• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Securing a compensator?

The Edge Lab

Dealer
NES Member
I was told by a gunsmith at a gun show that there was a DIY product that satisfies the AWB requirement for attaching a muzzle device permanently. It was basically a super Loctite. Does anything like this ring a bell with anyone?

EDIT: I wonder if its this product below as it requires a torch to remove. However now I recall there needs to be a mechanical bond also like a pin.

yeah I think thats what it is thanks!

Loctite Red needs a torch also to come off.
So Im getting all my info from Google. I havent actually found the AWB specs on what temp the thread locker needs to be but... It seems it needs to withstand 1100 degrees, where as the red Loctite is removed at 500 degrees for 5 minutes. So according to my Google search that does not satisfy. The Rocksett holds to 2000 degrees.

how long does it take to set up ? If you screw up and over align the comp, do you have time to unscrew it, because at that point youre going to have to start over with a new crushwasher.....And how hard is it to clean off the stuff you put on in the first application ?

Not an expert here but I believe Rocksett is water soluble to remove. High temperature silver solder or blind pin and weld are the commonly accepted methods of compliance for the purposes of ATF barrel length questions.

Not an expert here but I believe Rocksett is water soluble to remove. High temperature silver solder or blind pin and weld are the commonly accepted methods of compliance for the purposes of ATF barrel length questions.
Yeah I think the instructions say hot water and soak overnight. I may just pin and silver solder it. Ive done that before and it was very simple job. I followed this guys instructions but silver soldered at the end.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owSVm67Wbfs

how long does it take to set up ? If you screw up and over align the comp, do you have time to unscrew it, because at that point youre going to have to start over with a new crushwasher.....And how hard is it to clean off the stuff you put on in the first application ?
I dont know about setup time. Good question.

Did you pin and silver solder the one you mention before, or just silver solder it? I've read a bunch of forums where people have just completely silver soldered their muzzle device without pinning it.

Did you pin and silver solder the one you mention before, or just silver solder it? I've read a bunch of forums where people have just completely silver soldered their muzzle device without pinning it.
I pinned it. It was really easy. I used the shank of a drill bit. Nerve racking for sure drilling into the barrel but it was pretty straight forward.

anything with Green 601 Loctite requires a G.D. torch to get off, in addition to a lot of force.

Back
Top Bottom