• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scopes: Batteries and storage

After a quick search, I couldn’t find a thread, so...

Q: I have several scoped (and dialed) rifles...but I’m concerned that the batteries may corrode during storage / over time and ruin the optic...thus - will removing the batteries make their zero “untrue” (as in, will they need to be re-dialed upon my next trip to the range)?

Or, once set, will battery powered scopes hold their zero?

I’m not sure if this is the right Forum post this; feel free to move if needed

Thanks

Battery unrelated to mechanical elements of optic. For long term storage I would definitely remove battery for the following reasons
-corrosion
-spontaneous discharge, all electronics have some of this so a battery left taped to an optic will outlast a battery left inside the optic

-

As much as I dig red dots and holos, reality is that iron sights will always have a place alongside electro optics

Battery unrelated to mechanical elements of optic. For long term storage I would definitely remove battery for the following reasons
-corrosion
-spontaneous discharge, all electronics have some of this so a battery left taped to an optic will outlast a battery left inside the optic

-

As much as I dig red dots and holos, reality is that iron sights will always have a place alongside electro optics

Huh? "Spontaneous discharge"?

If an on/off switch is properly configured in a circuit, when switched off the connection is completely broken and the battery is isolated. The only discharge would be "self discharge" or internal discharge of the battery which wouldn't be affected by whether or not a battery is in the device or taped to the side.

I only buy optics with lifetime no BS warranties so I don't have to take the batteries out and don't have to worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom