Searching for a Career outside of Healthcare

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been an LPN for 15 years. I have no interest in going back for my RN as yes I would be "better off" but the job wouldn't change virtually at all. At that point might as well become a Nurse Practitioner or PA. No interest in that either.

If I am going to invest in career education it isn't going to be in Healthcare.

I am almost 40.. I have moved to North Carolina recently.. I just cant stand Massachusetts anymore.

I have some career ideas that won't generate initially as much money as being a nurse.. but have potential to get close to what I make now if not more.

Remember I am an LPN so I make about $23 an hour. Usually I make more than $23 but I work 2 jobs right now.

One at (12 hours x 4 days 2 days at each job= 48 hours a week). I have no debt, no children, no wife. Its just me, my SIG P365 with a 15 round spare magazine and a bunch of older S&W pre hillary lock Revolvers and my S&W 3rd Generation Semi-Autos.

I can't see my self doing nursing for another 30 years. More and more paperwork, "Compliance" with governmental agencies, and insurance requirements.. I barely spend anytime with the patients some days to find out what is truly going on and help comfort that patient through what is more then likely the most difficult time in their lives.

Plus I want a retirement job.. where I actually have a chance to retire and do a career 1-2 days on the side during retirement.

In the Meantime my plan would be to do a Nursing job say 2 days a week.. and then go into a different career field until I can make enough money to phase out all nursing jobs.

What career field you may ask? I am a nerd at heart. I am looking for a technical blue color career.

Fiber Optics: This interests me because I always have been interested in telephone stuff. I want to be an installer and maybe design systems.. This job won't probably be automated anytime soon because physical fiber optic media has to be maintained and installed. There are some online schools for this? What is the best way into this field? I found this online: Certified Fiber Optic Installer – (TR-CFI)

Heavy Equipment Operator: I have always liked this kind of stuff. My grandfather was a member of the Local 4 Operator's Union operating mostly cranes and occasionally dump trucks. Would this be worth it? I don't know it seemed that up until the big dig era (1990s) and when my grandfather had super seniority in his 50s he was unemployed most of the time in the Union in New England. The Local up in Raleigh (I'm in Charlotte) does have training. Also safety is paramount in this field.. not just anyone can run heavy equipment safely and efficiently.

Truck Driver: I would get my CDL Class A go over the road and eventually taper down to driving say a Propane Truck or hauling cars or something. However, the variables of pay are wide in this.. and I think some of the bigger companies will automate trucking at some point. I don't think it would hurt me to at least have a CDL Class B and learn to operate a manual transmission.

Manufacturing Technology: While this seems interesting.. Its unclear weather this is just job where one would run a machine all day and not make much above minimum wage. What I find really interesting is they still actual manufacture things down here unlike Massachusetts which has seen most major manufacturing move down south or overseas. Altec (the bucket truck company is nearby), Thomas Schoolbuses, Freightliner, Timkin Bearings, you name it NC makes almost everything it seems.

The goal here is to find something that gets me out of healthcare.. either partially or fully. I know work is work.. and I'm not going to find my dream job.

Whats the NES opinion on any of these fields? Also please add any other fields that I may be similar.

Thanks

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
skip any thought of a CDL driver as a career. If you could get a CDL as part of a career as a heavy equipment operator so you could drive tri-axle dumps that would be another thing, but a CDL A driver makes crap for the first few years and the working conditions are brutal.

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
skip any thought of a CDL driver as a career. If you could get a CDL as part of a career as a heavy equipment operator so you could drive tri-axle dumps that would be another thing, but a CDL A driver makes crap for the first few years and the working conditions are brutal.
This.

I had my class A and turned it in when I stopped working.

