• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scope Mounting on AR

So, I got an LVPO in a canitliver style mount on my AR. Problem is, to retain the BUIS's I have to mount the optic/mount far enough forward that the front of the mount is on the free float tube, and the rear is on the upper receiver as it should be. In my head, the one answer is that I should ditch the BUIS and move the mount rearward so that the entire mount in on my upper receiver. Buuuuuut The free float forend is a midwest industries that is rock solid.

This is on a supressed 300BO SBR. Its not gonna ever be a distance precision weapon and im not kicking in doors in shitholistan or anything.

Worse case is my POI/POA moves off a bit, but im realistically looking for center mass at 200 and/or a 3in steel plate for range fun for now.

Anyone run something like this? best case/worse case scenario?

You could always get offset BUIS

This. I have offsets on my AR-10 308. This is what I'm running and have the BUIS zeroed at 50 with my 1-9x at 100. Still have to get around to setting up a dope card out to 1000. Goal is to use the scope for 100+ and irons for anything under. Because I cant to the right as I'm a shoot righty, the initial zero was right and I had to shift POI left by about 7". YMMV.

Unless your LVPO is on a QD mount, I'd either do the offset irons, or just ditch them completely, I was using offset irons some time back on an upper, but gave up on that system. The LVPO isn't going to be useless if the battery dies, unlike a dot. Worst case, if the battery craps out, you still have the etched reticle to use.

QD mount or ditch the lpvo for a rds since it’s only 200 yards.

When you say you have to move the lpvo forward to retain the buis, does that mean being able to flip it up or is this an eye relief issue?

Edit: forget the eye relief since that doesn’t make sense. Either move the scope back because you’ll have time to ditch it for buis or use something offset for when you need sights NOW.

So, I got an LVPO in a canitliver style mount on my AR. Problem is, to retain the BUIS's I have to mount the optic/mount far enough forward that the front of the mount is on the free float tube, and the rear is on the upper receiver as it should be. In my head, the one answer is that I should ditch the BUIS and move the mount rearward so that the entire mount in on my upper receiver. Buuuuuut The free float forend is a midwest industries that is rock solid.

This is on a supressed 300BO SBR. Its not gonna ever be a distance precision weapon and im not kicking in doors in shitholistan or anything.

Worse case is my POI/POA moves off a bit, but im realistically looking for center mass at 200 and/or a 3in steel plate for range fun for now.

Anyone run something like this? best case/worse case scenario?
Im assuming you have a round Free Float tube?
Why not move to some think like this… then all you need to do is worry about the eye relief?

What BUIS? Is it mounted on the furthest back rail slot?
What is the eye relief of your scope?
I can't picture a scope in a cantilever mount that is half off of the receiver and you still being able to achieve proper cheek weld and eye relief.... Unless the mount is backwards, do you have your mount backwards?

Here's some pics. As pictured, I've got good eye relief at all stock positions and its comfortable.

ETA: its got a ghey brace, waiting on my form 1 for this 80 build

Attachments

• 20221026_194140.jpg
    20221026_194140.jpg
    495.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 20221026_193947.jpg
    20221026_193947.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 33
You've got it positioned so the BUIS can be used with the scope mounted. That's not strictly necessary. You can zero the BUIS, then mount the optic over them. Then, if anything catastrophic happens to the optic, you can take it off and use the BUIS.

Firstly, go green.
Second, ditch the backups. You won’t realistically need them unless the scope really is a pos. Replace them with offsets and move on.

Scope or irons: Commit to one and ditch the other.

That being said, the cantilever mount being partly on the front rail isn't optimal, but I don't imagine practical accuracy would suffer that much inside of 200 yards.

Slide the scope forward an inch or two in it's mount, then position the mount an inch or two back onto your receiver. Ditch the buis or go off-set if you still have no room.

I don't have a pic, but I managed to absolute co-witness the flip sights with the LPVO on my AR10 (both fit on the upper reciever)

Also, I strongly recommend a quick-release cantilever if you're using BUIS. If the clamps are decent quality, the zero should remain dead on after taking on/off.

Back
Top Bottom