand he could do while on duty. It was against the rules. The cop didn't follow the rules, simple and cut and dry. What the guard did after is a moot point and it would never have happened had the policeman complied with the given order.

If he thought walking away was the best thing to de-escalate. He should have followed the rules, turned around and walked away at the door when the guard asked him to disarm. Then he could have returned on his personal time to do the errand.

The other evidence that points to this cop being a total ahole is trying to sue for something he was wrong about in the first place. This whole thing was escalated by the cop.

Fxcking tool. Cops expect us to follow commands and rules, and respect authority.
But when the shoe is on the other foot....its a different story. Fxck that and that Cop was wrong.

Last edited:
Having now seen the body cam video, my opinion that the Security Guard is a doofus stands.

The deputy sheriff is a little bit of a blow hard and I'm struggling to understand how a grown man rests his hands on his gun hilt and taser hilt, but it certainly didn't give me the impression he was planning to draw. Still he should form a new habit...

Deputy is suing for emotional and psychological distress? P***y.

Officer Blart was fired and charged with aggravated menacing. Well good.

I do think that any Federal facility should the ability to let ANY armed citizen stow their firearms while they do business inside.

And they should probably hire guards that don't look like they just peed their pants...

I don't know this particular department policy, but the breathlessness about 'omg personal errands on duty' is a bit much. There are plenty of departments that don't have any issue with this, and in fact... ENCOURAGE it, as long as the officer is still in his jurisdiction, and has his radio on. It gets officers out of cars, and interacting with people and being seen in the public.

Moderation is the key obviously. Going into a building to ask a question? Fine. Going grocery shopping? No.

Guy walks in with a gun and uniform. Not hard to get either. Hows the security supposed to know for sure he is a cop. Rules are rules and if we are subjected to their stupidity so should everyone else. But like GM-GUY said. Get the popcorn.

Guuys! guys! guys!!!!!!!! did you hear the one about the cop who walked into the IRS building...........
"There I was, working as a Federal Protective Services Officer! Anything can happen in this environment, so I was wearing my patrol gloves just in case I had to draw down on someone!"

To be precise: it is federal facilities that are covered; ownership doesn't matter. And for the law to apply, notice must be posted prominently at the entrances.

If properly posted, it's a misdemeanor. It's elevated to a felony if the possession or introduction is done with the intent to commit a crime.

18 U.S. Code § 930 - Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

And then there’s (d).

It’s not illegal if you’re doing it legally. [laugh]

Leaves no gobs unsmacked.

I listened to the whole thing, but was only half watching the video -
and didn't see whether anyone bladed away at 45°.

The Hurr-Durring and Hallway Lawyering are epic.
All the responding officers have trouble wrapping their heads
around a rent-a-cop (however misinformed and non-socialized)
acting out the Supremacy Clause: much reasoning by analogy.

Vast disbelief about a peace officer in uniform being treated like
Joe Schmuck Off The Street Open Carrying (unquote).
That's no fun.

"Well if there's no guns in this building, how come he's got one?"
O.M.G., really?
Secret Service in the Rose Garden.
Sky Marshall on a 747.
Marine guarding the nuclear arms locker on an aircraft carrier.
Cop in a police station.
(Well, some stations have entrance lockers, but let that go).

Four-year olds pull that reasoning on their parents,
but seem less shocked when informed that
they have failed to run rings around Mom/Dad's logic.

Also, much strategizing on how to convert this to a lose for the guard
and a win for the deputy. The city guys flood the scene,
and get right down to turning the tables on the guard,
in full earshot.