Bob

Roadglide

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cdl and heavy equipment as a career......no. Not at your age (I'm not calling you old btw) Those are young persons games (like 20's young) where you start at the bottom (below the bottom in some cases) and spend years working your way to better conditions and pay. Now if you have the time and the money I would say it wouldn't hurt to get your class B cdl and try to back door your way into some experience and it could be a part time supplement for now and maybe if you choose to piddle around after retirement. If you really are interested I would suggest maybe looking at a public works/highway department down there. If they are anything like they are up here its not a bad option. Decent pay and benefits, security and overtime. And believe me when I tell you, driving and operating may look easy but its not. It's physically and mentally demanding. Ive done both locally but do more operating now. Eight to ten hours of bouncing around in a loader or excavator and I'm spent. And I'm not much older than you. Good luck.

Last edited:

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
shipping and receiving is a rewarding career, no responsibility, no paperwork. put in box. close flaps, tape, on pallet....rinse and repeat.

i have a friend who retrieves bodies for a local funeral home. he likes to tell me he'll never be laid off so job security is a plus.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been an LPN for 15 years. I have no interest in going back for my RN as yes I would be "better off" but the job wouldn't change virtually at all. At that point might as well become a Nurse Practitioner or PA. No interest in that either.

I am almost 40.. I have moved to North Carolina recently.. I just cant stand Massachusetts anymore.

I have some career ideas that won't generate initially as much money as being a nurse.. but have potential to get close to what I make now if not more.

Remember I am an LPN so I make about $23 an hour. Usually I make more than $23 but I work 2 jobs right now.

One at (12 hours x 4 days 2 days at each job= 48 hours a week). I have no debt, no children, no wife. Its just me, my SIG P365 with a 15 round spare magazine and a bunch of older S&W pre hillary lock Revolvers and my S&W 3rd Generation Semi-Autos.

I can't see my self doing nursing for another 30 years. More and more paperwork, "Compliance" with governmental agencies, and insurance requirements.. I barely spend anytime with the patients some days to find out what is truly going on and help comfort that patient through what is more then likely the most difficult time in their lives.

Plus I want a retirement job.. where I actually have a chance to retire and do a career 1-2 days on the side during retirement.

In the Meantime my plan would be to do a Nursing job say 2 days a week.. and then go into a different career field until I can make enough money to phase out all nursing jobs.

What career field you may ask? I am a nerd at heart. I am looking for a technical blue color career.

Fiber Optics: This interests me because I always have been interested in telephone stuff. I want to be an installer and maybe design systems.. This job won't probably be automated anytime soon because physical fiber optic media has to be maintained and installed. There are some online schools for this? What is the best way into this field? I found this online: Certified Fiber Optic Installer – (TR-CFI)

Heavy Equipment Operator: I have always liked this kind of stuff. My grandfather was a member of the Local 4 Operator's Union operating mostly cranes and occasionally dump trucks. Would this be worth it? I don't know it seemed that up until the big dig era (1990s) and when my grandfather had super seniority in his 50s he was unemployed most of the time in the Union in New England. The Local up in Raleigh (I'm in Charlotte) does have training. Also safety is paramount in this field.. not just anyone can run heavy equipment safely and efficiently.

Truck Driver: I would get my CDL Class A go over the road and eventually taper down to driving say a Propane Truck or hauling cars or something. However, the variables of pay are wide in this.. and I think some of the bigger companies will automate trucking at some point. I don't think it would hurt me to at least have a CDL Class B and learn to operate a manual transmission.

Manufacturing Technology: While this seems interesting.. Its unclear weather this is just job where one would run a machine all day and not make much above minimum wage. What I find really interesting is they still actual manufacture things down here unlike Massachusetts which has seen most major manufacturing move down south or overseas. Altec (the bucket truck company is nearby), Thomas Schoolbuses, Freightliner, Timkin Bearings, you name it NC makes almost everything it seems.

The goal here is to find something that gets me out of healthcare.. either partially or fully. I know work is work.. and I'm not going to find my dream job.

Whats the NES opinion on any of these fields? Also please add any other fields that I may be similar.

