• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SD ammo for J frame Snubbie?

The Snubnose Files

Great resource. I was on this site a lot when I was shopping for my first gun.

This article shows some ballistics of .38 rounds out of a variety of short-barreled revolvers. The rounds run the gamut of standard and +P, and I believe all were either hollowpoint or wadcutter (no FMJ or other non-SD stuff).

IIRC, both the chart and users here had good comments about the Speer Gold Dot rounds, 135-grain. Decent velocity and the recovered slugs had great expansion.

Speer GDHP 135 Grain +P's are proven rounds.

Hornady has a nice .38 XTP round.

You could also go with the classic FBI load, the 158 grain nyclad JHP. This load only gives about 800 FPS out of a snubbie.

Buffalo bore also has a similar round that I think is a bit hotter.

At snubbie energies you may also want to consider carrying FMJ.

Speer Gold Dot, 135 gr 38 special +P Short Barrel is the de facto standard for snub ammo.

Thanks for the info guys, Does anyone know who stocks the gold dot 135gr? I plan on heading north to State Line tomorrow or possibly south to IDC.

How about a SJHP?

That's what I run - I want to say it's 110gr, Remington, standard velocity.

Wanted to be able to run what I carry in practice often, and the gun (S&W m.37) isn't technically rated for +P.

Thanks for the info guys, Does anyone know who stocks the gold dot 135gr? I plan on heading north to State Line tomorrow or possibly south to IDC.

I got some at First Defense Firearms in Uxbridge. Give him a call to see if he has it in stock

I use nyclads in my mod 36 3". Controllable recoil, and low flash. Also, they are soft enough to expand reliably at snubbie vel..

Back
Top Bottom