Searching Fourm

I was trying to search the forum for the topic "house gun". When I did so every post that contained the word house or the work gun was returned. I tried it as:
house gun
"house gun"
+house +gun
house &gun

Is there any way to search for an exact phrase?

Thanks,
Patrick

Try using google's advanced search. You can search a specific phrase. Just use northeastshooters.com in the domain. Works like a charm.

Advanced Search issues

I was searching for "Sig" under classified and got no results. Am I doing something wrong, or is the advanced search broken?

I always use google, but these advanced searches are much easier.

Can't search for something with 3 letters.

Found myself doing the same thing with m1a a while ago

Thats it, thanks. Should be a notice in the type area or the results.

Kinda wish you could do m11 m16 m14 ak etc...

How about changing the default setting in the search to "Sort by Relevancy" rather than "Last Posting Date"? If I'm searching for "keeping magazines loaded" I don't really want the most recent post with "loaded" or "magazine" or "keeping" in it.

It might help more pertinent threads to float to the top for those who assume (as I did at first) that the search works like every other search engine...

Last time this came up, I requested a button to link to the Google search described above be put on the "tool bar" at the top of the forum next to the forum search button. Don't know if it is possible or not.

I must be completely clueless... I can't find anything on the ramifications of ccw with an empty firearm... advanced search or google with northeastshooters.com. [frown]

I must be completely clueless... I can't find anything on the ramifications of ccw with an empty firearm... advanced search or google with northeastshooters.com. [frown]

Well a simple advanced search for POSTS (not threads) containing "unloaded" in it yielded this that you might consider pertinent.

Chapter 140: Section 131C. Carrying of firearms in a vehicle

Section 131C. (a) No person carrying a loaded firearm under a Class A license issued under section 131 or 131F shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(b) No person carrying a firearm under a Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(c) No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class A or Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000.

Doing the advanced search on "unloaded" I came up with 11 pages of posts with that in them.

And if you can't carry an UNLOADED firearm with a LTC-B in a vehicle, do you REALLY think that LE will allow you to carry it OUTSIDE the vehicle (in public)?

Doing the advanced search on "unloaded" I came up with 11 pages of posts with that in them.
11 pages. You want someone to winnow through 11 pages instead of just asking the simple question again? Somehow that just doesn't seem right, and yes, I know, some get tired of the same question over and over, but that isn't the case with most of the questions that are objected to.

I post in many support forums - you will never, ever see me posting to search if I know the answer.

Ann, that is like saying we shouldn't ask people to use Google to search for something! After all we usually end up with something like 100K+ hits on a term that you search for!

Just because I point out that there are 11 pages of posts using that term:

- Does not mean that the OP won't find his/her answer in the first few posts that he/she looks at . . . that is after all the theory we use when we use Google.

- I did post the stuff from MGLs to also answer the question.

- Personally I do NOT keep an "online library" of this data. I actually look it up every time someone asks and I post a response. Do you have any idea how many hours/week I spend looking this stuff up and typing in/cut and paste (only in some cases) this info? Sometime ask Deena how many hours/day I'm on here!

- I don't always have the time to dig up the info and want to do what I can to make others realize that they should "look first and ask later" only if it's not already been covered here dozens of times. Teach to fish vs. giving a fish?

Thanks LenS... I guess. But I was specifically looking for the info that implies you cannot CCW with an unloaded gun with a class A. I am familiar with what you found.

I agree with Ann too.... I guess I use this and other forum as recreational and not just as a library. I'll keep looking.

- Personally I do NOT keep an "online library" of this data. I actually look it up every time someone asks and I post a response. Do you have any idea how many hours/week I spend looking this stuff up and typing in/cut and paste (only in some cases) this info? Sometime ask Deena how many hours/day I'm on here!
Yes, Len, I am fully aware of how much time it takes, I do it myself in the PDA forum I moderate. I've got a little program called Clipmate on my machine that I keep snippets of info in so I can easily answer frequently asked questions without putting myself out too much. I've collected quite a few blurbs, it helps out immensely.

