• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scratches in saftey glasses lens

I have a pair of highend clear shooting glasses that I have had for over 15 years. They have a small scuff mark on the inside of the lens where the temple tip hits the lens. Does anyone have a remedy for this. I have seen the TVinfomercilas of some sort of liquid and have also hear of a paste that you buff the mark out with. Im just looking to see if anyone has had any sucess with these
-Hunter

Most likely your out of luck. Try a grease pencil and rub it on the scratches and buff it. That's what optical shops use to hide polishing scratches. Any type of polishing or a polymer filler will look pretty bad. Its also not a good idea to play with the thickness of a safety lens. Go to an optical shop and see if they will replace the lenses.

I tried the lense doctor liquid stuff and it worked, not a good as new. If it was directly in my line of sight with my dominant eye, I would probably try something else or replace the lenses.

A very mild polishing liquid might work...such as Simichrome. I have also used toothpaste to remove minor scratches from plastic. I would test the compound on a pair of cheap safety glasses first to make sure it doesn't make the scuff worse. Auto part stores also sell very mild abrasives for removing scratches, this could work too but don't rub too hard or long (move the rag in a figure 8 motion). Another option is to use baking soda prepared in a thick paste.

-MS

+1 on trying it on something else. If you can feel the abrasive its too rough. The optical labs use a titanium oxide slurry to polish the lens. Good luck.

There are plastic polishes by 3M, Mothers and I'm sure others, made for polishing headlight lenses that may work.

There is another polish jewelers use to polish watch faces. I would imagine if you search for jewelers watch polish you could find something that would work.

Back
Top Bottom