SD9VE upgrade

Save your money and get a G19, instead of polishing a turd. Putting lipstick on a pig won't get you anywhere. Seriously. It's like putting a comp m5 on a keltec.

I agree with not putting money into it. Have you tried taking it apart and polishing the trigger components?

I have both. The spring kit is a must at $20. The trigger does make a noticeable improvement as well. My only complaint is after installing both the reset is very weak, you really have to just let the trigger go to reset. Beside that it's a decent gun , better than most make it out to be. Plus there are Prebans out there

People tend to lump them in with the Sigmas, but the SD9VEs are reliable and accurate. They suffer from the MA trigger, so a little Apex work can do a lot. And as AM13 noted, there are prebans available, often cheaper than Glock prebans.

the SD9VE is a fine pistol. it was far more reliable than any ruger semi auto i've owned. to the OP- the main upgrades to smooth up the trigger is the apex trigger spring and firing pin block spring. since it's a DAO i would not mess around with the striker spring or else run the risk of light strikes. the trigger bow itself is fine. for $20 this will give you a fantastic trigger: Details

I have both. The spring kit is a must at $20. The trigger does make a noticeable improvement as well. My only complaint is after installing both the reset is very weak, you really have to just let the trigger go to reset. Beside that it's a decent gun , better than most make it out to be. Plus there are Prebans out there

interesting i didn't have this issue with mine. if i did i would probably want to go back to the factory trigger spring to ensure reliability.

the SD9VE is a fine pistol. it was far more reliable than any ruger semi auto i've owned. to the OP- the main upgrades to smooth up the trigger is the apex trigger spring and firing pin block spring. since it's a DAO i would not mess around with the striker spring or else run the risk of light strikes. the trigger bow itself is fine. for $20 this will give you a fantastic trigger: Details

interesting i didn't have this issue with mine. if i did i would probably want to go back to the factory trigger spring to ensure reliability.

Ya IDK the reset issue was just recent after i put the new apex trigger I got during there XMas sale. I did put the factory return spring back and also removed the piece of white felt in the spring thinking it may lighting it up a little, it felt like it helped, but I gotta borrow my father pull gauge to see where it comes in. I could just put the original trigger back but i do like the one piece apex one. I've been meaning to contact APEX and see what they think, just haven't got around to it yet

Last edited:
if check the trigger tension both with before and after firing the striker then can see the difference in pull weight which may be helpful to see how much tension is driving the reset. for DAO pistols like the SD9VE the reset force is like 90% driven by the trigger spring and maybe a little from the firing pin block spring. as you likely know when pistol gets dirty or fouled up one of the first functions to fail is trigger reset so I like to feel a strong push for the trigger to reset. if it feels sluggish or weak that drives me nuts. it's one of the reasons i've always like HK USP or P30 triggers since HK puts strong reset springs in them. certainly doesn't lend itself to a light trigger but ensures reliability.

Looking to upgrade the trigger, Apex trigger spring kit or Apex Enhancement Trigger? Both?

Its a $200 gun but I would like it to be my go to for home defense, after at least a half a case of 9mm after whatever upgrade I decide on?

Recommendations from NEs
Any other suggestions?

I think just realize, that if you put real trigger money into it, you'll never get it back if you sell it. You'll get it back in the accuracy the gun gives you though. And if your never selling the gun....it will make it better.

I just did this with a 45 Shield which I paid 300 for new, night sights, flat faced trigger and forward sear Apex kit were almost the the price of the gun. But I love the gun and the way it carries. And it's easier to put in the trigger while I was doing the sights, so I made the call and said, once this is done, this is a keeper, because I now have 525 into a gun no one will pay more than 300 for.

Good thing is, the trigger and reset are sweet. The gun was shootable before, but now it's better and night sights are a must for a carry setup.

Last edited:
I don’t think putting a $20 spring kit in an sd9 is compatible to a comp m5 on a keltec but I get your point. Since I already own this gun I just wanted a cheap, low cost improvement. Unless someone wants to trade straight up for a g19, I gotta work with what I got. I do have “better quality” pistols, but I enjoy shooting the sd9 for some reason.

