Security Pulls Gun On Uniformed Cop Who Wouldn't Disarm In Gun Free Zone

After he’d walked inside, he was confronted by armed security guard Seth Eklund, who told him he couldn’t have his duty weapon inside the office.

If that's the policy, that's the policy. No problem.

Eklund ordered Deputy Gaston to take the gun out to his vehicle,

That's a reasonable accommodation and what I would expect.

but the deputy said that he cannot disarm while on duty.

Plot twist, but fine. He can come back some other time, off duty.

As Deputy Gaston turned and walked out of the office,

Looks like that's what he decided on.

Eklund followed behind him with a gun pointed at the deputy’s back

<insert sound of record player needle scratching over the grooves>

What?!

Was his name Officer Blart?

I'd say the security guard completely over reacted and is going to have a big problem with his case.

I wonder if he looks as dumb as he acted?

All these jurisdiction turf wars do us little good. Just a while ago, 26 agencies responded to an "Active Shooter" event in NH as communications are still poorly cross-functional and so many self-responded w/o their agency call-out. Bubba-LEO1 calls Bubba-LEO2 on their cell and they jump in their car so they don't miss out. The "shooter" was already in custody and transported when news cameras were filming new arrivals gearing up with body armor and slung rifles from their trunks.

No- Win???? Some Paul Blart pulls a gun on a cop walking away from him and points it at his back......the win, is that the cop didn't shoot the Rent A Cop in the face. And what's the cop supposed to do when he takes lunch, take off his uniform and stow the gun in the trunk??? The cop haters on this mb are a bunch of clowns. Must have been a rash of cops diddling little boys years ago.
FYI, insisting that cops are diddlers isn’t building a strong case in favor of law enforcement.

The guy security guard will be fine.
Once this is all settled the TSA will snap him right up.

That seems to be the "caliber" of person they attract for sure.

I still think he's in for problems with this and I hope his driving habits are impeccable.

No, that's not the law. This was a federal facility, and police aren't exempt from 18 USC 930 unless in performance of official duties.

18 U.S. Code § 930 - Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

This right here. The cop was committing a federal felony and furthermore admitted it. The security guard was absolutely right to tell him to gtfo of the building. Probably as a rent-a-cop didn't have the authority to attempt to detain the guy, though.

FYI, insisting that cops are diddlers isn’t building a strong case in favor of law enforcement.
Hardly, Bud, just pointing out that some of the cop haters here have some unusual fears/hatreds. A , "Show us on the doll where the bad policeman touched you", reference.

Hardly, Bud, just pointing out that some of the cop haters here have some unusual fears/hatreds. A , "Show us on the doll where the bad policeman touched you", reference.
You’re a bit fixated on cops molesting children.

If you need to talk feel free to PM me.

This right here. The cop was committing a federal felony and furthermore admitted it. The security guard was absolutely right to tell him to gtfo of the building. Probably as a rent-a-cop didn't have the authority to attempt to detain the guy, though.

I guess we'll see when he goes to court. My bet is he will lose his job and be criminally charged and convicted.

I also suspect he will have a difficult life around the town/county. Not that that is the right thing, just predicting human nature in the given circumstances.

He may be "in charge" in the Social Security office, but the local deputies are outside that place. He didn't do himself or anyone else any favors by his over reaction.

Cops can carry guns where the rest of us can't. I strongly disagree with this policy but it's the law and the security company should know this and teach it.
This is a hierarchy of power issue. I believe that LEOs lacking federal status are not exempt from the gun ban in federal buildings. Perhaps the security company did indeed teach this guard that only federal LEO credentials allow one to be armed in a federal office.

Reminds me of Master Blaster in Beyond Thunderdome. "DISARM! DISARM OR DIE!" Maybe the cop needed to use his whistle.

I love that they didn't like a cop being in the building with a gun, so they called more cops. That gun free zone is not working.

Difference being, the ones that showed up would be there in the performance of their official duties, and therefore lawfully allowed to be armed in the facility.

Personally, I’m not surprised by the guard’s reaction. I would fully expect that anyone attempting to gain entry to that (or any other) federal facility while unlawfully carrying a weapon would be chased out at gunpoint, at the very least.

I know if security at my work saw that I had a gun, I’d be eating asphalt (at gunpoint) in record time.

Good point, but let's not shoot him over it!

Oh come on. I've seen people here say that if a person is on your property, you should be able to shoot them. Not doing harm. MAYBE doing harm, but the instant you are on-property, you are fair game. (Obviously not in Mass, but. . . . )

Seen others advocate longer sentences for those that kill dogs than people.

Why can't we shoot cops that are not working???

;)

Cops can carry guns where the rest of us can't. I strongly disagree with this policy but it's the law and the security company should know this and teach it.
Ideally, LEO are SUPPOSED to follow the same laws as ordinary citizens, except they're tasked with enforcing existing laws and keeping communities intact. I guess there are exceptions, like gun and magazine purchases, open carry, window tints, parking in emergency spots, and carrying in prohibited areas.

With his gun still drawn, the security guard reached out and unsuccessfully attempted to take Deputy Gaston into custody.
Deputy Gaston, a defensive tactics instructor, determined that walking away was the best way to de-escalate the tense situation
I give this guy credit for deescalating the situation. Most knuckledraggers would've drawn fire in a second.

Oh come on. I've seen people here say that if a person is on your property, you should be able to shoot them. Not doing harm. MAYBE doing harm, but the instant you are on-property, you are fair game. (Obviously not in Mass, but. . . . )

Seen others advocate longer sentences for those that kill dogs than people.

Why can't we shoot cops that are not working???

;)

Ok, Ok! I give. It is valid reason to shoot him. Or at least wing him.

Federal trumps city. Can an on-duty uniformed Boston City LEO go through security at Logan? And then again, well/nicely armed (MP5?) state police are on the other side (with Fido).

The irony in all of this is hilarious.

Gun Free Zones
IRS
Cop not getting special cop treatment
Security guard going Rambo

Seems like there was plenty of stupid to go around in this story.

So a security guard did his job.
Maybe now this cop know how it feels when LEO points their guns at suspects.....i mean citizens.
Another point is.... Are these security guards suppose to take at face value that a person in a LEO uniform is there for all good intentions?
i say good to the security guard. I dont think gun drawn down on him was a good idea but hey maybe he figured ....pissed off cop might shoot him because his feelings might be of the threatened nature...

I dunno. I'm more than happy to pig pile on the rotten apples but what I saw on the video was a cop trying to cooperate with a lawful order to leave. Blart followed the officer out of the office and on into the elevator and held the door.

On the other hand, come on. Medical leave? Go ahead and sue Blart for criminal stupidity, but don't ask me to believe you're traumatized to the point of being unable to work.

The missing minute or so is the conversation where Blart said you can't have that here. It's tv - they trimmed the video to show the 10 or 20 seconds of video that they had time for. The whole segment wasn't even 3 minutes!

Back
Top Bottom