Thanks
U are almost 40, do u wanna start off lower than whale shit is some kind of trade/apprentice type job making peanuts to start? If u are a nerd why would u want to get into heavy equipment and truck driving? Some of your work schedule ideas are a little far fetched. Good luck telling your boss u can only work 2 days a week in any kind of manual labor/trade type job. If your gonna jump ship do it! I worked with a 60 year old 1st year apprentice once. He was a retired IT guy and in great shape with mortgage paid off and kids out of college. He crushed it and went on to get his electrical license and work a few more years before fully retiring down in Mecca (Naples,FL). So either go all in or stay miserable in Healthcare. U can do it!

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet the hive mind of NES is providing you solid advice on
the realities of your "what if" alternative careers.

But if the core issue is that you're burned out on paperwork,
and it's keeping you away from the one-on-one patient care
that motivated your original career choice,
your first stop ought to be getting advice from a nursing forum
to see if there are roles that have much less of what you hate and more of what you crave.
Then you leverage your training, certification, and experience

If you get mindshare from someone that's already working your dream job.
you might be surprised at the jobs you can shift to
which don't have the same BS,

By talking with other professionals in the field,
you might even discover that you'd been working at a place with
crappier red tape than average and you just need to jump ship to a competitor.

Also, check out the faculty directory where you studied.
Maybe someone you respect is still plugging away there,
and you can get quality time from someone with broad perspective.

=====
If you do have to start casting about for a different career,
consider borrowing The Proximity Principle on interlibrary loan.
(I haven't read it, but) it will be heavy on pragmatics like
developing relationships with people in your prospective target careers.

One bit of advice I just saw again was that it's foolish to
start out wasting time and money on training and certifications
in careers that have non-credentialed entry paths,
without considering the tradeoffs.

I can't promise it, but I'm hoping the book includes a process
for inventorying your likes, dislikes, and skills to shape your career choice.

Hell, before I discovered electronics (and then programming) in secondary school,
I was eyeing Chemist or Forest Fire Observer.
Totally similar jobs, right? I was lucky to find what I love,
but if I hadn't, I know I'd have benefited from systematic introspection.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet the hive mind of NES is providing you solid advice on
the realities of your "what if" alternative careers.

But if the core issue is that you're burned out on paperwork,
and it's keeping you away from the one-on-one patient care
that motivated your original career choice,
your first stop ought to be getting advice from a nursing forum
to see if there are roles that have much less of what you hate and more of what you crave.
Then you leverage your training, certification, and experience

If you get mindshare from someone that's already working your dream job.
you might be surprised at the jobs you can shift to
which don't have the same BS,

By talking with other professionals in the field,
you might even discover that you'd been working at a place with
crappier red tape than average and you just need to jump ship to a competitor.

Also, check out the faculty directory where you studied.
Maybe someone you respect is still plugging away there,
and you can get quality time from someone with broad perspective.

=====
If you do have to start casting about for a different career,
consider borrowing The Proximity Principle on interlibrary loan.
(I haven't read it, but) it will be heavy on pragmatics like
developing relationships with people in your prospective target careers.

One bit of advice I just saw again was that it's foolish to
start out wasting time and money on training and certifications
in careers that have non-credentialed entry paths,
without considering the tradeoffs.

I can't promise it, but I'm hoping the book includes a process
for inventorying your likes, dislikes, and skills to shape your career choice.

Hell, before I discovered electronics (and then programming) in secondary school,
I was eyeing Chemist or Forest Fire Observer.
Totally similar jobs, right? I was lucky to find what I love,
but if I hadn't, I know I'd have benefited from systematic introspection.
Tells OP not to come here for career advice...then tells OP to get advice from book he has never read.😂😂😂😂😂

CrossFaced

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Find a utility company that's got a good rep. Maybe become a lineman(not the NFL type), pipe fitter, equipment operator , IT guy etc... Generally very well paying with good benefits, room for advancement, multiple departments and good retirement plans.

TrashcanDan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

Thanks
Heavy Equipment operator- No. Pretty sure in N.C. you don't need a Hyd Lic like you would have up here. You're overqualified, severely. Ever hear the term "License and a Pulse"?
You'd probably have to start as a laborer, so Extra No.
I do it on the side and still don't know what carries more gravel- A front-end loader or the dead space between peoples ears.
Get on with a Crane Company if you're heading down that road.

Truck Driver- Might fly outside of the Northeast, but keep in mind you might have to long-haul to a terminal in a b.d.c. Again, License and a Pulse. Always reminds of the Grateful Dead song Casey Jones. Or at least for every one good driver, theres 2 crackheads that don't speak english very well behind the wheel.
If you're single and like Meth and Lot lizards, maybe long-haul is for you.

Can you get on with a municipality down there? Do a little of everything?
Check V.A. job listings if your a vet ( I look every so often)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
License and a Pulse haha there are some nursing jobs like that.

There are plenty of municipalities down here. I think getting a Class A or Class B would be a good foundation to grow from there. I am aware I would have to all in to whatever career field I would decide. I would be phasing out nursing since its 24/7 one or two days a week is all I would need financially to support myself during the training of whatever career field. One of the posters makes a strong good point. I don't want to go into a career field just to be stuck working for years as a laborer for peanuts. I know all jobs suck.. I just want one where I go in work and do A-B-C-D. I appreciate the replies so far.

TrashcanDan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you're a vet, check out the v.a.
Even if you're not, check that sh!t out. There was a big push a few years ago.

I know you want to get out of healthcare, but theres a night and day difference when I go to the Civi Primaries office and when I go to the V.A.
They all seem......................happy. Less stressed out.

AJK129

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my company is still looking for technicians or operators. Manufacturing located in Mass though.

A lot of companies are usually looking for operators, especially if you have even a hint of a brain and can get to work on time.

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tells OP not to come here for career advice...then tells OP to get advice from book he has never read.
Just call me a "force multiplier", LOL.

(But I didn't say I haven't heard the author give advice -
I just said that I didn't haul off and read his book).

OP could find YoutUbe videos
of Ken Coleman giving exactly the advice he needs,
but he might have to watch 4x-5x as many in the process.

I'm not gonna tell him to spend days sifting videos when
he can just borrow the book for free (or even peek at
the table of contents on Amazon) and whiffread it.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Lol just prepare yourself for the 90% likelihood you'll be back in Nursing. Friend of mine tried to get away from his career working in looney bins but the bin always paid more.

All jobs are work, most are just varying degrees of shit that's why they call it work. I wouldn't consider leaving anything good unless you're trying to upgrade in a big way. Or it pisses you off so much you hate it. Most of the things you described are not likely upgrades.

View: https://youtu.be/_QFbI5BO5es

wahsben

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
About the only jobs you'll find that will give you anywhere near the pay and benefits that you probably get now at a hospital would be a government job. Have you thought of a different job in the medical field such as a technician in a lab or radiology etc.

Wickedcoolname

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thanks
Get a job with a pension. Police, fire, corrections, post office, highway department, etc.
You'll probably start by working overnight or second shift which would leave you free to do the nursing gig part time.

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P. S.
OP could find YoutUbe videos
of Ken Coleman giving exactly the advice he needs,
but he might have to watch 4x-5x as many in the process.

I'm not gonna tell him to spend days sifting videos ...
Except for Singaporean Everijob ads; they're must-see.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol just prepare yourself for the 90% likelihood you'll be back in Nursing. Friend of mine tried to get away from his career working in looney bins but the bin always paid more.

All jobs are work, most are just varying degrees of shit that's why they call it work. I wouldn't consider leaving anything good unless you're trying to upgrade in a big way. Or it pisses you off so much you hate it. Most of the things you described are not likely upgrades.

View: https://youtu.be/_QFbI5BO5es
Exactly the predicament I am. Why work 40 hours a week when I can work 36 hours in 3 days and be done for the week. With the pay rate high enough to just work 36, I do work every other weekend. As I do further research I have learned a few things.

