• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scope Mount Screw Loose On the Polymer Rail of Smith Wesson MP 15 22

I have a recent model of Smith Wesson M&P 15 22. It has a polymer rail, and factory-installed MBUS front and rear sights.
My problems is that when I tried to mount a 4x scope or a light-weight reflex sight on the polymer rail, the scope ring screws or the mounting screw of the reflex sight always get loose by half a turn, no matter how I tighten them.
I thought the reason could be the elastic nature of the polymer. However, the factory-install MBUS sights are fine on the rail. So I assume that the mounting screws need to be vibration-resistant, or with some kind of loctite.
My question is, will loctite solve the problem? If so, is blue loctite enough, or I have to use red loctite?

a .22 doesn't have a heck of a lot of vibration.

Are you sure you're using the proper size mounts?

If you use loctite, DO NOT USE RED red loc-tite.
Red is designed to require heat to remove.

Heat is not good for polymers... Do I need to go any further with this?

Blue loctite is your friend. After not using it several times and having to deal with loose mounts at the range I finally learned to use it every damn time, yes, even on .22's.

Thanks for the advice.
It seems no easy to manufacture tight screws. Instead of buying expensive scope rings and scopes, I may need to use loctite with wallet-friendly equipment.
After I am sure about using that reflex scope on the 15 22, I will use blue loctite on the mounting screws.

Strange, I don't have this problem with mine. My red dot and magnifier stay securely attached. I did remove the MBUS sights on mine, and I can tell you they definitely loctited them.

I would say try a drop of blue loctite.

Purple 222 loctite is more gun friendly.

Just a small warning I have had loctite ruin some plastics. In pellet guns

Last edited:
I use blue loctite on all my firearm mounting screws now. From scope mounts, action screws and side saddle shell carriers. Nothing like running a shotgun course having to finger tighten the side saddle action screws after every few shells.

I have heard of loctite not playing nice with some plastics as the poster above stated. So maybe test on another section first?

Back
Top Bottom