• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scumbags came through the neighborhood last night.....

Piece of mind goes a long way....smile for the camera I always say.

2013101013520957.jpg

Then steal their shoes and phone in a "suspicious person" report to the police! Let the perp explain why he has no shoes and looks a little beat up!

Hmmm. That's actually promising.

Instead of beating them - strip them naked - and then phone in a suspicious persons report about some naked guy looking in your kid's window.

Police show up - guy claims Ninjas stole his clothes - hello psych eval.

I read the title, until it read.....unlocked.....cue Gunnery Sgt. Hartmans rant about an unlocked footlocker.

Like I said in one of my earlier posts - criminals are stupid - and locking or unlocking your doors does not seem to make much difference. Not having anything to steal - does not seem to make much difference. All you people who are bitching that he didn't lock his doors - are basically excusing criminality by blaming the victim for HIS actions. "if you didn't wear that short skirt you wouldn't have gotten raped".

Nope.

The scumbags who stole his stuff were responsible. But that doesn't mean it isn't foolish to leave your car unlocked with valuables inside.

I sure would like to see the actual statute. I'd be surprised if the law actually requires you to lock the door. All I can find is MGL Chapter 90 Section 13:

Section 13. ... No person having control or charge of a motor vehicle ... shall allow such vehicle to stand in any way and remain unattended without stopping the engine of said vehicle, effectively setting the brakes thereof or making it fast, and locking and removing the key from the locking device and from the vehicle.

https://malegislature.gov/laws/generallaws/parti/titlexiv/chapter90/section13

It says nothing about locking the door.

Last edited:
So your typical suburban neighborhood in you opinion is supposed to have a quick reaction force of ninjas........like a bat symbol or something to notify the qrf that the burbs are under attack and then spring into action?

Great idea. A local well regulated Militia acting as a standby QRF to protect the community. Like a community watch but with teeth? Great! [thumbsup]Something more reliable then a bat symbol however.

Worked in Ferguson;

Along West Florissant just north of 270, in Greystone Plaza, about 20 men with handguns and AR-15 rifles stood around the perimeter of the parking lot, guarding the dozen or so stores.

They estimated that 100 cars had come by throughout the night, seemingly to check the place out, but turned away.

Mike Cross, the owner of St. Louis Ink at the plaza, said: “There's nothing in this strip mall open, so you're going to get scrutinized.”
Source: http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_47fc89b3-b0d2-5c41-a1fa-f4636673aac0.html Only stores on that street that are still standing.

The lesson may be not to leave valuables in your car. But based on my experience it may also be smart to leave the car unlocked. When I lived in NYC years ago I had my locked car broken into and that caused a lot of very expensive damage. Since then I have never locked it up overnight though a few times there has been evidence of somebody rummaging through the glove compartment. Sorry for your loss! It really stinks!!

That is an excellent point. Just don't leave anything of value in your car! I've had friends that had the locks cut/chiseled right out of their door, broken side windows, etc. just to get at stuff inside their cars that wasn't even close to being worth the amount of damage to the car! Not saying its always prudent to leave your car unlocked, but in some cases it can save you from a bigger loss than some spare change in your ashtray...

This happened in my neighborhood a few months ago. They went thru every unlocked car on the street, then around the corner and continued for two more blocks. Nobody heard a thing.
A neighbor around the corner left his work truck unlocked AND the keys inside. They found the truck in Pawtucket, completely stripped.
Mostly GPSs and wallets. My nextdoor neighbor got a call from her bank early that morning. Checking on a transaction that did not fit her profile. That's how she new she had lost her wallet.

I sure would like to see the actual statute. I'd be surprised if the law actually requires you to lock the door. All I can find is MGL Chapter 90 Section 13:

https://malegislature.gov/laws/generallaws/parti/titlexiv/chapter90/section13

It says nothing about locking the door.

Yea, that is all I could find as well. I was reviewing the Driver's Manual with my stepson recently, and I am pretty sure that is where I saw it. Funny though, if it is in the manual, it must be true, right?

15 years ago when i lived in slumerville some ahole smashed my window for half a pack of cigarettes and loose change. 3 years ago another ahole in worcester smashed my passenger window to steal and old gps when the drivers door was unlocked. people suck

Car burglary has been a plague in my area lately.

I empty the cup holders of all loose change and keep anything of value in my trunk with the valet lock on so they can't access it without a key. Plus I also have a motion light pointed right at my car. I haven't had any problems in over 10 years.

i seem to remember this happening in the fall when people close their windows so they can't hear anything outside...the thieves will hit a whole neighborhood but only the cars with the open doors...the cops always come back and say that is seems to be somewhat organized...lock your doors and hide your valuables...cameras are nice but don't help with masked individuals...maybe get a cheap car alarm...it may not help anyone take notice but you may take notice if you are parked close to where you live

They have been stealing from unlocked cars in my area. Lock the car and leave nothing valuable in it, chaulk the loss up to experience.

Last edited:
stealing from an unlocked car is a completely different thing then breaking and entering at night (felony). That's why they target unlocked cars its not breaking and entering. is just a misdemeanor if they steal some change and a GPS form an unlocked car. These kids know that, this happens every summer in condo complexes along rt 9 in Shrewsbury.

If you leave valuables in an unlocked car you are asking for trouble..

What part of "we live in a lawless society" did you not get?

Ya it was wrong and a crime, but take responsibility for your own safety and security,,,, or you will pay the price,

I had the lock busted out of my car door a number of times when I lived in the city. They took crap - the lock & door damage was the worst part (other than the feeling of being repeatedly ripped off barely 20 feet from where I was sleeping). I mounted a blinking red LED in the top the dash, and it never happened again.

Couple years ago someone came and stole the drive shaft off my fathers neighbors pickup truck in the middle of the night. Other than that there haven't had any problems there, but people also lock their doors

Couple years ago someone came and stole the drive shaft off my fathers neighbors pickup truck in the middle of the night. Other than that there haven't had any problems there, but people also lock their doors

im no mechanic but is that a quick removal? jeez

im no mechanic but is that a quick removal? jeez

Honestly I dont know. All we know is he came out to go to work, started the truck, put it in gear and when he hit the gas it went vroooooom....but didnt move. got out and looked under it and saw it was gone. I was up until 1-2am and didnt see or hear anything and his driveway is about 25 yards from the room I was in with the front door open. Had to be after that or they were VERY quiet. The thing weighs like 60 lbs he told me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom