• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scope Recommendations

So I went shooting with Jason (Doobie) this weekend, and he let me use his AR - thank you. First, I now know what my next gun purchase will be!!! [smile]

What I would like to do before then is get a good scope. To say there's a lot of choice out there is an understatement.

How does one go about selecting a good scope? I'd like one that can fit my, to be purchased, AR; but I'd also like to be able use it on my Ruger 10/22 (I have the flat-top scope mount on the Ruger).

What's a good price, or any recommendations? I'd like to spend not more than $400 (or less). I'll be shooting between 25-100 yards (for now -- they do have a 600 yard range at Nashua which may be tempting in the future).

Thanks......

If you have good eyes, I fully recommend using iron sights and learning on those.

Second, I love my scope :) I think it'll be good for 25-600 yards. But it was ~$490.

You really do need to get good scope for an AR due to the cycling (read not a cheap scope).

Cross rifling would really be the type of mount. The mount I have was around 130, and will go on any picatany rail.

I like the Weaver K7 that my 10/22 is sporting. Got it used off of eBay for about $70, IIRC. It's a variable - 2.5-7X and VERY nice.

It really depends on what kind of shooting you are going to be doing.

25-100 yards, are you going to benchrest? or just blasting, one target or multiple?

If its the latter, I would look at a Millet DMS 1-4x, at 1x you can keep both eyes open and shoot it like a red dot, on 4x you can shoot groups at 100

It really depends on what kind of shooting you are going to be doing.

25-100 yards, are you going to benchrest? or just blasting, one target or multiple?

If its the latter, I would look at a Millet DMS 1-4x, at 1x you can keep both eyes open and shoot it like a red dot, on 4x you can shoot groups at 100

Yup, Millet DMS will sooner or later find it's way onto my Troy MCS - it's a neat optic - especially for the price.

An old steel tubed Weaver like Ross mentioned is hard to beat. I've got several of them (none for sale, either), and have had good luck with them.

For the distances you're talking now, a Red Dot like the M2 Aimpoint isn't bad. They are good for 200 meters and less, and I wouldn't consider one for 300 meters and up. Some of them fall into your price range. Just remember, a 4 MOA dot is BIG. 2 MOA is better.

IOR. It's all I use or ever will use[wink]

http://www.iorvaldada.com/4x24m2tactical.html

I have a 1K+ model but this one designed for a AR is very good for the money.

Edit, the glass is made at Schott Glasswerk, Germany. The same company that makes the glass for Zeiss. It would be difficult to find optics that are visually more clear. Especially in that price range.

Last edited:
whats your point?
the ACOG ended up being damaged before i even got it, was then fixed by trijicon and now works excellent.

the mounting issue was due to a combination of bad lighting and no place to look at something that was more then 30 feet away. i had it mounted correctly from the beginning as it turned out.

are you trying to talk down to me or something?

I think it's important for the OP to know the knowledge and experience of the people making the recommendations.

Why recommend a $1k scopes when the OP limited the search to $400, to brag about what you have?

Look at me, I have an ACOG, come on guys, look over here, I have ACOG, The guys at mallninja.com said everyone would think I'm an Operator with the ACOG, I knew I should have gotten the chest rig instead.... hey why is my scope blurry

Last edited:
An old steel tubed Weaver like Ross mentioned is hard to beat. I've got several of them (none for sale, either), and have had good luck with them.

For the distances you're talking now, a Red Dot like the M2 Aimpoint isn't bad. They are good for 200 meters and less, and I wouldn't consider one for 300 meters and up. Some of them fall into your price range. Just remember, a 4 MOA dot is BIG. 2 MOA is better.

Yeah. I had a look at that.

One thing with the Midway site is that they have a category for rim fire and one for center fire rifles.

I think it's important for the OP to know the knowledge and experience of the people making the recommendations.

Why recommend a $1k scopes when the OP limited the search to $400, to brag about what you have?

Look at me, I have an ACOG, come on guys, look over here, I have ACOG, The guys at mallninja.com said everyone would think I'm an Operator with the ACOG, I knew I should have gotten the crest rig instead.... hey why is my scope blurry

i bought the ACOG becuase its a good optic. i dont run around the forums flaunting the fact that i have the money to pay for such expensive optics for my rifles.

the reason i may or may not of been trying to make (im not sure myself) is that cheap optics arent always the best route (maybe i just should of said that).
ive seen a lot of cheap optics perform bad or break easily.

oh and im a army veteran thats used ACOGs, not a mallninja, dickhead.
God forbid i ask for peoples opnions when im not sure on soemthing.

Last edited:
wait, you have used an ACOG before and still didn't know how it worked? Please go on.

when people call me bad names it makes me feel bad inside. I feel like I'm going to......oh wait it was just gas... carry on

i bought the ACOG becuase its a good optic. i dont run around the forums flaunting the fact that i have the money to pay for such expensive optics for my rifles.

the reason i may or may not of been trying to make (im not sure myself) is that cheap optics arent always the best route (maybe i just should of said that).
ive seen a lot of cheap optics perform bad or break easily.

oh and im a army veteran thats used ACOGs, not a mallninja, dickhead.
God forbid i ask for peoples opnions when im not sure on soemthing.

Last edited:
wait, you have used an ACOG before and still didn't know how it worked? Please go on.
ive never had one mounted on carbine length rifle before, hence the question about the mount. ive also never tried to laser bore sight one before either, hence the blurry in doors / odd light problem. (how dare i ask questions when im not sure!!!)

if you actualy read the ACOG broken thread, you would see that people actualy shared similar problems (both on it refusing to adjust correctly and blurryness), offered advice and everything ended up well.

not every ACOG is the same. sue me for not knowing them all by heart.
anymore eThuggery?

for the OP: i advocate for the ACOGs because they are extremely durable, waterproof up to something like 90+ feet of seawater and work great. also, trijicon offers a great warranty. its worth saving the money for one.

Hey, Dench and Supermoto - you guys want to take your pissing contest somewhere ELSE? Pipmaster was asking a question - and none of your posts are really helping him.

Pip I recently tried a Trijicon RX30 Reflex scope out on my AR. Pretty slick package in your price range and the best part is-no batteries. The only downside is I thought the red dot option was a little large. I haven't tried an Eotech but thought the Aimpoint M2 was pretty sharp as well in the 4-5 range.

You need to determine what you want to do with the optic. Do you:

1) Want to engage targets farther away or closer? This will give you your magnification range to look at.

2) Want to quickly engage targets? This is where the red dot/holo sights come into play.

The thing about moving one scope for many rifles is that you get versatility at the expense of utility. A magnified optic on an AR might be too large on a 10/22 for practical uses. It's the same idea with a red dot. There have been some good choices listed here and I have a couple of them on my black rifles. I have an older EO-tech that I got for short money that is on my carbine and I do have the mounts for my Comp M2 for it also if the holosight goes down.

The suggesttion of SWFA and look around the forums there is good. Don't forget to check out their bargin bin at the site.

Joe R.

Last edited:
I bought from SWFA and was very happy. Just fyi

I just wanted to express my concern over Nikon scopes - I have had issues 3x with the 3x9 I got. Had to be shipped back 2x already and now it just sits in the safe. Just a heads up as you go through your options.

Back
Top Bottom