• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scope recommendations for Ruger 10/22 Target model

I purchased a 10/22 target model with the stainless barrel.

I am looking for some scope recommendations. I did a little forum searching and seems it can be a little confusing, considering all that is available.

First scope, so simplicity may be a good option.

Thanks for your help

I put a Leupold 3-9x40 on my 77/22 (similar size, just a bolt version of the 10/22). I like the level of magnification it provides so if that isn't in your budget, you could go with a different brand but at a similar magnification level.

If you're going to be shooting beyond 75 yards, a spotting scope might be a wise investment considering how difficult it is to see 22!

Tell us how you're going to use your rifle. Do plan to hunt with it? Target shooting only? Distances you're planning to shoot? How well do you want to see your targets at your anticipated maximum range - do you want magnification that will allow you to see bullet strikes on your target? Will you be switching from long to short ranges frequently? How much will you be budgeting for?

I just went through this process and found that it was much more complicated than I first thought.

Tell us how you're going to use your rifle. Do plan to hunt with it? Target shooting only? Distances you're planning to shoot? How well do you want to see your targets at your anticipated maximum range - do you want magnification that will allow you to see bullet strikes on your target? Will you be switching from long to short ranges frequently? How much will you be budgeting for?

I just went through this process and found that it was much more complicated than I first thought.

Terry:
Answers to your questions

1) Target only with multiple users, all novices.

2) Varying distances

3) Being able to see the bullet strikes would be a pus. However, my guess is that this option raises the complication level a few notches. So, maybe 1st scope should not be too optioned?

4) With multiple shooters: wife teenagers...........will probably change distances frequently

5) I don't mind spending a few bucks........ as long as I get what I paid for! I just don't want to buy more than I will use. I certainly consider simplicity as valuable option.

I appreciate your questions, as soon as I started looking, I knew I needed help.

Last edited:
Just a note. With multiple shooters the impact might not be the same. Also the eye piece or bell adjust for clearity of the cross hairs so that can change from shooter to shooter. Magnification can also change your zero.
There's so much in what a scope can and cant do. I grew up on the 5/8ths tubes and 3x9s where the norm.
I have run the gamut of the "affordable" scopes and have been lucky to have good results. I also have come to like the Multi reticle style scopes. All of this was confusing at first but taking the time to learn has really simplified the use of scopes.
That said I have become a fan of Hawke Optics for my air rifles and 22s

I have this one Hawke Optics | Hawke Airmax EV 4-12x40 AO I have grown to really like it. Used with the software for ballistics and zeroing you can make cheat sheets for different holds.....

I also have this one might be abit much for a 22 but does a lot. Also the side focus for the adjustable objective is much easier to use. Also its got a iliminated dot. Something kids seem to like?. Hawke Optics | Hawke Eclipse 30 SF 4-16x50
Used with the ballistics calculator below you can really get dialed in nicely. It took a little time to figure out but man is it easy now. I have cheat sheet tags on my rifle....can also print them to fit in your scope lens caps.

http://www.hawkeoptics.com/brc.html#.UiyHbB1q09w

I have one of these also on my savage 22lr bolt gun. Leupold VX-II Rimfire Rifle Scope Extended Focus Range 3-9x 33mm Fine

used

Last edited:
I don't know this forum's policy on links to other forums, so I'm going to send you a PM with a link to a beginner's guide to scopes that was put together by a very knowledgeable rimfire shooter. There's an lot to know before you can make a well informed decision.

BSA Sweet 22 is an inexpensive decent scope. I have one on my 10/22 and I like the distance adjustment. It is fair to OK on the clarity standpoint, but for a sub $100 scope it works well.

I'm using a Bushnell Sportsman (?) 4-12x40 AO on my tricked out 10/22 and am very happy with it shooting targets
@ 50 meters. Besides a very occasional (minimal) windage OR elevation adjustment I don't change anything.
I'm running out of the best shooting batch of ammo I ever had, though (older lot of Federal Gold Medal) and that
might change things a bit.

I bought a used 10/22 with a BSA sweet 22 scope attached. For what you want to do this scope should perform well at little cost.

Seeing quite a few 10/22 shooters at my club using Mueller APV scopes, I picked one up myself. PERFECT for me on my 10/22.

Hard to go wrong with an APV.... I have one on my 10/22 and have to say it's a great scope for the money.....

Tasco 4X16 - 40mm have one on my 10/22 and i shoot 50yd and 100yd benchrest at my club... set at 16x i can see the .22 holes in the paper at 100yards gotta look for them but i can see them.

Thanks for all the help. I went scope shopping with the intention of picking up an APV, seemed to be the most highly recommended scope.

Unfortunately, I didn't find one. I played around with a few scopes and opted to go with a very reasonably priced one to get started.

It certainly won't be a huge loss when/if I upgrade. I actually had an easier time sighting this (in the store), compared to some more expensive ones.

I bought a Pursuit 3-9x32.......... I did say cheap! It looks good on the rifle and seems like it will do it's job. Looking forward to giving it a go!

I have had my license for a little more than a month know and I am on firearm #3........ I am assuming multiple scopes is in my future.

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom