Scopes and Front A2 sights on AR15

Hello,

I've read a few articles about adding a magnified scope to an AR and keeping the front A2 sight. I believe everyone has said that keeping the front sight on the rifle does not interfere with the sight picture when looking through the scope (maybe a small blur shows up on the bottom 1/4).

When looking at the google images, it seems most A2's are removed when a scope is mounted. Is this simply because people don't want that blur? Should this be a non factor?

For transparency, my setup is an MOE sl handguard with A2 intact and would like to add a Bushnell 3x9 using millet rings.

Thank you,
JB

I would think that a 3x9 on its lowest setting would look past the front sight on your AR. I had a benelli M2 field set up for deer hunting which had stock iron sights and with a 2x7 mounted on top. On the lowest setting I could barely notice the front sight - on 3 magnification or higher the front sight didn't show up in the scope at all. It wasn't a problem for me.

I would think that a 3x9 on its lowest setting would look past the front sight on your AR. I had a benelli M2 field set up for deer hunting which had stock iron sights and with a 2x7 mounted on top. On the lowest setting I could barely notice the front sight - on 3 magnification or higher the front sight didn't show up in the scope at all. It wasn't a problem for me.

That's been my experience as well. In fact, it kind of disappears even when using a RDS.

Is this on a handle, or flat top? I'd think on a handle, it would be fine. Planning the handle mount at some point myself. Waiting for the Nikon's to be on sale again at the same time I have some money.

The front sight will be out of focus so the higher the MagX the more so. Even with low power optics you will just ignore any of the front sight you see.....or see through it. Even with a red dot after a while you just don't really "see" the front sight if your focusing on putting the red dot on target your brain will not see the front sight.
As for seeing ARs with scopes and no front sight...well usually the owner has dedicated that upper to optics only.
If you want the best of both worlds and your AR already has a A2 sight just mount a scope and you can easily set up back to sights at any point.
A2 fixed carry handle with a scope mounted up top is very high. It's also very top heavy. Compact fixed mag scopes work well for on top of the carry handle. Tough to get a decent stock check weld with A2 set up.

... A2 fixed carry handle with a scope mounted up top is very high. ... Compact fixed mag scopes work well for on top of the carry handle. Tough to get a decent stock check weld with A2 set up.

I have a pretty big noggin, I guess. If it works with the A2 sights, the scope is only what, 1/2 inch higher?

i have a flattop with 3-9x40 co-witness mount and it does not bother me at all. as matter of fact i don't even ever see so much as a blur in my view.

I have a pretty big noggin, I guess. If it works with the A2 sights, the scope is only what, 1/2 inch higher?

Plant your noggin down on your A2 stock full weight of your head resting on the stock. That to me is a good cheak weld. If you can see through a scope on top of a A2 fixed carry handle it works for you thats good
. If not you either need to use a weak cheak weld or rest your chin on the stock[smile]

Depends on mount and optic more info here than need but a lot of good insight on mounting options, zeroing effect
https://fortress.wa.gov/...Rifle.../Section 05 Optics, Iron, and.

Last edited:
How do you like the P.E.P.R. mount? It seems like a pretty good bang for your buck mount. I am considering a Primary Arms 4-14X44 on my new build but I want to be able to take it off and on easily and use my BUIS's.
I was going to just go with the P-series but figured I'm going to have this for a long time and the 89.00 was worth it. I got mine on sale through primary arms. I can easily take it off and use my BUIS which is why I went QD. Not sure with other mounts but The BUIS fits just under the setup.

A scope mounted to a carry handle adds around 2". I find it very tough to get on the scope without putting some kind of homemade cheek riser on the stock.

Back
Top Bottom