Supreme Court - NYSRPA v. Bruen - Megathread

Damn big postage stamp. I have to use two frames at the range and staple one side to each, otherwise, we'd destroy the frames when I have qualified people for their RI license.
Yup. Good ole' Army L target. If people stay within the 7 ring they get 210 and pass. I actually measured and it's 14 inches and with a full sized 1911 it's definitely not too bad

Roberts isn’t trying to screw conservatives, etc, he is a politic conservative himself. But he is trying to keep the court from being seen as a political body. His attempt to keep the court from being political is making it more political than if he stopped trying. The rumor is roberts was in the majority to overturn Obamacare on both issues but after his vote to overturn and befor opinions were fully written he caved to the pressure obama, media, etc were putting on the court and he switched his vote. Until the opinion is issue, any justice can change their support, Roberts was rumored to be worried at the look 5 GOP justices striking down Obamacare would make.

Now where it’s a 6-3 court, Roberts doesn’t have the same power so I think you’ll see him vote the law and his views more often without worrying about the fall out. He has always been very good on affirmative action so we’re likely to see that case where Harvard is discriminating Asians before the court and dealing a fatal blow to race based college admissions.

The court absence of RBG definitely reduces it some politically. She and sotomayor were both very political. I don’t think Breyer or Karan are nearly as political
I didn't know that QAnon was on NES...

Yup. Good ole' Army L target. If people stay within the 7 ring they get 210 and pass. I actually measured and it's 14 inches and with a full sized 1911 it's definitely not too bad
Not everybody is qualifying with a 1911 because they're not intending to carry a 1911. Lot of people go for the micro .380s because of their size, can't hit shit at 25 with them, and fail when at 7 yards they'd pass no problem.

It's a flawed, illogical test.

If you can stay on two sheets of printer paper at 25 yards, you are good. Not a real hard qualification to meet. But I agree it's a stupid standard for what is supposed to be a self-defense permit where almost all interactions are at 7 yards or less.

Not everybody is qualifying with a 1911 because they're not intending to carry a 1911. Lot of people go for the micro .380s because of their size, can't hit shit at 25 with them, and fail when at 7 yards they'd pass no problem.

Just about everyone I know of has qualified with a .45 cal (or maybe a 9mm) since you will be limited to carrying the caliber you qualify at at the largest.

There is no requirement you qualify with the gun you intend to carry.

The only reason I qualify with a 45 is that I do not have a 50 (handgun, that is)

The biggest obstacle can be finding an Army L target as those are not generally stocked except by people or businesses that offer the RI shooting test. The bullseye is too big to be a challenge for normal target shooting.

If you can stay on two sheets of printer paper at 25 yards

Yup.

Just about everyone I know of has qualified with a .45 cal (or maybe a 9mm) since you will be limited to carrying the caliber you qualify at at the largest.
So what does the 21 year old fresh out of college girl who has a min. wage job do when she wants her CCW? Buy a 1911 she never intends to carry and then buy the LCP?

The range qualification basically forces people to buy two guns on top of the hundreds it already costs to get the fukking license.

So what does the 21 year old fresh out of college girl who has a min. wage job do when she wants her CCW? Buy a 1911 she never intends to carry and then buy the LCP?

The range qualification basically forces people to buy two guns on top of the hundreds it already costs to get the fukking license.
Buy a box of 45 and ask the individual doing the qualification to bring a 1911.

Correction: Two boxes. 20 rounds to practice; 30 for the test; 50 as a thank you for the person doing the qualification.

Or, go to a commercial range like American Firearms School or Mass Firearms School and pay to have the test done and rent a gun. I know the former does RI quals; not sure about the later.

Last edited:
I have given the RI test about a dozen times.

What I have found is how bad a shot people can be. I included it as a free option after a competition shooting class. Never again - experienced shooters, about a 20% pass rate, even with retries. Now, I book one on one for people who are serious about getting the RI permit. Free, but Comm2a donors only. One guy gave me a $100 check payable to the club as a thank you when we were done. Another gave me two boxes of factory 9mm FMJ.

One guy failed miserably on his first try, ignoring my suggestion to shoot from a seated position (position not specified in RI law). I told him "I haven't got all day, I want you to pass but I will not cheat. If you follow my advice you have a decent shot of passing, if you don't you will almost certainly fail". He then shot the way I suggested, and just barely passed - but did so legitimately.

