• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scout Rifles

Lank

NES Member
anyone have any experience shooting savage, ruger marlin 1895 etc.?

I've been in YouTube and the other review sights. Leaning heavily for the marlin second place savage 11, primarily because I don't own a lever gun, looks alone and accuraxy.. Any taccuracy.

Also, I'd there a heap of difference between .444 and 45-70 gov?

If you buy a 45-70 make sure your fillings are in there good man. 1 box in a t shirt was enough to tell me men of 130 years ago were tougher than I am. Go for 30 30 unless you're hell bent on hunting dinosaurs

i shot one, don't own one. with that low power scope ( that jeff cooper called for) and it's placement on the rifle, it was designed to use both eyes which i can't master. old dog here, shoot everything one eye. it was originally designed as a cqb rifle but now people are mounting higher power scopes on 'em to take hunting across mountain ranges. kidding but you know what i mean. especially for me a high power scope = one eye. i'll never change.

I am a huge fan of scout rifles but I have two different rifles than what you quoted. Scout rifles are excellent for making a quick accurate shot. I have a Ruger gunsite scout in .308 and a Mossberg MVP predator in 5.56. I have taken two deer with my Ruger since I purchased it. It has allowed me to get a shot off quicker and in one instance the difference made the difference.

I am a huge fan of scout rifles but I have two different rifles than what you quoted. Scout rifles are excellent for making a quick accurate shot. I have a Ruger gunsite scout in .308 and a Mossberg MVP predator in 5.56. I have taken two deer with my Ruger since I purchased it. It has allowed me to get a shot off quicker and in one instance the difference made the difference.

I have the Mossberg MVP predator in 5.56 also - it's a neat little gun. Small, light, really easy to tote around and maneuver in brush. I won mine in an NRA raffle, and the only issue I had with it was that I had to lap the bolt in a little, it was incredibly tight.

Few things:

(1) There's an actual criteria for a Jeff Cooper-style "Scout Rifle." Basically, its a bolt gun in a caliber that would be acceptable in Africa for taking plains game that loads via detachable mag or stripper clips, uses a Ching Sling, and has a forward-mounted scope. A forward mounted scope and a "scout rifle" are not the same - scout rifles use forward mounted scopes, but forward mounted scopes show up on other guns, like say if someone wanted to scope an old milsurp, like a Garand or a SKS, and didn't want to modify the receiver for a scope.

(2) The .444 Marlin came about because during the mid-1960s, .45-70 wasn't very popular and had largely left the marketplace. I'm sure various gun forums have threads and threads and threads discussing the pros and cons of each. Google's your friend. Neither are particularly suited to hunting in New England, though, they'd certainly work on deer, black bear, and moose. Home or farm defense? Depends on what the buyer likes.

(3) Big bore lever guns are usually known as "guide guns." A guide gun is basically what one would expect a professional guide in Alaska or the Mountain West to have as a stopping rifle to either stop a charging grizzly or to put down wounded game. A guide gun and a scout rifle are very different conceptually.

(4) I owned a M1A SOCOM 16 and I forward-mounted a Leupold fixed 2.5x on. That was the most highly-recommended scope for that rifle. I didn't like the arrangement. Modern optics, like low power variable optics, supersede the need for a low powered scout scope. I highly doubt OP needs to worry about being attacked from dangerous animals at his six, which was an original requirement of Cooper's design; however, modern LPVOs offer perfectly nice fields of view.

I suggest watching this video in its entirety and then going to the gun store to handle some rifles with forward-mounted scopes:

I bought a Savage scout 11through a Savage employee so I got a great deal. It was my first rifle so I wanted a do it all kinda rifle. I don't even hunt lol. I'm cross eye dominant and while I can't shoot pistols well with both eyes open I seemed to take to the scout scope fairly quickly. Cool set up and if you get one cheap enough. Why not?

If you buy a 45-70 make sure your fillings are in there good man. 1 box in a t shirt was enough to tell me men of 130 years ago were tougher than I am. Go for 30 30 unless you're hell bent on hunting dinosaurs
Thanks, the only time I have been "hurt" by recoil was two shots of a .500 sw

You can get 45-70 rounds that won't kick the shit out of your shoulder. I use to get them for my trap door rifle.

Back
Top Bottom