- I don't always have the time to dig up the info and want to do what I can to make others realize that they should "look first and ask later" only if it's not already been covered here dozens of times. Teach to fish vs. giving a fish?
You're not teaching anyone to fish, you're helping them out with some serious info that if they missearch on, could cause them severe trouble.

It has irked me for years that people in forums, mailing lists, newsgroups, whatever, get upset when someone asks what they consider is a rudimentary question - especially when that person has said they tried to search and were unsuccessful. If you don't want to answer, then don't. It just seems churlish to insinuate that the poster is too lazy to search, etc. rather than realize that a: I know the answer b: I learned it from somewhere once, when I was new at things and c: It was awful nice of that person to take the time to help me learn.

Yes, the search function is thorough (11 pages is, however, too thorough), and well worth exploring - but again, if the search has been fruitless why not just answer the question, or if you know of a way to hone the question to get more concise answers, suggest that, rather than the blanket "Search for your own answer" that so often is offered.

Sorry, Len, but this is something that really bothers me, you just pulled my string, nothing personal meant. I'll climb down now.

soapbox.gif

Last edited:
Thanks LenS... I guess. But I was specifically looking for the info that implies you cannot CCW with an unloaded gun with a class A. I am familiar with what you found.

I agree with Ann too.... I guess I use this and other forum as recreational and not just as a library. I'll keep looking.

You won't find any law that says it in those words.

WRT to the classes of LTCs, it is written in a way that states what is permitted (as opposed to what is forbidden). Chief Ron Glidden's interpretations are based on his discussions with Cheryl Jacques, her legal staff, Bill Pickett, EOPS legal staff, etc. on what the INTENT was of their poorly worded law. It's been taught to most every LEO in MA who was willing to learn the firearms laws here, it is often quoted by legal counsel in court cases, etc.

For most of our purposes, it can be treated as gospel, because unless you are willing to spend >$50K to refute it with better legal proponents, you are likely to lose everything in court if some cop/chief objects to what you want to do.

HTH

Ann, one last response on searching:

- Many members of the forum "don't see" the Sticky posts (that does answer many questions here),

- Many members of the forum aren't familiar with the search mechanism or how to use the Advanced Search mechanism,

- I don't like that the User CP auto-sets only showing 30 days worth of posts. This adds to the search problem as most don't realize the depth of info here and if they don't see the titles, they don't think to dig further.

- It's not that I don't want to answer, it's that I want to educate them by pointing out where and how to find the info. In most cases, I answer the question again in the same post that I point out that they should use the search tool. Tips like searching on the title takes down the number of hits, searching by poster's name does too, etc. vs. a blind search of a single word.
That's what I consider trying to teach them to fish.

Guys, instead of stickies and grumpy posts (you know who you are), why don't we start putting together a FAQ for each forum - or maybe one big FAQ? I mean, we've got the header for the FAQ but there seems to be very little in it.

Have at it!

"He who proposes, disposes!"

Hardly anyone reads the Stickies or the Announcements as it is. FAQs will go the same way, it's human nature not to bother "RTFM" . . .

But it's still a good idea. Feel free to take what's already been posted numerous times and compile it in some sensible format to fit a topic.

BTW, TTBOMK, Mods can't change/add anything to the FAQ . . . that's part of the structure of a forum that only the Admin can diddle with.

Guys, instead of stickies and grumpy posts (you know who you are), why don't we start putting together a FAQ for each forum - or maybe one big FAQ? I mean, we've got the header for the FAQ but there seems to be very little in it.

...or a better search? One that allows 3 letter words and stuff.

That, and add the Google button to all forum pages if possible. Have it automatically put in the site:northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/ info so it is all set up and ready to roll.

I use a Firefox extension called Context Search, which lets you select any text and search whatever engines you have installed into your browser. I use this and the Dictionary Search extension a lot.

Hope that helps someone.

For an example of putting the google search into a forum, I just saw one today here:

http://www.howardforums.com/search.php?

They have both the same built-in BBS forum search as NES, plus a Google search on the same page.

By the way, I found this forum looking for some cell phone info.

Back
Top Bottom