• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scout Scope Recommendations

I have a customer interested in a Savage 10FCM Scout Rifle and we're discussing optics. Was soliciting opinions on a decent set up. Leupold, Nikon, Burris etc...Any opinions or experiences greatly appreciated. [cheers]

Last edited:
MassMark,
I've got a Savage Model 10 FCM Scout rifle. Although my rifle has a left hand action.

Its got the Leupold M8 Scout Scope mounted on it with the Leupold QRW rings.

I've got no complaints with the scope. I have not shot with any of its competitors so I cannot do a direct comparison.

The sighting system on my rifle held its zero on a cross country trip via UPS to Arizona for a class. I did make some dope changes during the class and the adjustments were right on. When I needed the group to move 2 MOA, an elevation change of 2 MOA gave me exactly that. The Leupold Scout Scope has friction adjusters in it and not positive clicks. I'm not sure if this is important to you customer or not.

A good source of Savage Scout info is here.

For some more info on the Leupold Scout Scope look here.

P5010026-1-1.jpg

Thanks Andy - I'm leaning in my mind anyway toward the Leupold - it's just a cut above in build. I had a Nikon Scout on my SOCOM-16 briefly and loved the fact that it was variable power, (I don't think the M8 is right?). Appreciate the advice and will pass this all along to the customer...

The only other one I've run across is from Burris. Haven't tried it, myself. Pistol scopes should have the correct eye relief, too.

A lefty Savage Scout is tempting - but then anything in left hand is tempting!

The only other one I've run across is from Burris. Haven't tried it, myself. Pistol scopes should have the correct eye relief, too.

A lefty Savage Scout is tempting - but then anything in left hand is tempting!

It's not often that folks special order much at DSG that I want to buy myself, but this one is certainly on my WTB list. This has been a work in progress with one of those rare customers that has really done his homework and has been a pleasure to deal with. I'm calling Savage regarding spare mags tomorrow - want me to check if they have it in lefty? [wink]

KMM696 said:
anything in left hand is tempting!

I'm leaving that comment alone... [grin]

Thank you for the kind comments on my rifle. I've had quite a bit of work done to it.

I had a Nikon Scout on my SOCOM-16 briefly and loved the fact that it was variable power, (I don't think the M8 is right?)

Correct - The M8 is a 2.5 fixed power. There are several reticle options (duplex, heavy duplex, B&C, or German #4 to name a few) from Leupold depending on your preference.

Meth0d,
Look here for the definition of the scout rifle concept. They say it better than I ever could explain.

My Savage Scout Rifle (Model 10 FMCL) was a custom shop build. I would be suprised if they had one sitting around waiting for a customer.

Back
Top Bottom