• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scout scope mount on a M1, 30 caliber, carbine?

M60

NES Member
I was considering a Pistol Caliber Carbine in 9mm, but I already have a pre ban, Colt, AR 9mm and wanted more stopping power from a light weight rifle. In another thread, many of you pointed out that you also wanted more stopping power, from a carbine, than is available from a 9mm carbine. To that end, I'm picking up a M1, 30 caliber, carbine and want to mount a Aimpoint scope to it. To mount it traditionally, I would have to remove the rear sight which I want to keep mounted for back up sighting to my Aimpoint. I have the Aimpoint on a quick release mount, so if the Aimpoint goes sideways, I can dump it quickly and go to the iron sights. Since I know of no see through mount, I have to consider the forward mount of a scout, forward mount, scope base. My question is, does the NES brain trust have any experience in this area and if so, what did you do and how do you like what you did. Thank you in advance for your helpful information.

Last edited:
I had the Ultimak rail handguard, replaces the wood handguard. I was using a 'scout scope' with 4x magnification though, and the image was kind of small at that distance. And the great balance of the m1 carbine is thrown off some by having something heavy in the front like that. I eventually
just stuck with the great iron sights, and didn't try to use a scope of any kind. But an Aimpoint might be a better experience than the pistol scope
I was using.

I ruled out a scout scope, for the reasons you just explained. I'm just not sure, how good a Aimpoint will be, that far away from the eye.

That distance from your eye, I would stay away from 1 MOA dots. Though, a good thing about Aimpoints is that they can be turned up really bright and the blown out dot will be larger... just a little less precise.

Depending on your budget, something like an Aimpoint Acro might be a good option due to its 3.5 MOA dot and it’s small overall size (on a carbine it won’t look as much like a giant mailbox).

I don’t have experience with the M1 Carbine forward rails though, so I don’t know how well they actually hold zero.

I have an Amega mount for my Mini-14. Very well made, and there's a channel down the middle of the top pic rail that allows you to still use the iron sights, but it weighs a ton. I assume their M1 carbine mount would be the same.

Anything you'd shoot at with an M1 Carbine, can be hit with the open sights. It's a 100 yards and in gun. Fifty is more like it.

If it's an older 'actual' gun and not a newfangled Auto Ordnance reproduction, you'd do well to keep it original for the next owner, and the one after that, and the one after that....

JMHO. Do what you want with your own property.

Anything you'd shoot at with an M1 Carbine, can be hit with the open sights. It's a 100 yards and in gun. Fifty is more like it.

If it's an older 'actual' gun and not a newfangled Auto Ordnance reproduction, you'd do well to keep it original for the next owner, and the one after that, and the one after that....

JMHO. Do what you want with your own property.

Three points I’d like to make:

1) This isn’t a permanent modification. So as long as he keeps the original parts, history is safe.

2) Red dots allow for more accurate reflexive fire. It also allows for more rapid accurate shots out to the max range. The military didn’t transition to red dots for shits and giggles.

3) Its more like a 200 yard gun, not a 50-100. With modern ammo, it stays supersonic past 200 yards. Zero it for 150 yards and it’s only 2.5” high at 100 and only drops 6.6” at 200. That is too easy for poking holes center mass in two legged predators. If you want to be extra sure of terminal effects at a lower velocity, use Lehigh 85gr cavitator rounds. They may seem gimmicky, but their various bullet designs work as advertised or close to it depending on the bullet.

Last edited:
Well I know there's a Postal Meter down at Four Seasons that some fool butchered and put plastic furniture and a scope on it. The scope is drilled and tapped, so any collectible value is gone on that.

If this is a new manufacture one then go with a D&T mount.

I was considering a Pistol Caliber Carbine in 9mm, but I already have a pre ban, Colt, AR 9mm and wanted more stopping power from a light weight rifle. In another thread, many of you pointed out that you also wanted more stopping power, from a carbine, than is available from a 9mm carbine. To that end, I'm picking up a M1, 30 caliber, carbine and want to mount a Aimpoint scope to it. To mount it traditionally, I would have to remove the rear sight which I want to keep mounted for back up sighting to my Aimpoint. I have the Aimpoint on a quick release mount, so if the Aimpoint goes sideways, I can dump it quickly and go to the iron sights. Since I know of no see through mount, I have to consider the forward mount of a scout, forward mount, scope base. My question is, does the NES brain trust have any experience in this area and if so, what did you do and how do you like what you did. Thank you in advance for your helpful information.
You have missed the hayday of mounts scope or scout style for the M1 carbine.
I think Ultimak and Omega are the only 2 currently easy to find.

CMP used to carry what I think is now the omega

Just paint a red dot on the front sight and look through that HUGE rear aperture....same thing. My carbine is the last of the iron sights i can see through the aperture and focus on the front sight with out my Rx lens.

Last edited:
I have an Amega mount for my Mini-14. Very well made, and there's a channel down the middle of the top pic rail that allows you to still use the iron sights, but it weighs a ton. I assume their M1 carbine mount would be the same.
They have a light weight version. Never seen it though?

Three points I’d like to make:

1) This isn’t a permanent modification. So as long as he keeps the original parts, history is safe.

2) Red dots allow for more accurate reflexive fire. It also allows for more rapid accurate shots out to the max range. The military didn’t transition to red dots for shits and giggles.

3) Its more like a 200 yard gun, not a 50-100. With modern ammo, it stays supersonic past 200 yards. Zero it for 150 yards and it’s only 2.5” high at 100 and only drops 6.6” at 200. That is too easy for poking holes center mass in two legged predators. If you want to be extra sure of terminal effects at a lower velocity, use Lehigh 85gr cavitator rounds. They may seem gimmicky, but their various bullet designs work as advertised or close to it depending on the bullet.

yup. If you , your carbine and ammo are up to it.
Holding center on a 12" plate with 150 yard zero you should ding it to just touch over 200 yards.
But its a M1 carbine 6moa is good for average M1 carbines.
Nice fitting recoil lug, good barrel and decent ammo you can sneak under 4 , off bags a bit better.....maybe

Dude... Dont do it. I dont even really like M1 carbines but I would never tacticool a historical firearm or anything else for that matter, unless, of course, bubba has already gotten his grubby mitts on it. Otherwise, leave it the fahk alone. I think a Ruger PCC in 10mm would fit your bill. (ill take one as well) GLOCKAZINE COMPATABLE![party]

Dude... Dont do it. I dont even really like M1 carbines but I would never tacticool a historical firearm or anything else for that matter, unless, of course, bubba has already gotten his grubby mitts on it. Otherwise, leave it the fahk alone. I think a Ruger PCC in 10mm would fit your bill. (ill take one as well) GLOCKAZINE COMPATABLE![party]

Relax girls and guys. I never have and never will do anything to alter the original integrity of any weapon. Well, ok, 1 time years ago, I did have a gunsmith, checker the front strap on a Colt 1911 for competition. If that counts.

I have shot a lot with an Aimpoint on a .22 target pistol, and it works very well. With a pistol at arms length, the Aimpoint is farther from my face than it would be on a scout mount. I actually prefer to have a red dot sight further forward than where a scope would typically be mounted on a rifle. Of course, some people feel differently, and it may depend on what you are used to.

I also find that if a rifle fits well, then shouldering it and finding the dot is no problem, regardless of where the sight is mounted.

I can't offer any advice about about mounts for an M1 carbine. But the overall plan to put a red dot in a scout position on an M1 carbine sounds like a good platform to me.

Open sights are fine at 100 yards. If I can do this, anyone can; I had a massive heart attack in January. Shot this in June- Italian return early Winchester. 60 rounds of new Remington ammo; the last magazine was the 11:00 out of the black - heat haze.

t

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I know it is not the subject of this thread, but I want to comment on the red dot vs open sights theme that often emerges.

I have worn glasses for about 20 years, and I have had my prescriptions updated about 10 times. There is no longer any comparison between how I can shoot with iron sights and a red dot. I also think I am quicker to make a decently accurate shot with a red dot than I ever was with iron sights. And if you do some drills in low light with a red dot, I think you will feel totally under equipped to carry an iron sighted rifle into those situations.

So for people who can still perform really well with irons, I am jealous. But when someone asks for advice about red dots, that is what I will give them, unless they ask for a comparison to irons. [/rant] :)

There's nothing wrong with iron sights. I learned with iron sights and I like and have them on many of my rifles. My M14 in boot camp had iron sights and my M1A's have always had iron sights. One of my AR's has iron sights and the others have back up, iron sights. I shoot well with iron sights and I always have. This M1 30 Caliber Carbine however, will be equipped with a scope.

Open sights are fine at 100 yards. If I can do this, anyone can; I had a massive heart attack in January. Shot this last month - Italian return early Winchester. 60 rounds of new Remington ammo; the last magazine was the 11:00 out of the black - heat haze.

t

Heat haze. I'm hoping that a scope will tighten up my groups just a hair.

Last edited:
Heat haze. I'm hoping that a scope will tighten up my groups just a hair.
Have you considered buying one of the new reproduction models Khar Arms or Inland then DT for a scope mount?
I know you mentioned trying to retain the sights for back up?

Relax girls and guys. I never have and never will do anything to alter the original integrity of any weapon. Well, ok, 1 time years ago, I did have a gunsmith, checker the front strap on a Colt 1911 for competition. If that counts.

Get one of the Kahr reproductions and mess around with it as much as you want. No one cares what anyone does to those.

I recently saw a video on the Kahr, 30 caliber carbine. It looks as though the rail is a simple replacement of the hand guard, that allows you to go back to the original handguard at any time you choose, without modification to the rifle.

I recently saw a video on the Kahr, 30 caliber carbine. It looks as though the rail is a simple replacement of the hand guard, that allows you to go back to the original handguard at any time you choose, without modification to the rifle.
Yes in some way or another, its generally just clamped on in some fashion

Back
Top Bottom