Security Pulls Gun On Uniformed Cop Who Wouldn't Disarm In Gun Free Zone

mikeyp

NES Member
19gqrn.jpg

Security Pulls Gun On Uniformed Cop Who Wouldn't Disarm In Gun Free Zone - Blue Lives Matter

Security guard Seth Eklund pointed a gun at Deputy Alan Gaston's back, then tried to take him into custody.

Toledo, OH – A security guard at an IRS office pulled a gun on a uniformed deputy and attempted to take him into custody for refusing to disarm.

The incident occurred on May 31, after on-duty Lucas County Sheriff’s Deputy Alan Gaston stopped by the IRS office at 4 Seagate to ask a question about a letter he had received, WTVG reported.

After he’d walked inside, he was confronted by armed security guard Seth Eklund, who told him he couldn’t have his duty weapon inside the office.

Eklund ordered Deputy Gaston to take the gun out to his vehicle, but the deputy said that he cannot disarm while on duty.

As Deputy Gaston turned and walked out of the office, Eklund followed behind him with a gun pointed at the deputy’s back, security footage showed.

Deputy Gaston said he recalled “basically preparing myself to be shot at that moment,” WTVG reported. “Bracing for a shot in my back.”

The deputy continued to walk away from Eklund, who followed him out to the elevators with his gun still drawn, the video showed.

"There's really no way to know how you're going to act when there's a gun pointed at you and when you think you're going to lose your life," Deputy Gaston said.

With his gun still drawn, the security guard reached out and unsuccessfully attempted to take Deputy Gaston into custody.

Deputy Gaston, a defensive tactics instructor, determined that walking away was the best way to de-escalate the tense situation.

He said he was also concerned that Eklund’s behavior was putting other people in the building at risk.

Meanwhile, an employee inside the 911 office called Toledo police to report that there was a man with a gun inside the building and that he wouldn’t leave, WTVG reported.

The caller didn’t mention that the armed man was a uniformed sheriff’s deputy who was trying to exit the building.

Toledo police arrived at the scene and quelled the situation, and Eklund has since been charged with aggravated menacing.

He is scheduled to appear in court next week.

Deputy Gaston said that Eklund “went 0 to 100” with regards to his use of force, and said that his behavior indicated a lack of training.

The deputy noted that he believes the security guard’s use of lethal force was “unacceptable” in that situation.

Deputy Gaston is currently on medical leave after suffering psychological and emotional distress as a result of the incident, WTVG reported.

He and his wife have filed a civil lawsuit against Eklund and the security company seeking compensation for lost wages and psychological damage.

Eklund and the IRS office have not responded to requests for comment, WTVG reported.

The incident occurred on May 31, after on-duty Lucas County Sheriff’s Deputy Alan Gaston stopped by the IRS office at 4 Seagate to ask a question about a letter he had received, WTVG reported.

After he’d walked inside, he was confronted by armed security guard Seth Eklund, who told him he couldn’t have his duty weapon inside the office.

Eklund ordered Deputy Gaston to take the gun out to his vehicle, but the deputy said that he cannot disarm while on duty.

Why was Gaston conducting personal business while on duty? Seems like an abuse of his position as a police officer.

Eklund was a douche though. He could have handled it much better like saying "well come back when you are on your time."

"Deputy Gaston is currently on medical leave after suffering psychological and emotional distress as a result of the incident"

What a freaking pussie![laugh2][laugh2][laugh2]
No, probably was told to do so by his attorney to build the case against the mall cop and security company.

So personal errand or on duty?

A no-win situation for the security guard. The LEO could have been an ebil terr'ist with a British or German accent dressed as a deputy. How could he know? Rules is rules, right? Well, unless you're above all that.

So a cop doesn't get to take a break, or lunch??? Another NESr that was touched in his privates by a cop, heard from.

Sure he can take breaks and do personal business. But if he is claiming that he can't disarm "On duty" then he can come back at a time he is not on duty and do that business. Why does he get special treatment? If I can't carry there a cop shouldn't be able to carry there, period. As for the security guard, he was also a moron and there is no reason to pull your gun on anyone who is leaving of their own free will and not threatening you.

A no-win situation for the security guard. The LEO could have been an ebil terr'ist with a British or German accent dressed as a deputy. How could he know? Rules is rules, right? Well, unless you're above all that.

I agree.

Sure he can take breaks and do personal business. But if he is claiming that he can't disarm "On duty" then he can come back at a time he is not on duty and do that business. Why does he get special treatment? If I can't carry there a cop shouldn't be able to carry there, period. As for the security guard, he was also a moron and there is no reason to pull your gun on anyone who is leaving of their own free will and not threatening you.

Well, most of us carry concealed. And concealed means concealed. And signs are non-binding in Mass. Hard for a deputy to hide his gun in uniform lol

Who amongst us has never done a personal errand during our work hours? When I worked for Yankee Atomic Electric in Westboro, a few times I headed off to Spags during my lunch hour . . . once I ran into our VP there also doing the same thing. When I worked for Stone & Webster Engineering in Boston I used to walk up to Boston Common to watch the freak shows during lunch time. etc.

I realize there is a lot of cop hate on this forum, but he's entitled to do the same sort of things that civilians do during their work hours.

