• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sears 1897 catalogue Handguns + Rifles (Air, Bicycle, Floberts and Repeaters)

Damn, those H&R top breaks don't hold their value very well. Adjusted for inflation, they should be worth $92. Today, one would be lucky to get $35 for one LOL. Wait, I take that back: Sell to a 2020 newb for $400.

Damn, those H&R top breaks don't hold their value very well. Adjusted for inflation, they should be worth $92. Today, one would be lucky to get $35 for one LOL. Wait, I take that back: Sell to a 2020 newb for $400.

I got $1 in 1897 is $31.10 in 2019 dollars.

So the 68 Cent revolver would be $21.15 and the Colt SAA would be $402.75...

Last edited:
and there you go, toilet paper for a month...or two just like the original...unless the reprint is on glossy paper [thinking]

and there you go, toilet paper for a month...or two just like the original...unless the reprint is on glossy paper [thinking]

No not glossy, on thicker paper then the Sears catalogue I remember as a child... happy memories of circling all the things I wanted for Christmas with my Sister... mostly things they would never get like BB guns, Go Carts and Computers... I did wear them down and talked them into a Crossmen 760 Powermaster when I was 9 or 10 I think.

Last edited:
So where do I send my order for the Colt Govt Double action .44. 5 1/2” barrel ?

$13.75. I think I can swing that

Well first you need one of two things...

1. A TARDIS (Looks like a Blue pay phone box)

2. A Flux Capacitor (Talk to Doc Brown)

Depending on the model and condition, they're going for about $150 today, sometimes $200. The "Bicycle" models, ones with a 2 inch barrel, those can go up to $500 given there weren't many of them made.

I love the ads for these turn of the 20th Century revolvers. H&R and Iver Johnson aren't around anymore and given their age people view them as trash today. Because the companies that made a lot of these guns are no longer around, people tend to think everyone who had a gun back then must have had a Colt or S&W and that was not the case 120 years ago. H&R, H&A, and Iver Johnson were the Kel Tecs, Taurus, and SCCY pistols of their time and a LOT of people bought them. H&R made millions of guns before Pearl Harbor was attacked, 1.5 million of the Young America revolvers alone.

I've become so enamored with the old H&R guns that I've been keeping my eye out for them. The post war revolvers like the 632, 732, 925, and 926 were alright, but they don't have that appeal or look of the late 1800s.

Depending on the model and condition, they're going for about $150 today, sometimes $200. The "Bicycle" models, ones with a 2 inch barrel, those can go up to $500 given there weren't many of them made.

Gramp's H&R 22 revolver is actually a very good shooter. I think the barrel is 6 or 7 inches. It's cool that it was made in Worcester. You are right- even the lowly Iver Johnsons are going for $135 to $200. The only ones I see selling for ~$500 are nickel plated in exc condition.

To quote myself...
... Best graffiti ever was over the urinal in the men's room at the Back Behind Restaurant in West Bilgewater, Vermont. The wallpaper design used to be Sears, Roebuck catalog illustrations, and one of the images was a housewife cranking a Cataract washing machine. Some wag had neatly blacked-out her eyes...
O.M.G., someone put it on a coffee mug!
s-l1600.jpg

Here's a retouched version:
Graffiti.jpg

Maybe you had to micturate there to appreciate it.

Speaking of Bicycle Rifles... and Rifles in general... B9005FA1-A0BE-4869-9597-5916312C721A.jpeg B88B8E7C-1EAC-49CF-AF02-47F60C33DF5D.jpeg 5449F605-EA47-4609-8968-19C0BD3E497F.jpeg E46BF79C-8E8A-40C5-A219-CD2997FD24D4.jpeg 7B7D1730-611D-4B21-AB8A-489CDB2D5A8D.jpeg

Any interest in the Shotgun or Ammo sections? One of the Shotguns had a price of $187.50 in 1897... the would be over $5,831 in today’s dollars...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom