• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Supreme Court - NYSRPA v. Bruen - Megathread

It’s like the speed limit being lowered to 45mph where I93 enters the Boston O’Neill tunnel. High population (high traffic), so more gun restrictions (lower speed limit). Like you could drive at 60mph in the tunnel at rush hour? Senseless, feel good laws!
Yo I hate that part of the highway just like I hate Route 3 because those speed limits are a catch-22. If you actually drive the speed limit (or even 10 over) everyone gets pissed at you. If you speed then the cops can give you a ticket (likely wouldn't happen but you're still basically having no choice but to break the law).

NYC will not easily fold
images

Why does blondie finish up here by saying repeatedly a ruling in favor of the plaintive will be “Expanding the 2nd Amendment.”

This is the same language the anti outfits are using to scare folks.

🐯

Ugh.. I kept thinking the same thing.

I guess technically “reducing infringements of rights” means more rights, which means an expansion of rights; but it’s terrible marketing, and more than a little misleading.

Ugh.. I kept thinking the same thing.

I guess technically “reducing infringements of rights” means more rights, which means an expansion of rights; but it’s terrible marketing, and more than a little misleading.
It's like reducing the amount of a proposed tax increase from 10% to 5% is a "5% tax reduction"

or

How increasing the sales tax from 5.00% to 6.25% is a "1.25% increase" rather than "an increase of 1.25%" or "a 25% increase".

Last edited:
Nothing cost wise compared the until recent market rate of $10K for honorariums to the licensing officers, and a lot easier for the average person that becoming famous or making friends in high places. As long as it is left to the private sector things could work.

What I do see if it becomes shall issue and training used as an obstacle is onerous requirements. The system came in kicking and screaming against the armed pilot program. Instead of going to a local range for private sector training and qualification, they made it a mult-day course in (I think) New Mexico to make it as inconvenient as possible to keep the numbers down. And on top of that, had to designate these pilots as "federal officers" to avoid the spectre of armed civilians (using the Webster's dictionary definition of that term).

Then there is storage - perhaps a requirement for a TRTL60x6 safe or similar.

If NYC becomes shall-issue expect no increase in the licensing department, continuation of the $1000ish fee, and a multi-year wait for an appointment. The licensing unit may never even grow big enough to handle the constant influx of people moving it or becoming of legal age ... and it will switch from needing a connection to get approved to needing a connection to get an appointment. NYC will not easily fold.

When there was a proposal to unrestrict all target/home only permits in NYC under the Koch administration the announced contingency plan if it passed was immediate revocation of all restricted NYC pistol permits.

You are
Did someone actually say that?
see post 464 or link below- yes, there are quivering asshats that are allowed to roam hither and yon emoting and babbling.

Letters to the Editor: If I need to carry a bomb to feel safe, will the Supreme Court let me?

Last edited:
Nothing cost wise compared the until recent market rate of $10K for honorariums to the licensing officers, and a lot easier for the average person that becoming famous or making friends in high places. As long as it is left to the private sector things could work.

What I do see if it becomes shall issue and training used as an obstacle is onerous requirements. The system came in kicking and screaming against the armed pilot program. Instead of going to a local range for private sector training and qualification, they made it a mult-day course in (I think) New Mexico to make it as inconvenient as possible to keep the numbers down. And on top of that, had to designate these pilots as "federal officers" to avoid the spectre of armed civilians (using the Webster's dictionary definition of that term).

Then there is storage - perhaps a requirement for a TRTL60x6 safe or similar.

If NYC becomes shall-issue expect no increase in the licensing department, continuation of the $1000ish fee, and a multi-year wait for an appointment. The licensing unit may never even grow big enough to handle the constant influx of people moving it or becoming of legal age ... and it will switch from needing a connection to get approved to needing a connection to get an appointment. NYC will not easily fold.

When there was a proposal to unrestrict all target/home only permits in NYC under the Koch administration the announced contingency plan if it passed was immediate revocation of all restricted NYC pistol permits.
The problem is people think they need a permit. Same goes for the courts. The permits, LTC etc... are all unconstitutional. That's what the SCOTUS needs to come out and say.
No permit required. Slam it down on the table !

Is tomorrow the day we get the opinion in this case? I sure hope so.

Don’t hold your breath. All the “contentious” cases usually are issued at the end of June when the current term ends. Expect the NY case, the abortion case from Mississippi and other cases like that to be held until the end of the term.

I'd be great if they drove 70 years of gun laws back to the Stone Age. I'd have a Galil ACE on order pretty much ASAP. LOL

(I know this isn't about that - but wouldn't it be nice if the USSC took this moment to just clarify a s-ton of gun laws all at once.)

I'd guess, one day before the session ends for summer.
Yup. I think they'll take it close to the 11th hour. Likely authors of the majority opinion are Thomas or Barrett. Neither one of them has an assigned opinion from the November sitting and usually the justice spread work out that way. My money is on Barrett. Thomas will want to go father than four other justices, so I don't think he can command a majority.

Thomas is a 2A absolutist. Just one reason the Left hates him so much.

Yup. I think they'll take it close to the 11th hour. Likely authors of the majority opinion are Thomas or Barrett. Neither one of them has an assigned opinion from the November sitting and usually the justice spread work out that way. My money is on Barrett. Thomas will want to go father than four other justices, so I don't think he can command a majority.

The reduced the question at hand when they accepted the case, so I’m not sure how far an opinion will go in this case. Obviously it’s likely the NY scheme goes down, beyond that will be if SCOTUS dictates the standard to use on 2A cases. You know Thomas will be lobbying to write this case. My bet is Thomas writes it.

Term end at the end of June. The opinions on hot button issues are usually issued the last two weeks. So we still have between 1 1/2 months and 2 months to go.
And then several years before Massachusetts even acknowledges it followed up by a bunch of weasel legislation violating it in various way.

Back
Top Bottom