And yes, if a LEO is in uniform, the gun is part of the uniform and he can't remove it/leave it somewhere else. May not have been the best move to go there in uniform these days, at least not without calling ahead to the director of security for the facility and based on that conversation go or wait until he was off-duty and out of uniform.

That's the USE of lethal force?

Sounds more like the threat of lethal force....but IANAL
Yes, pulling a gun on someone is indeed use of lethal force.

Well, most of us carry concealed. And concealed means concealed. And signs are non-binding in Mass. Hard for a deputy to hide his gun in uniform lol
Not in a federal building it isn't. When I went for my IRS audits, I went thru a metal detector, they had an x-ray machine, etc. Some of their guards are decent folks, some aren't even at the level of trained monkeys . . . they are a contract company and I doubt that they give them any training at all.

Who amongst us has never done a personal errand during our work hours? When I worked for Yankee Atomic Electric in Westboro, a few times I headed off to Spags during my lunch hour . . . once I ran into our VP there also doing the same thing. When I worked for Stone & Webster Engineering in Boston I used to walk up to Boston Common to watch the freak shows during lunch time. etc.

I realize there is a lot of cop hate on this forum, but he's entitled to do the same sort of things that civilians do during their work hours.

And yes, if a LEO is in uniform, the gun is part of the uniform and he can't remove it/leave it somewhere else. May not have been the best move to go their in uniform these days, at least not without calling ahead to the director of security for the facility and based on that conversation go or wait until he was off-duty and out of uniform.

Recognizing that, the LEO should have realized that he was not exempt (just like my bar card does not allow me to bypass security at federal court). The LEO should have left, and I highly doubt the situation unfolded precisely as told in the article.

Security guard pulls gun on Lucas County Sheriff's deputy

What took place in the missing time between 10:51:27 and 10:52:59?

No- Win???? Some Paul Blart pulls a gun on a cop walking away from him and points it at his back......the win, is that the cop didn't shoot the Rent A Cop in the face. And what's the cop supposed to do when he takes lunch, take off his uniform and stow the gun in the trunk??? The cop haters on this mb are a bunch of clowns. Must have been a rash of cops diddling little boys years ago.

IRS and others now contract private security, no longer are the places watched by Fed Protective Services. About 10 yrs ago Otis ANG went from armed soldiers at the gates to private security. It was so much easier with the soldiers, they didn't have small penis syndrome like the security guards

I predict that in the coming years the cop will win his lawsuit on the grounds of qualified immunity, the single largest constitutional loophole of all time.

No- Win???? Some Paul Blart pulls a gun on a cop walking away from him and points it at his back......the win, is that the cop didn't shoot the Rent A Cop in the face. And what's the cop supposed to do when he takes lunch, take off his uniform and stow the gun in the trunk??? The cop haters on this mb are a bunch of clowns. Must have been a rash of cops diddling little boys years ago.

Yes. Should he need to pass security somewhere he can either disarm, which by department policy might require that he change out of uniform, or he can do it another time. I have nothing against him doing errands, but why are you acting like he is entitled to stay armed in a federal building just because?

Yes, pulling a gun on someone is indeed use of lethal force.

Not in a federal building it isn't. When I went for my IRS audits, I went thru a metal detector, they had an x-ray machine, etc. Some of their guards are decent folks, some aren't even at the level of trained monkeys . . . they are a contract company and I doubt that they give them any training at all.

I'd tend to disagree with the simple presentation of a firearm as being a universal 'deadly force' activation. Maybe in Mass, but it's not universal.

Yes, most of the security is now contracted out. The one's at my building do train, occasionally. Not sure if a leap year is more frequent though.

And yes, if a LEO is in uniform, the gun is part of the uniform and he can't remove it/leave it somewhere else. May not have been the best move to go there in uniform these days, at least not without calling ahead to the director of security for the facility and based on that conversation go or wait until he was off-duty and out of uniform.

There's plenty of things I can't do and places I can't go even when not working but just on call at my "civilian" job. I don't expect businesses or government agencies to change their policies to accommodate me because of restrictions I've chosen to accept as part of my career choice.
Of course he's entitled to do the same sort of things that civilians do during their work hours. LEOs are still civilians... Right?

Imagine working security at some federal building, turning a uniformed cop away because he didn't disarm, and then following him out into the parking lot pointing a gun at his back and trying to arrest him? Either the security guard is too stupid for the job or there's more to this story that somehow justified him trying to arrest the cop. I'm guessing the former, though there's probably some sort of powertripping douchebag v. powertripping douchebag element to it as well.

I agree. (1) I'm not a cop hater, (2) cops are civilians just like we little people and (3) the deputy acted unreasonably.

Seriously, if I were planning to mow down a bunch of harmless IRS employees I'd walk in dressed as a LEO. We sheeple are all well-conditioned to obey authoritah at all times so what better way to roll?

The Isabella Gardner Stewart Museum was robbed by crooks dressed as cops and the security guards lay down and followed orders.

Just because 99.9% of ebil terr'ists are FBI patsies doesn't mean there's not a smart evildoer out there waiting to act.

Disclaimer: I haven't actually read the news item yet. :)

Back
Top Bottom