SD9 or Shield 2.0? Help me out

Hey guys. I am going to buy a new pistol and have it narrowed down to either a new S&W SD9 or a used Shield 2.0 with apex trigger and 3 mags. Capacity is pretty much a draw for me because MA is 10 anyways, so I can always put guts in the shield. I am coming from a lc9s, so I know the smaller frame more than the larger. I plan on this being my only "do all" pistol and will CCW maybe 35% of the time. Mostly hiking, going to the city etc. I was set on the SD9, but I am mostly worried about concealing the larger pistol. I always carried my LC9s owb, but I'm quite sure I won't be able to with the SD9. What are your guys thoughts? I have been scouring the internet for a week now nonstop and am more unsure than when I started. Thanks

I think you will also find many more accessories designed to fit the Shield than the SD such as holsters, night sights, grip wraps and such. Magazines may also be more available, but I haven't
checked...

Hey guys. I am going to buy a new pistol and have it narrowed down to either a new S&W SD9 or a used Shield 2.0 with apex trigger and 3 mags. Capacity is pretty much a draw for me because MA is 10 anyways, so I can always put guts in the shield. I am coming from a lc9s, so I know the smaller frame more than the larger. I plan on this being my only "do all" pistol and will CCW maybe 35% of the time. Mostly hiking, going to the city etc. I was set on the SD9, but I am mostly worried about concealing the larger pistol. I always carried my LC9s owb, but I'm quite sure I won't be able to with the SD9. What are your guys thoughts? I have been scouring the internet for a week now nonstop and am more unsure than when I started. Thanks

Keep in mind there are Shield 2.0's and Shield Plus. Not sure how much more money the latter is, but the Shield Plus comes with a standard trigger with blade safety. I personally prefer that over the hinged trigger of the Shield 1.0/2.0. To the point Apex kit would be mandatory for me on the older model, thus most likely making price difference moot. And you get the extra rounds in the Plus, so might be worth while.

How is the shield a better gun? One is a full size the other is a slim pistol. I’d take an SD9 over a little shield 8 days a week. The SD9 is a pretty solid design that originated as a Glock clone. It only took S&W about 12 years to build a reliable version but they finally got it right. There’s nothing wrong with the shield. They’re designed for different type of buyer. The biggest area the shield is better is the magazines, as the SD9 mags have historically had questionable springs that require replacement at rather low round counts.

the problem with the SD9 is that for another $200 one can get a factory new Glock, which IS a better pistol and holds resale value extremely well.

I’ve had both and neither is a great “do all” pistol. Get the Shield for now but get something larger with a rail for the house later. Think about something between those sizes as well.

How did you narrow it down to these two? They’re not very similar other than the make.

There are many more fish in the sea.
Long story longer, I screwed up and traded my LC9s and some cash for a Mark IV lite. I am not into it and sold it to my dad for a good price and he also gave me a HK mp5 22. I am going to trade in the hk for 400 and have about $75 extra cash to throw in. I figured I would rather have one of the less expensive pistols and put all the rest into ammo. I'll probably regret all this too in a few months and do it all gain.

Last edited:
I'll probably regret all this too in a few months and do it all gain.
Probably. A friend of mine just went through a similar process. If I were in your shoes, I'd do it in reverse.

if you don't have friends with guns, go to MFS (or similar) and burn some ammo trying a couple different pistols to see what works for you.

Depending on your personal geometries, this would include something in the Shield Plus/365XL/G48 size, something in the G19/MP9C/VP9 space, and maybe a Beretta 92/CZ 75 for the lulz. Then just find the money to burn on the one you liked the most.

Otherwise, you'll keep throwing good money after bad. You're always going to end up with multiple guns, but you can make the process smoother by doing the work up front.

Probably. A friend of mine just went through a similar process. If I were in your shoes, I'd do it in reverse.

if you don't have friends with guns, go to MFS (or similar) and burn some ammo trying a couple different pistols to see what works for you.

Depending on your personal geometries, this would include something in the Shield Plus/365XL/G48 size, something in the G19/MP9C/VP9 space, and maybe a Beretta 92/CZ 75 for the lulz. Then just find the money to burn on the one you liked the most.

Otherwise, you'll keep throwing good money after bad. You're always going to end up with multiple guns, but you can make the process smoother by doing the work up front.
right. I just was figuring it would be nice to have one of those guns and a few hundred rounds of ammo too to run through it. I could get something like the canik TP9SF Elite also and just end up with less ammo.

right. I just was figuring it would be nice to have one of those guns and a few hundred rounds of ammo too to run through it. I could get something like the canik TP9SF Elite also and just end up with less ammo.
If you like the Shield or the SD9, then it would be great to have that and some ammo. If you don't, then you've wasted time and money - at most, you can break even when you buy and sell used via private sale.

To be clear, I have a Shield. I like, carry, and teach with it - usually with extensions that make it the size of the Plus, because that fits my hands better. (NB: my preference is irrelevant here, since your hands/eyes/etc. are different than mine.) The SD9 might be a fine gun, though less supported than any of the more modern offerings. For a little more, you could get the Glock, which has way more holsters etc. available. If you're planning to have it for more than a short time, it seems like there's more savings in getting to a gun you like better, sooner.

At the end of the day, it's your life and money, you're going to spend it how you want. None of us really care. But you asked us for advice and now you're getting it.

Thanks for the help guys. Ended up with a shield 2.0 9mm. It just felt better in my hand. It’s used, but, apex trigger, 3mags and two de santis holsters for $350. Only 15$ more than the sd9 would have been. Thanks again for the opinions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom