• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SCOTUS to get to McDonald v Chicago on monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amendment 10
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor
prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to
the people.

2 hours to go.

Live blog/updates here...

http://www.scotusblog.com/

FYI: SCotus blog is reporting that they think orders will run into late monday and into Tuesday. That is not the same as opinions, but they think a private session will occur late in the day Monday. If so, then there is a possibility that some opinions could be delayed, though not likely. Point being, the court is not running out on recess monday @ 11 AM. And with ginsburg's husband passing away today, that could also cause timing issues.

If they follow protocol, we should know shortly after 10:00...

The first opinion that could emerge is a historic ruling on gun rights, resolving whether the Second Amendment restricts the gun-control powers of states, counties, and cities, and not just the federal government’s powers (McDonald v. City of Chicago, 08-1521). That’s because the author of the opinion (according to Tom’s analysis) could be Justice Samuel A. Alito, Jr. He is the most junior Justice likely to announce an opinion Monday, and opinions are usually released in reverse order of the authors’ seniority.

Amendment 10
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor
prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to
the people.

But The fed's "rights" to regulate interstate commerce trump all...

But The fed's "rights" to regulate interstate commerce trump all...

Yeah, but the word "Regulate" has a wholey different meaning today than it did when the Constitution was written.

Back then, "Regulate" mean to make regular, meaning uniform.

In other words, the powers granted to the Federal government in Constitution were that it should make sure that one state couldn't charge tariffs to another state or prevent goods from another state being brought in, all commerce between states was to be kept uniform.

In modern times the word's meaning has been changed to mean "to control", and that was never out Founders intentions.

f5 f5 f5 f5 f5 f5 f5

The live blog at Scotusblog doesn't need to be manually refreshed, at least on on Firefox. There is a not from "Tom" one of the bloggers that Incorporation will be under the Due Process Clause. Alito is the probably author of the opinion and since he's friendly towards law enforcement, the day to day effect on us might be minimal. We'll know soon enough.

In about ten minutes, the crier should shout "Oyez! Oyez! Oyez!" and then we're off. Can't wait.

EDIT: Scotusblog is crawling. I may not be able to load it, and might have to just keep trying to get the opinion from the official site.

Last edited:
In about ten minutes, the crier should shout "Oyez! Oyez! Oyez!" and then we're off. Can't wait.

EDIT: Scotusblog is crawling. I may not be able to load it, and might have to just keep trying to get the opinion from the official site.

As of 9:50, 3,500 people were logged in (roughly %75 are interested in McDonald over the other 3 cases), any they expect more.

Edit... now they're estimating 25,000 logged in. I wonder if Emperor Daley is one of them? [smile]

Last edited:
Right about now, they should be hearing "...God save the United States and this Honorable Court." It's on.

Edit: A tribute to Ginsburg's husband, who died. I saw the news article this morning, and read the headline to say that Ginsburg had died.
She's still on the bench, which suggests we're going to get history made today.

I'm am shocked to see so little talk of this. Most gun owners seem to be ignoring it. Tried to get to scotusblog but can't even connect

Closer than I would have thought.... EDIT: And oh, good, a divided majority. Just what I wanted.[thinking]

10:05

Erin:

The opinion concludes that the 14th Amendment does incorporate the Second Amendment right recognized in Heller to keep and bear arms in self defense
Monday June 28, 2010 10:05 Erin

Tom:
5-4
Monday June 28, 2010 10:05 Tom

Erin:
Stevens dissents for himself. Breyer dissents, joined by Ginsburg and Sotomayor.

The opinion concludes that the 14th Amendment does incorporate the Second Amendment right recognized in Heller to keep and bear arms in self defense

5-4

I'm sure thats true Gjones77, but there was talk of Heller for weeks before the decision. Not much has been said about McDonald

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom