• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Second Amendment question

OP: yes, the distinction you made in your post is false. "Arms" include all types of weaponry. Private citizens owned cannon and even armed ships at the time of the Revolution. The Constitution in Article 1, section 8 gives Congress the power to grant letters of marque and reprisal, which authorize a privately-owned ship to make war on behalf of the country. Changing technology doesn't change constitutional principles.

This is where letters of marque and reprisal come in. This is what Blackwater (out whatever their name is today) is. Private mercenaries have been around forever and are a core concept that parallels 2A
Talk is not about private mercs, more of, say, private mercs operating stealth bombers. Which can be affordable for some corps.

I know more than the average bear about the effects of ionizing radiation thanks to working in the nuclear industry my whole career. I have also done a ton of reading on WMDs, at least the chemical and nuclear kind, and I don't think anyone should own them, especially governments. They have used them to horrific effect already. Prior to 1968 GCA a private citizen could mail-order an artillery piece and ammo for it, and prior to 1934 you walk into the local hardware concern and buy an (actual) automatic rifle or SMG. That's how it should be IMHO.

A couple of wicked good books -
About the cannon that the colonials swiped from under the British noses at Boston Common & hid out in Concord (but hid a couple of days before 4/19)
Amazon product ASIN 1594162492View: https://www.amazon.com/Road-Concord-Revolutionary-American-Revolution/dp/1594162492

Malcolm used to be a professor at Bentley:
"To Keep and Bear Arms: The Origins of an Anglo-American Right"
Amazon product ASIN 0674893077View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0674893077/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i3

would be silly to argue there. i am not talking of them there, as all what happens there is moronic.
i was talking more about swiss. how a society surrounded by mostly unfriendly (historically) nations survives and how it structures their norms and regulations.
Switzerland is a great place, I have spent a fair amount of time there. About the only military they’d ever be able to stop are the French. Maybe the Italians. They aren’t “neutral” because of their military, they’re neutral because of their financial system and the benevolence of their neighbors

Back
Top Bottom