SCOTUS Grants Cert to a Gun Case! (NY State)

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Sally Parker. She's that nice clerk. LOL

Could you imagine you have to go to one of the 18 or so (guessing) barracks to get your license renewed. You and every other person in your AO? There'd be a line out the door every day of the week. And what do you do when that lic. officer is on his mandatory 4-6 weeks vacation per year? Licensing could grind to a halt.

Not to say I DON'T want the USSC to rule in our favor. I could foresee some terrible Massholian snapback though.

Mesatchornug

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Sally Parker. She's that nice clerk. LOL

Could you imagine you have to go to one of the 18 or so (guessing) barracks to get your license renewed. You and every other person in your AO? There'd be a line out the door every day of the week. And what do you do when that lic. officer is on his mandatory 4-6 weeks vacation per year? Licensing could grind to a halt.

Not to say I DON'T want the USSC to rule in our favor. I could foresee some terrible Massholian snapback though.
I've got to ask - why do you keep referring to SCOTUS as USSC?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
☦️ Boston Gun & Rifle and Braintree Rifle & Pistol
Sure.
Except it's the Supreme Court of the United States, thus it is called SCOTUS, e.g. the title of this thread, scotusblog, etc.
SCOTUS became popular parlance when POTUS started getting used (mid 2000s?). Prior to that the abbreviation commonly used was USSC. Or at least that's the way I remember it.
/1980s kid

milktree

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
SCOTUS became popular parlance when POTUS started getting used (mid 2000s?). Prior to that the abbreviation commonly used was USSC. Or at least that's the way I remember it.
/1980s kid

I’d bet a pizza that The West Wing had a significant part in popularizing the use of POTUS.

The West Wing started in 1999.

cathouse01

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
/1980s kid
From Merriam-Webster:
The earliest recorded use any variant of -OTUS is from 1879, when SCOTUS (Supreme Court of the United States) appeared in a book titled The Phillips Telegraphic Code for the Rapid Transmission by Telegraph. This work, by Walter P. Phillips, was one of a large number of code books which allowed people to send inexpensive or secret messages via telegraph. Telegraphs were priced based on length, so one wanted to use as few words as possible. SCOTUS appeared between the abbreviations for scoundrel (scndrl) and scribble (scribl).

Jason Flare

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not kidding when I say the West Wing and Glee are the two TV shows most responsible for the dystopian Hell we have today because of their influence. Makes Oprah Winfrey's mindf***ing of bored housewives look like patty cake in comparison.
Should I be proud or ashamed I actually had to Google what both of those are?

Mesatchornug

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
History is important.
You know, like that historic document The Bill of Rights.
Besides, you knew what he meant.
To be clear, this is why I asked for clarification. I might have been clearer, I suppose. For once, I wasn't trying to be a dick.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just now NY Gov. Hochul takes time to deride this SCOTUS case during a live press conference for the Buffalo NY store murders.

Edit: She looked drunk BTW

🐯

Houchul looks like a mouse on crack. Very weird looking woman

I didn’t see what she said but can assume it was a defense of the NY carry scheme. This case is a great example of why the NY scheme is unconstitutional, encourages these wackos and why the NY law is bad policy. The law abiding people could not carry because the govt said they didn’t show a need and the wacko seeking to murder ignored the laws. She’s pretty stupid so she wouldn’t understand this shooting hurts the defense of the NY state law.

CatSnoutSoup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Houchul looks like a mouse on crack. Very weird looking woman

I didn’t see what she said but can assume it was a defense of the NY carry scheme.

Nothing so sophisticated as a defense of the current system. Rather blatantly implying that there would be more of the same because, "The Supreme Court is about to allow concealed carry in NY," with a tone of implication that the Court was party to the vast white supremacist conspiracy she had just blamed the murders on (four hours after learning about them).

Oh and for good measure she also threw in "Pennsylvania gun shows" even though they have no apparent relation to this crime.

I looked for a video of the entire news conference to post but could not find one with her remarks, lots of clips at news outlets but not the unedited remarks.

🐯

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Nothing so sophisticated as a defense of the current system. Rather blatantly implying that there would be more of the same because, "The Supreme Court is about to allow concealed carry in NY," with a tone of implication that the Court was party to the vast white supremacist conspiracy she had just blamed the murders on (four hours after learning about them).

Oh and for good measure she also threw in "Pennsylvania gun shows" even though they have no apparent relation to this crime.

I looked for a video of the entire news conference to post but could not find one with her remarks, lots of clips at news outlets but not the unedited remarks.

🐯
Many counties in upstate NY grant pistol permits without restriction, good throughout the state except for NYC.

Top Bottom