Save your money and get a G19, instead of polishing a turd. Putting lipstick on a pig won't get you anywhere. Seriously. It's like putting a comp m5 on a keltec.

$20 spring kit to make shit trigger better is a worthy investment for an otherwise reliable pistol.

I’d be very meh on the actual trigger.

I don’t think putting a $20 spring kit in an sd9 is compatible to a comp m5 on a keltec but I get your point. Since I already own this gun I just wanted a cheap, low cost improvement. Unless someone wants to trade straight up for a g19, I gotta work with what I got. I do have “better quality” pistols, but I enjoy shooting the sd9 for some reason.
I have three, precisely because they're $200 guns. One I actually got for $120 cuz the seller was going to get $70 as trade on a shotgun. When I get out of this shit-hole state I'm gonna drop them in soft cases with a spare mag and leave one in each vehicle just cuz.

Let me know how the trigger job goes, or maybe we can have a "cheap shit gun upgrade party" at my house:)

Four Seasons was just blowing these out for 229. Cash/Credit same price. Not a bad deal. Aren't these almost a Glock replica? didn't they get sued over it?
I would trade my M&P 9c for two of these no problem. I shot one once, I don't think they are what people pretend them to be.
I bet they are just as tough as the Glocks too.

Four Seasons was just blowing these out for 229. Cash/Credit same price. Not a bad deal. Aren't these almost a Glock replica? didn't they get sued over it?
I would trade my M&P 9c for two of these no problem. I shot one once, I don't think they are what people pretend them to be.
I bet they are just as tough as the Glocks too.
I'm laughing my ass off reading this one. Youd trade a gun that works for two guns that probably won't work and are going to literally fall apart? Th sd9ve is a total hunk of shit. I have two friends that bought them......and both wished they hadn't. Both are total jamomatics .

Pretty harsh, is that the issue that you had with the one you owned?
I'm laughing my ass off reading this one. Youd trade a gun that works for two guns that probably won't work and are going to literally fall apart? Th sd9ve is a total hunk of shit. I have two friends that bought them......and both wished they hadn't. Both are total jamomatics .

Listen to Squib308. I have fired a few of them myself and I have never seen one fail. My FFL worked for S&W and he says it's a great gun for the money if you do the trigger on it.

Pretty harsh, is that the issue that you had with the one you owned?
I have two friends that have the sd9ve. They both hate them. Jam all the time no matter what they put through them .One has sent his back to smith 2 times....both times with the response that the gun works. Both friends now leave the POS guns in the safe because they just get annoyed when they take them to the range because they jam too much. Problems are fte and ftc.

It's a $200 gun......you get what you pay for. Trying to "upgrade" the trigger on one of these pigs is an exercise in futility in my opinion .

Mine goes bang every time, never jamed. I didn't get the spring upgrade but I did remove one of the trigger springs and polish the rough spots. It's not a target gun but I can put 10 rounds on a piece of paper at 50' in 10 seconds and so serves it's purpose.

I like it for carrying if not wearing summer clothes. Being a $200 gun means I'm not worried about how pretty it is and holster marks or frequent cleanings don't bother me.

The Apex kit is only $20. I own a SD9VE and can tell you that that $20 is worth it. Very easy to install as long as you have the right punches. I didn't get the trigger because it would defeat the purpose of the gun for me (cheap). I also own a g19 but call my SD my S&W19 haha, very reliable.

I guess some may have had bad luck with a few. FWIW I have at least a few thousand rounds and even ran it through quite a few IDPA matches until I started using my M&P 45C for no other reason then to change it up a little, and I never had a one malfunction at all. I want another just for a truck gun.
For $200 and change its a great value as well as the $20 spring kit. Also very easy DIY project

I have three, precisely because they're $200 guns. One I actually got for $120 cuz the seller was going to get $70 as trade on a shotgun. When I get out of this shit-hole state I'm gonna drop them in soft cases with a spare mag and leave one in each vehicle just cuz.

Let me know how the trigger job goes, or maybe we can have a "cheap shit gun upgrade party" at my house:)
At least one is a Free state model

Back
Top Bottom