1. Non Licensed trades require something called experience and depending on what your doing a Myriad of certifications. Example I have never formally worked around ladders... to the company I don't have enough experience with ladders and in their eyes would just place the ladder into the power lines. This kind of field would have been something to pursue if I went to Voke school in the 1990s.

2. Licensed trades you start off as an apprentice which doesn't pay much and depending on the trade takes years until your able to work on your own by yourself.

3. It really wouldn't be an upgrade at all these job fields..it would be a way out if Nursing... but then again all jobs suck.. I work in "lower risk" areas of Nursing... dealing with more of behavioral issues with patients and families and end of life care. I could stay an LPN I do pretty good at this. I have never been unemployed since I started 15 years ago. I make more to start as a new grad RN would.

4. Maybe get my CDL as a Back up career.. or just say F- it skip that $5K or so in training and get an older pick up truck that still runs well and learn to drive a standard.. There are a TON of rust free trucks down here. It isn't uncommon to see someone driving a Ford F-150 survivor from the late 70s as a daily driver here in NC.

wahsben

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Exactly the predicament I am. Why work 40 hours a week when I can work 36 hours in 3 days and be done for the week. With the pay rate high enough to just work 36, I do work every other weekend. As I do further research I have learned a few things.

1. Non Licensed trades require something called experience and depending on what your doing a Myriad of certifications. Example I have never formally worked around ladders... to the company I don't have enough experience with ladders and in their eyes would just place the ladder into the power lines. This kind of field would have been something to pursue if I went to Voke school in the 1990s.

2. Licensed trades you start off as an apprentice which doesn't pay much and depending on the trade takes years until your able to work on your own by yourself.

3. It really wouldn't be an upgrade at all these job fields..it would be a way out if Nursing... but then again all jobs suck.. I work in "lower risk" areas of Nursing... dealing with more of behavioral issues with patients and families and end of life care. I could stay an LPN I do pretty good at this. I have never been unemployed since I started 15 years ago. I make more to start as a new grad RN would.

4. Maybe get my CDL as a Back up career.. or just say F- it skip that $5K or so in training and get an older pick up truck that still runs well and learn to drive a standard.. There are a TON of rust free trucks down here. It isn't uncommon to see someone driving a Ford F-150 survivor from the late 70s as a daily driver here in NC.
You can get as much or more money per hour driving a school bus in the city but you won't get anywhere near the benefits and you'll have to deal with city kids. Also you're not likely to get 40hrs. in unless you offer to take a lot of charters and you get picked to do those charters.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're a vet, check out the v.a.
Even if you're not, check that sh!t out. There was a big push a few years ago.

I know you want to get out of healthcare, but theres a night and day difference when I go to the Civi Primaries office and when I go to the V.A.
They all seem......................happy. Less stressed out.
What VA are u going to?????? Happy and less stressed out VA employee?? Never seen it! Been going there (multiple locations) for over 20 years as a patient and worked there for 2 years. The place is hell! Stay away!!!!

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You should stay in healthcare. The way things are going, the nurses union is going to get fresh out-of-school airheads attempting to stick a coronary stent up your groin.

Roland Deschain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0

I'm making a career change at age 43. You honestly sound like you aren't ready to make the sacrifice you need to truly get out, but I could be mistaken. How bad do you want out? Ill be losing a lot of money at first to get out, and I have 4 kids to support as well. I just got my CDL permit in order to apply for my apprenticeship, but am confused with your post about getting an f150 and learning to drive a standard. What does that have to do with a CDL? Anyone can do that

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have been an LPN for 15 years. I can't see my self doing nursing for another 30 years. More and more paperwork, "Compliance" with governmental agencies, and insurance requirements.
So.... You may have considered and already rejected this but N.C. is home to at least 4 clinical research organizations. You could leverage your LPN experience and medical knowledge and help patients but contributing to new vaccine and drugs.
look at career pages for IQVIA, PPD, Rho, Covance/Labcore etc. they have look for folks with medical experience in various roles.
Best of luck to you and welcome to NES South

Reactions: AHM
Top Bottom