Last edited:

52b9cad5ac0cbdbcf07d405947aeb9d4.jpg

V-Tech shooter had multiple guns and VA had a waiting period at the time. Obviously didn't do anything to prevent premeditated crime.

But did he have a loudener???? I didn't think so!

Are Californians born retarded or do they become that way?

Become. I mean, my generation back, 99.999% of Californians are/were transplants. I Am I Said. Sitting on the Dock of the Bay. All that stuff.

I didn't know that QAnon was on NES...

Roberts role in the Obamacare decision and his attempts to keep the court from being seen as political have been reported on by mainstream, conservative and liberal media. Maybe you just are well read on the topic?

I have given the RI test about a dozen times.

What I have found is how bad a shot people can be. I included it as a free option after a competition shooting class. Never again - experienced shooters, about a 20% pass rate, even with retries. Now, I book one on one for people who are serious about getting the RI permit. Free, but Comm2a donors only. One guy gave me a $100 check payable to the club as a thank you when we were done. Another gave me two boxes of factory 9mm FMJ.

One guy failed miserably on his first try, ignoring my suggestion to shoot from a seated position (position not specified in RI law). I told him "I haven't got all day, I want you to pass but I will not cheat. If you follow my advice you have a decent shot of passing, if you don't you will almost certainly fail". He then shot the way I suggested, and just barely passed - but did so legitimately.
20% pass at 25 yards with people who rarely shoot. There's nothing in the Constitution that says you lose your right to bare arms because you can't get a certain score on a paper target at 25 yards, which is WAY beyond the average distance for a self defense shooting. In fact, 25 yards is so far that if you shot someone and claimed self defense, you'll probably be arrested for murder because the prosecution will say you could have attempted to flee instead.

Why until next year until we hear anything ?
That's how long it will take the nine justices to hash out a majority opinion that six justices will join, a dissent that three will join and at least one (but possibly more) concurring opinions. None of these are written in a vacuum. Drafts are circulated to all nine justices, and their edited. The majority and dissenting opinions reference each other. It doesn't stop until all nine get their own last word. This could easily go until June.

Is June a hard limit? Can I as an MA restricted LTC holder pre-order a lawsuit in anticipation of a favorable a ruling which MA/the issuing town then refuses to honor until sued?

Supreme Court terms start in October and end at the end of June. Often the most hot button controversial cases are issued at the end of the term

This NYT podcast is worth a listen to understand the strategy the liberal media take in their anti-gun agenda. The interesting statistic, is that 25% of the US population are in seven May Issue/No Issue states. NYT’s basis is that SCOTUS could rule that anyone could carry any gun anywhere anytime, so people in those 7 states will launch a wave of violent crime if the vote goes “wrong”.

With surveys showing fewer believe such lies and distortions, it’s amazing the liberal media keep up the same losing strategy. Fine by me!

This NYT podcast is worth a listen to understand the strategy the liberal media take in their anti-gun agenda. The interesting statistic, is that 25% of the US population are in seven May Issue/No Issue states. NYT’s basis is that SCOTUS could rule that anyone could carry any gun anywhere anytime, so people in those 7 states will launch a wave of violent crime if the vote goes “wrong”.

With surveys showing fewer believe such lies and distortions, it’s amazing the liberal media keep up the same losing strategy. Fine by me!

Every time a state debates constitutional carry liberal in that state and national gun control nitwits say the same exact thing. Each time they say it will be the Wild West and blood in the streets and each time there is zero uptick in violence or shootings after it’s passed.

If DeSantis is the nominee for POTUS in 2024, they’ll say trump was horrible but DeSantis will be even more dangerous. It’s the same BS on each issue, trump, guns, global warming, etc

Really, in places like NYC, LA, San Fran, Oakland, etc. what is stopping the gangbangers from carrying guns and shooting each other already? Whether you ban any sort of carrying of are constitutional carry the criminals ignore it all.

We've had however many states move from shall issue to permitless and there's no quantifiable data on whether shootings went up as a result strictly due to that.

Really, in places like NYC, LA, San Fran, Oakland, etc. what is stopping the gangbangers from carrying guns and shooting each other already? Whether you ban any sort of carrying of are constitutional carry the criminals ignore it all.

We've had however many states move from shall issue to permitless and there's no quantifiable data on whether shootings went up as a result strictly due to that.

NY states lawyer was in way over her head. She made the case that the NY gun laws keep guns off the subway and away from other sensitive areas. She’s an idiot and the justices couldn’t have been impressed with that argument. As you’re saying, those gun laws keep legal, upstanding citizens from carrying but they absolutely don’t eliminate guns in those places it only means it’s only the criminals who have them.

