Seattle Judge upholds ATF's Decision Banning Ammo Designed For AK-47's

The problems in this situations are:

1) The article linked to is clueless.

2) The fact that ATF originally gave the company permission to import the 7N6 ammo and then pulled the rug out from under them only after CPB questioned it.

3) The vague and virtually meaningless "which may be used in a handgun" wording in the 'armor piercing' definition in § 921(17)(B)(i). This is really what is causing the problem, because of one obscure and unobtainable handgun that can shoot 5.45x39.

I haven't read the decision in this case, but if I were a judge I'd be asking how that 'may be used' wording has been interpreted in the past. It's the key to the whole case. Without any precedent, it seems so vague as to be at the political whim of the judge.

I saw this coming a long time ago, it was only a matter of time. Look at it this way, The key words are "May be used". When gun companies started making handguns with interchangeable barrels that could fire rifle cartridges it was only a matter of time that this kind of decision would come about. Think further there are now AR styled pistols and AK styled pistols, Folks, I don't like it but the manufactures and the market played right into the hands of the Gun Gestapo.

Olympic Arms really stepped on their dicks with that one...

1994 Steel-Core Importation Ban BATF, Olympic Arms, and that "cheap" Chinese 7.62x39mm

I disagree: This was only a matter of time. The loose cannons at the ATF would have just made shit up. E.G. The Thompson Contender would trigger bans on most rifle calibers but that hasn't happened. Plus, it was just inevitable that pistol AR's & AK's would be made and evolve. The problem is with the law and its absurdity not the gun.

On another note, does 7.62 steel core out of an 8" bbl really penetrate level III & IV body armor? I'm skeptical.

On another note, does 7.62 steel core out of an 8" bbl really penetrate level III & IV body armor? I'm skeptical.

Its not if or can its what "WE" tell you is evil. So yes based on what they say it can penetrate tank armor at this point.

Jason.

I think you need to paint the tip green for the penetrator round to work. If you paint them all black they will go right through a tank and suck everything out the other side like in space. I seen it on youtube.

Best I could find was this video showing Steel-Core 7.62x54R fired out of a rifle failing to pen a Level III.

Last edited by a moderator:
If 54R can't get through level III does x39 have a chance? 54R has a higher velocity and nearly twice the energy as 39 so my gut says no but we need a real world test.

Any volunteers?

Back
Top Bottom