Screw build ak?

So although I've got a few at projects going I've been looking for ak kits and found one that's been "tapped for a screw build" I was wondering if anyone has any info on doing an al build this way? It appeals to me as I don't have the tools to rivet nor have I ever done more than a few pop rivets! Any info is much appreciated! Thanks!

Plenty of functioning screw builds out there but I don't own any. What info you looking for exactly? The akfiles forum has plenty of info on them.

Some tips are, use locktite on the screws, DO NOT FILL IN THE ALLEN HEADS with JB weld or any other crap and make sure the front trunnion screws are short enough so they don't extend into the barrel journal and mag well when they're tightened in all the way. Your still going to have to press the barrel in, when you do use a little anti seize compound on both pieces to prevent galling and make sure its oriented correctly so its not canted to one side.

One thing I don't like about a screw build is that there is so little thread holding it together. A rivet is bucked on the end and clamps up tight and permanent and isn't going to work loose like a screw could.

If you haven't bought the screw build mollyhocked kit yet, keep looking and get a rivet kit and attend the next AK build party that comes along and build it correctly. You'll be glad you did.

Last edited by a moderator:
That pretty much covers it! As in not worth it! Lol I'll keep my eyes out I don't plan on doing it soon but seems as if the kits are becoming less common and more expensive! :-( thanks for the info!

Listen to Tom.

The rivets aren't hard to do if you have a press and the right jigs/tools. The front trunnion is easy as hell with a modified set of bolt cutters and takes a few minutes.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

The advantage to a screw build is if you have an all matching parts kit, you do not have to pull the barrel to put in the front trunion rivets and therefore you don't have to headspace the bolt.

The advantage to a screw build is if you have an all matching parts kit, you do not have to pull the barrel to put in the front trunion rivets and therefore you don't have to headspace the bolt.

Sort of.

A matching barrel and front trunion is headspaced as a single unit at the factory by means of the barrel pin.

You can press the barrel out, install the rivets, press the barrel back in, drive the barrel pin back in and the headspace should be the same as before.

Regardless of a screw build or rivet build, it's advisable to check the headspace anyways.

You have to remove the barrel no matter what just to get the rivets out of the trunnion holes(EDIT) unless you drill them, which many people end up ruining a barrel by going too deep, its easier to just bang the barrel out and be done with it.) You can't put screws into holes that are plugged up with the old rivets or drillings.

Unless you plan on grinding the existing rivets flush and drilling and tapping new holes, a complete demil is necessary no matter how you are going to reassemble.

The benefit of a screw build was not having to buy rivetting jigs. With the invention of the bolt cutter riveters, that benefit has gone by the wayside.

The disadvantages of a screw build are you have to oversize the rivet holes, the screws can loosen, there is very little thread holding the screws in, they don't look correct, once the kit is modified(holes tapped) it loses value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Screw builds made sense when complete parts kits cost $90 and someone wanted a cheap and dirty way of building an operational AK that didn't have to last the test of time.

Now that complete parts kits go for $300 minimum, now these builds make absolutely no sense.

i have been considering if "going green" is worth the $$ for me and an invite to parties like that would make it worth it! whats the cost of a build kit to use for the party?

i have been considering if "going green" is worth the $$ for me and an invite to parties like that would make it worth it! whats the cost of a build kit to use for the party?

roughly $450 for a romanian AKM in 7.62x39 and $550 for a bulgarian ak74 in 5.45x39, if I recall correctly. It also depended on whether or not the builder added lots of aftermarket parts or optic rails.

All I know is that the romy Gs built were hell of a lot cheaper and better than WASRs and the Bulgarian AK74s were hell of a lot cheaper (and arguably equal or better) to current production Arsenal AK74s.

Last edited:
and as far as "going green" being worth it to you, that's one of those questions that you have to ask yourself. For me, this forum initially gave me great insight into the crack-tastic MA gun laws that I had unwittingly moved myself into. (amateur advice or not, it was very helpful)

Then it gave me information on where I could shoot. And then subsequently people who I could shoot with.

Then it gave me friends.

And then it gave me friends that I could build guns with.

SAM_0941.jpg

SAM_0981.jpg

SAM_0990.jpg

IMAG1453.jpg

2011821114415681580_8.jpg

thanks for the info... i wanna go green but the $21/yr seems oddly high for a forum that has sponsors. between the high license fees, cost of "required" classes to obtain licenses, higher gun & ammo prices, GOAL & NRA membership, and general expenses that us MA gun owners pay, an additional $21/yr for a green name and some storage seems like a waste. but if i could find more reasons to justify the extra $21 i guess i will do it.

Back
Top Bottom