NY had some BS argument about strict regulation of guns in high population density areas - Breyer went along with it. People carry guns just for fun, he says, shooting and killing people! These SCOTUS Justices just don’t put their pants on one leg at a time like us regular folks.

It’s like the speed limit being lowered to 45mph where I93 enters the Boston O’Neill tunnel. High population (high traffic), so more gun restrictions (lower speed limit). Like you could drive at 60mph in the tunnel at rush hour? Senseless, feel good laws!

Is a cop going to pull over someone who manages to go 60mph in the tunnel Monday 830am? No way to catch him!

Are all the cops in Times Square on New Years Eve going to snag someone for illegal possession of a gun? No way To catch him!

Half the US population lives in 146 of 3000+ US counties - NY only wants those folk deprived of their rights…

AB2379CA-1F69-4A81-AB07-8687D9EA8887.jpeg

NY states lawyer was in way over her head. She made the case that the NY gun laws keep guns off the subway and away from other sensitive areas. She’s an idiot and the justices couldn’t have been impressed with that argument. As you’re saying, those gun laws keep legal, upstanding citizens from carrying but they absolutely don’t eliminate guns in those places it only means it’s only the criminals who have them.
After seeing the story of the woman raped on a Philadelphia subway while people looked on... that's a situation where she has no ability to retreat. Can't exactly jump from a moving train to escape or have the ability to leave the car fast enough, yet the anti conceal carry local and state governments are going to blame the other people for not helping (which they have no obligation to do) yet they won't allow her to carry to protect herself on a subway.

NY would rather see women be raped than allow them to defend themselves.

The case can be made people aren't skilled enough to carry, that's why I see a potential nightmare with range testing and classroom training (that shit will get expensive fast in NYC), but I don't see any judiciary striking down safety training in order to get a CCW.

Don't expect any of the other bullshit that the may issue states make us go thru is going to change, but when applying for the CCW it won't be an automatic denial.

The case can be made people aren't skilled enough to carry, that's why I see a potential nightmare with range testing and classroom training (that shit will get expensive fast in NYC), but I don't see any judiciary striking down safety training in order to get a CCW.
Nothing cost wise compared the until recent market rate of $10K for honorariums to the licensing officers, and a lot easier for the average person that becoming famous or making friends in high places. As long as it is left to the private sector things could work.

What I do see if it becomes shall issue and training used as an obstacle is onerous requirements. The system came in kicking and screaming against the armed pilot program. Instead of going to a local range for private sector training and qualification, they made it a mult-day course in (I think) New Mexico to make it as inconvenient as possible to keep the numbers down. And on top of that, had to designate these pilots as "federal officers" to avoid the spectre of armed civilians (using the Webster's dictionary definition of that term).

Then there is storage - perhaps a requirement for a TRTL60x6 safe or similar.

If NYC becomes shall-issue expect no increase in the licensing department, continuation of the $1000ish fee, and a multi-year wait for an appointment. The licensing unit may never even grow big enough to handle the constant influx of people moving it or becoming of legal age ... and it will switch from needing a connection to get approved to needing a connection to get an appointment. NYC will not easily fold.

When there was a proposal to unrestrict all target/home only permits in NYC under the Koch administration the announced contingency plan if it passed was immediate revocation of all restricted NYC pistol permits.

NY had some BS argument about strict regulation of guns in high population density areas - Breyer went along with it. People carry guns just for fun, he says, shooting and killing people! These SCOTUS Justices just don’t put their pants on one leg at a time like us regular folks.

It’s like the speed limit being lowered to 45mph where I93 enters the Boston O’Neill tunnel. High population (high traffic), so more gun restrictions (lower speed limit). Like you could drive at 60mph in the tunnel at rush hour? Senseless, feel good laws!

Is a cop going to pull over someone who manages to go 60mph in the tunnel Monday 830am? No way to catch him!

Are all the cops in Times Square on New Years Eve going to snag someone for illegal possession of a gun? No way To catch him!

Half the US population lives in 146 of 3000+ US counties - NY only wants those folk deprived of their rights…

View attachment 541308

To be fair, I was watching the bi-weekly Mega Driving School video 2-3 weeks ago. Some dipwad came into the tunnels at about 75 when traffic was doing 60. He tried to juke and jive and ended up creating a 4 car pile-up. They need everyone to slow down to minimize the moron-effect. LOL

Back
Top Bottom