Ironically, both the guard and the deputy got a lesson on
"never invite The Man into your life":
  • Deputy thought he'd swing by the IRS and ask a question about a tax issue that had been dogging him. He's in the building all the time on warrant details, should be easy. Even more ironically, if he'd just waited to ask his question until he had to pick up a warrant, he could have used the pretext to breeze right past the guard with "I'm here on official business". Plenty of NESers have the balls to do that kind of social engineering, Like A Boss.
  • Guard thought he'd call 911 on a uniformed officer not getting emotional about being denied entry, because trying to Nope out of the bad situation of a Federal office lacking courtesy sidearm lockers, does not constitute Respecting Mah Rent-A-Cop Authoritah.
Unhappiest person: head of the firm who assigned this guy to the IRS contract.
Second unhappiest person: government purchasing agent who gave the contract to that firm.
Third unhappiest person: all of the other guards who will have to undergo remedial Don't Be That Guy training.

(Unless Toledo IRS has a walk-in FAQ service window,
I hope the deputy had an appointment. Maybe his best Plan B
would be to call the office receptionist and say,
"This is Deputy Dawg. I have an 11AM appointment but I can't use the elevator this morning.
Could my examiner please come out to at least briefly hear my question in the lobby?")

From memory, the claim was the officer refused to leave, yet the video pretty clearly shows the IRS security guard trying to STOP the officer from leaving.

That would be like one of us going into Walmart, OC, being told by the door greeter to leave, we comply but the greeter chases us down and PREVENTS us from leaving, then claims we refused to leave.
Although the average Walmart greeter can only try to prevent you from leaving.
Bronx stores roll a little different.
RVMN5lH.jpg

Last edited:
19gqrn.jpg

Security Pulls Gun On Uniformed Cop Who Wouldn't Disarm In Gun Free Zone - Blue Lives Matter

Security guard Seth Eklund pointed a gun at Deputy Alan Gaston's back, then tried to take him into custody.

Toledo, OH – A security guard at an IRS office pulled a gun on a uniformed deputy and attempted to take him into custody for refusing to disarm.

The incident occurred on May 31, after on-duty Lucas County Sheriff’s Deputy Alan Gaston stopped by the IRS office at 4 Seagate to ask a question about a letter he had received, WTVG reported.

After he’d walked inside, he was confronted by armed security guard Seth Eklund, who told him he couldn’t have his duty weapon inside the office.

Eklund ordered Deputy Gaston to take the gun out to his vehicle, but the deputy said that he cannot disarm while on duty.

As Deputy Gaston turned and walked out of the office, Eklund followed behind him with a gun pointed at the deputy’s back, security footage showed.

Deputy Gaston said he recalled “basically preparing myself to be shot at that moment,” WTVG reported. “Bracing for a shot in my back.”

The deputy continued to walk away from Eklund, who followed him out to the elevators with his gun still drawn, the video showed.

"There's really no way to know how you're going to act when there's a gun pointed at you and when you think you're going to lose your life," Deputy Gaston said.

With his gun still drawn, the security guard reached out and unsuccessfully attempted to take Deputy Gaston into custody.

Deputy Gaston, a defensive tactics instructor, determined that walking away was the best way to de-escalate the tense situation.

He said he was also concerned that Eklund’s behavior was putting other people in the building at risk.

Meanwhile, an employee inside the 911 office called Toledo police to report that there was a man with a gun inside the building and that he wouldn’t leave, WTVG reported.

The caller didn’t mention that the armed man was a uniformed sheriff’s deputy who was trying to exit the building.

Toledo police arrived at the scene and quelled the situation, and Eklund has since been charged with aggravated menacing.

He is scheduled to appear in court next week.

Deputy Gaston said that Eklund “went 0 to 100” with regards to his use of force, and said that his behavior indicated a lack of training.

The deputy noted that he believes the security guard’s use of lethal force was “unacceptable” in that situation.

Deputy Gaston is currently on medical leave after suffering psychological and emotional distress as a result of the incident, WTVG reported.

He and his wife have filed a civil lawsuit against Eklund and the security company seeking compensation for lost wages and psychological damage.

Eklund and the IRS office have not responded to requests for comment, WTVG reported.

Yeah he isn't a cop..he is a DHS PSO most definitely a retired LE or Military, and his Use of Force is actually a lot broader depending on the building. They are protecting Federal Agents, Politicians, Federal Judges, Federal Prosecutors, FBI Analysts, CIA Analysts etc in a lot of these buildings. IE if your wearing a gun and you blow a screening checkpoint in a big high clearance building there is a good chance your gonna get a gun stuck in your face cause that's his job.

Yeah he isn't a cop..he is a DHS PSO most definitely a retired LE or Military, and his Use of Force is actually a lot broader depending on the building. They are protecting Federal Agents, Politicians, Federal Judges, Federal Prosecutors, FBI Analysts, CIA Analysts etc in a lot of these buildings.
Age 33 - probably not retired LE/Military?

Would be a shame if the guard is a vet who had trouble toning down their military training.

IE if your wearing a gun and you blow a screening checkpoint in a big high clearance building there is a good chance your gonna get a gun stuck in your face cause that's his job.
(Yahbut, not as-of mid-July it ain't; sigh).

Yeah he isn't a cop..he is a DHS PSO most definitely a retired LE or Military, and his Use of Force is actually a lot broader depending on the building. They are protecting Federal Agents, Politicians, Federal Judges, Federal Prosecutors, FBI Analysts, CIA Analysts etc in a lot of these buildings. IE if your wearing a gun and you blow a screening checkpoint in a big high clearance building there is a good chance your gonna get a gun stuck in your face cause that's his job.

He was guarding CPA's at the IRS, not Federal Judges and it wasn't a Federal BUILDING but a Federal OFFICE in a building. At least according to the conversation in the video.

He looked like a mall security guard. And a second rate mall that's been in decline for 10 years, at that. The guy you're describing would not have panicked and the outcome would definitely have been different with the deputy disarmed and in cuffs by the time the cops got there.

He was guarding CPA's at the IRS, not Federal Judges and it wasn't a Federal BUILDING but a Federal OFFICE in a building. At least according to the conversation in the video.

He looked like a mall security guard. And a second rate mall that's been in decline for 10 years, at that. The guy you're describing would not have panicked and the outcome would definitely have been different with the deputy disarmed and in cuffs by the time the cops got there.

Disarmed? Yeah I said ex LE or Military.. not ex delta or something. He prolly drove a truck for the guard. What I am saying is they are told in training.. City or State LE are not allowed on property with a firearm unless you called them there. He just handled it poorly, but acting like he has no right cause its a COP is stupid. He is getting railroaded because the COP is making a big deal out of it, suing etc.

Disarmed? Yeah I said ex LE or Military.. not ex delta or something. He prolly drove a truck for the guard. What I am saying is they are told in training.. City or State LE are not allowed on property with a firearm unless you called them there. He just handled it poorly, but acting like he has no right cause its a COP is stupid. He is getting railroaded because the COP is making a big deal out of it, suing etc.

Maybe so, but I read Officer Blart as ex mall cop, not ex military. He does not have the appearance of someone that was EVER in shape.

Last edited:

Maybe so, but I read Officer Blart as ex mall cop, not ex military. He does not have the appearance of someone that was EVER in shape.
Regardless, no excuse to pull a gun on anyone unless they are acting aggressively and are a direct threat. Merely being in uniform, armed is not a direct threat. It could have been handled professionally by merely talking thru the issue that he couldn't carry there and come back later out of uniform/without the firearm.

When I worked for BC Police (Aux PO, no police powers) one day they partnered me up with a former MP (he was a new guy at BCPD). During that shift he told me that the students needed their heads bashed in because they were privileged, spoiled kids! He had no concept that we were there to protect the kids, not to bust heads. Military work is very different from police work and campus police work is very different from municipal police work! He was a ticking time bomb (lawsuit - just like Blart at the IRS), at the end of the shift I told the Lt (full time PO) never to partner me with him again. He washed out shortly afterwards anyway.

Was this guy actually an FPS cop, or just a contract security guard? Seems more like he was a security guard to me.
I think that they are all contract security guards. I know someone who worked the JFK Building and he was contract security, same when I had to go to the O'Neill Building in Boston some years ago. When I went for my IRS audit in Brockton, the guy there was also contract security but he was a decent human being.

I think that they are all contract security guards. I know someone who worked the JFK Building and he was contract security, same when I had to go to the O'Neill Building in Boston some years ago. When I went for my IRS audit in Brockton, the guy there was also contract security but he was a decent human being.

Yeah I know some of the buildings I go into have real FPS cops, fed employees. But sometimes they have additional contract security guards working with them. Big difference in training, etc.

Security guard looks like he was finishing (eating) a half dozen tactical rolls moments prior.

Cop and responding officers are clearly butthurt at the fact that they are treated like the regular public. Security guard appears to not have an ounce of common sense or restraint.

Security guard looks like he was finishing (eating) a half dozen tactical rolls moments prior.

Cop and responding officers are clearly butthurt at the fact that they are treated like the regular public. Security guard appears to not have an ounce of common sense or restraint.

There was 4 tons of weight between Bart the butthurt cop and the responding officers. They all looked like donut lovers. How do you expect anyone taking these clowns seriously.

Ironically, both the guard and the deputy got a lesson on
"never invite The Man into your life":
  • Guard thought he'd call 911 on a uniformed officer not getting emotional about being denied entry, because trying to Nope out of the bad situation of a Federal office lacking courtesy sidearm lockers, does not constitute Respecting Mah Rent-A-Cop Authoritah.
(Well actually,
some IRS worker called 911 on their own initiative -
but the guard is paying the price).

(Well actually,
some IRS worker called 911 on their own initiative -
but the guard is paying the price).

It sounded to me like the guard called (I suppose the head of security) with an exaggeration and did NOT say the taxpayer was a uniformed deputy. The he (the "suit" doing most of the IRS talking) called 911 with a panic call.

It sounded to me like the guard called (I suppose the head of security) with an exaggeration and did NOT say the taxpayer was a uniformed deputy. The he (the "suit" doing most of the IRS talking) called 911 with a panic call.
I defer to anyone who listened more carefully than I did.
(I came to fear that I'd exaggerated).

IRS and others now contract private security, no longer are the places watched by Fed Protective Services. About 10 yrs ago Otis ANG went from armed soldiers at the gates to private security. It was so much easier with the soldiers, they didn't have small penis syndrome like the security guards
Well.....all truth be told.....most of those "gaurds" working for the private security company were national guard soldiers that ended up working for the contractor. I knew a bunch of them. They were on active duty orders one day....then wearing the security company uniform the next day.

It was a hell of alot cheaper to pay a contractor than it was to have ng soldiers on orders so that's the route they went. The company that got the contract just offered the jobs to the soldiers that were already doing the work.

But.....you are right about the power Trip with some gaurds at dod facilities. I go in and out of devens rfta every now and then. A few years back I entered devens rfta on my motorcycle.....knowing the butt hurt there can be about reflective gear required on instillations I had out my pt belt over my shoulder and when I got to the gate I specifically asked the guard if my pt belt was sufficient. He said yes. I did my business at rfta then on my way heading back to the gate a guard lit me up and pulled me over. He approached me all pissed off and told me I needed a reflective vest and the belt was not enough and to get off the bike because he was going to tow it. That was all in one breath he didn't even let me talk. I got off the bike as ordered......told him I specifically asked the guard at the gate if the belt was enough and he said it was. I was literally 50 yards from the gate and started telling to the guy that had just let me in to please help. He radioed the a**h*** and told him I was good to go. I gave that a**h*** the hairy eyeball as I got back on my bike to leave. f***ing dickhead. Gonna tow my bike over a f***ing reflective belt vs a vest?!? I don't think so gomer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom