• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SCOTUS hears Chicago Case Megathread

Heh.. the interesting thing about this whole process: it proves the quote in my sig to be true:

"When the court rules in a way that advances the goals of liberalism, the issue is settled. But when the court rules in a way that restricts government prerogatives and expands our freedoms, well now, we'll just have to bring a few dozen "test cases" over the next few decades, to figure out what that really means." --Vin Suprynowicz

At least it feels we are finally on the offensive. Maybe this will wake the Fudds up and get some support going. Even my father, whom is a long time Fudd is starting to wake up.

Heh.. the interesting thing about this whole process: it proves the quote in my sig to be true...

I understand why it feels that way, but I don't think it's really true, or perhaps I should say I don't think it's realistic. Supreme Court decisions are rarely the the final word. Usually they just clear up some point of law, and send the issue back to the District Court (which, having gotten guidance on the key point) may rule fairly quickly. Liberal things do go away from time to time. I think, for example, that the Miranda decision (creator of the eponymous warning) is being frayed at the edges a good deal. The Bakke affirmative action case went anti-liberal, and some other anti-discrimination law may be ruled out of order since there is a feeling in some quarters that they are no longer appropriate.

Mostly though, Congress and the state legislatures, both liberal and conservative, just keep passing laws.

Back
Top Bottom