Scope for AR...

Ok so looking for a new scope to mount on my flat top AR...tried a Barska red dot...needless to say not a big fan , and a few members that I have gone to the range with will tell you the same..

So based on a few suggestions this is the one I'm looking into getting
http://www.swfa.com/pc-9906-1353-bsa-6-18x40-sweet-223-riflescope.aspx

Anyone have one of these on a AR ? Good / bad...pros and cons ? ?

I'm open to suggestions on a scope but not looking to go crazy...something under $200 would work ...as long as it holds zero and can put me on paper @ 100 yards I'm happy [smile] Let me know

Gonna have to figure out something for mounts also , since the AR is a flat top...the red dot had built in mount so it was easy..Never mounted a scope to a AR personally so dont know exactly what I need to get to get it all on there and range ready..

Thanks in advance [smile] ... Rob

Damn went to go check it out ... looks like SWFA's site is down all I get is a server error [sad] go figure.. I'll check it out when the site is back up in action !

Come on all you black rifle fans ... give me some more suggestions [smile] Not looking for anything super pricey but something that will put me on paper up to atleast 100 yrds is what I'm after... Trying to stay somewhat basic .. Trying to steer away from the red dot , my eye has a hard time picking up the dot so looking for a "classic" if you will kinda scope . Shot PantherarmsAR10's ar with his super sniper on it and liked that , but a little out of my price range for my first ever scope.

Something that has a good magnification , and adjustability since I shoot with my right eye and well to be honest my domininant eye is my left so makes things kinda screwy.

Any ideas fellas... BSA , Millet . Something basically under $two bills .. To be honest scopes are all new to me so all the numbers dont really make sense to me no idea what they mean.

So with that being said....explainations , suggestions , ideas are all welcomed and very much appreciated... Point me in the right direction [smile]

I purchased a Nikon 3x9 as my first rifle scope. It was mounted on my AR carry handle. To be honest I had some problems mounting and sighting it in properly - ok so I screwed it up bad enough that twice it had to go back to Nikon. They warrantied it both times and it has been a good scope since that point - its now on my 10/22. I now just use iron sights on that AR.

I put a trijicon reflex on my flat top AR and have been very happy with it. Good for closer range quick acquistion. I would have gone with a Eotech but I got a great deal on the reflex and I had seen it in use on an AR so I knew I would be satisfied. (+ no batteries)

I put a Super Sniper on my varmit style AR for the longer range shots. I have only been able to get to a range out to 200 yards but its clear and accurate. That scope is pretty awesome for the money.

Thats just some feedback for you with my experience.

Check out the Vortex 6-24x50mm for $99.99. I have one on my AR if you want to try it at the July 3rd shoot you are more than welcomed. Not sure if you are in or not.

Last edited:
Cool I'll check it out , Would love to try it out and make it to the Shoot but I'm going to be in Indiana from the 1-7th visiting the Family...otherwise I would definetly be In

I put a 4-16x40 mil-dot on mine. You can get these for $80 (mounts included). I thought I'd try it to see if I like it before I spend too much money on something I don't like, so far it's working ok.

Most say 4 power is too much, but I'm not doing IDPA (yet). But I like the 16 power at 100 to 150 yards.

If you want to see it or try it, let me know. We're both in NH so it should be easy.

ill throw another one in for the Millet DMS. I have one and that rifle has take a serious beating, betweem work, range and training. I have mine mounted in a LT-104 mount.

I went down real hard on my rifle, on concrete and I ddi not lose zero.

As far as the 100 yd hits, I was having no problems hitting the 250m knock down at 2.5 on the zoom

Remember buy once cry once [wink]

-DM-

Ok so just got home from work and my wife was all excited ...was kinda curious as to why . She was on swfa's site and remembered me talking about that BSA sweet .223 scope the 3-12x40 to be exact and well she actually bought it for me..so I guess thats whats soon to be on my AR , hopefully its half way decent .

But she did'nt get any mounting rings etc , so now that the scope is on its way , what is a good mount for it ? The AR is a flat top so no carry handle . Scope is a 1" tube. Suggestions ? ?

That really depends onhow much you want to spend. I went with a LT-104 (which you can get with 1" rings), but it wasnt cheap $215 shipped.

-DM-

I was looking at these , for the time being till I can get something a little better .. just to get it on there and be able to put it to work.

http://swfa.com/Weaver-Six-Hole-Tactical-1-Rings-P11952.aspx

What I was wondering since there are 2 version one "high" and the other "extra high" is which one to get..was kinda thinking the high version to keep the scope lower to the reciever.

not a big scope fan, but for the sub 200.00 range its all a crap shoot. I have a Tasco propoint thats, well I think its old. where talking 10 years maybe. I have replaced the batter onces. It has held zero on every gun it has been on. If I can find the right hieght rings it will be the first sight on my AR. I also have a cheap ass chinacom pistol scope on my ruger MKIII. so far 500+rounds it is still holding on. The ruger is in a really nice case and special spot as to not get nocked around. I also have a gamo 3X9 on my glenfield 25 1000rnds ok.

If you know its going to get banged around and put into some harsh treatment you must get a scope ment for such. Id you are just going to be plinking @ 100 and in ??????
I have bought several cheap scopes. some last some dont. My favorite scope I ever dished out any coin for is a early leopould VXIII with a magnification adjustment out to 800 yards. Yet I have never been to a range over 100 to try it out. Currently it sits in a nice place awaiting a project. I bought a burris speedbead for my 870. worked out great, but after a few good bangs around the field I dismounted and sold before I broke it. new owner fabricated a mount to put it on his stevens 22 bolt rifle???

PS I put a post out on the Famous Maker scopes, I see these more and more and they can be had for elcheapo. In the end you will find you get what you pay for and you also pay for something that may not work for you even though you spent 1K plus.

I also have a strange habbit of useing good rings and mount with my cheapazz scopes??

Last edited:
I have bought several 30 yr old scopes very reasonably on EBay. Look for made in Japan. Bushnell 4x $30, extremely clear view great price.

Well looks like early Fathers day present inbound tomorrow [smile] Just got a email from SWFA they overnighted the scope and rings ! ! ! ! Should be here by the time I get out of work... Woooo Hooo ... Man its gonna be nice to finally have something on the AR so I can get this damn thing sighted in once and for all

Well looks like early Fathers day present inbound tomorrow [smile] Just got a email from SWFA they overnighted the scope and rings ! ! ! ! Should be here by the time I get out of work... Woooo Hooo ... Man its gonna be nice to finally have something on the AR so I can get this damn thing sighted in once and for all

Awesome man SWFA has been great the times I have used them. Hope it makes it to you quickly and can get out shooting (dam rain)

Should be here anytime now actually...cant wait to mount it on this baby....I'll put some pics up once I get it together [wink] trust me Im sick of the rain myself...damn it

Ok so got to the range yesterday morning with "PantherarmsAR10" aka Dennis and Bill "Wmccurdy53" to play for a few hours and sight in the AR .

Well in my opinion for the money its a decent optic ,clear glass good sight picture etc . Was sighting in at 100 yards and finally got this thing on paper , cant hold a three shot group for crap but then again might have been cause I only got 2 hours of sleep the night before [rolleyes] and was being kinda jerky on the trigger. Could put 2 rds within a 1/4" of eachother but 3rd would be off in left field , pretty sure it was just me , cause Dennis did'nt seem to have any problem holding decent groups with it .

One thing we did notice was when I went to change the elevation turret to a 55gr the three allen screws are a pain in the ass and one was a different size then the rest , so couldnt swap them out till after i got back home and was cleaning the AR ..it comes with three turrets one for 50gr , 55gr , and 62gr ammo , so we were shooting it with the 50gr on the scope but 55gr xm193 ammo , so I called SWFA and asked them about the whole deal and cause the elevation turret had a bucnh of metal machining shavings all over it so we thought maybe it was a used optic , but its new got that confirmed from them , just a crappy quality control on cleaning up the mess I guess.

But I told them about the grouping thing , and they thing it could have been due to well shooter error of course which on my part doesnt suprise me cause I barely slept and was kind of out of it ..but also due to the wrong elevation turret for the ammo I was running . Since the scope is specifically made for the .223 rd with the BD compensated into the scope for the certain ammo..

Either way all in all , its a dececnt optic for short money . I'm just glad to finally be on paper after dealing with the Red Dot that I had before . So it was a $50 well spent in my opinion [smile] now just gotta work on my grouping and try and make sure I sleep more than a couple hours before i go to the range !

- Rob

Rob,

The BDC turrets have no effect on how tight the group is. They only influence how close to the Point Of Aim the group should be.
I was actually at the range yesterday with my prcision AR as well. And had some good and some OK targets. Instead of shooting for groups, try shooting at 2" circles - one shot per circle. Makes for a much more interesting exercise. Also, the ammo you are using and the rifle as well as the scope have a lot to do with the accuracy of the whole system.
Personally, I prefer 1/4" MOA adjustments on my scopes. The BDC is really useful for Military since it is faster to adjust distance, but is less precise.

Rob,

The BDC turrets have no effect on how tight the group is. They only influence how close to the Point Of Aim the group should be.
I was actually at the range yesterday with my prcision AR as well. And had some good and some OK targets. Instead of shooting for groups, try shooting at 2" circles - one shot per circle. Makes for a much more interesting exercise. Also, the ammo you are using and the rifle as well as the scope have a lot to do with the accuracy of the whole system.
Personally, I prefer 1/4" MOA adjustments on my scopes. The BDC is really useful for Military since it is faster to adjust distance, but is less precise.

No honestly I think the grouping was my error , was being kind of jerky on the trigger and taking shots to fast...pretty much need to work on my rythm , breathing , trigger squeeze . I'll have to try that excercise sometime , definetly sounds like a challenge for me anyway. Either way I'm just happy we finally got this thing on paper , the rest I can work on and improve with time and ammo of course [wink]

The scope is a 1/4" MOA adjustment , it has the BDC for specified grain ammo not sure if its built into the scope itself or if it has to do with the elevation turrets.. I'll have to dig out the paperwork and read up on it some more .. as far as ammo goes its all 55gr XM193 and a few rounds of cheap PMC 55 grainers . I've always shot pistols so the whole AR / rifle thing is somewhat new to me so Im sure it will take a little time to get myself into a good rythm..

The other thing that is basically screwing me up is Im a righty with left eye being dominant , its not even that its the dominant eye . I had eye surgery on my right eye probably 12 years ago or so and could always see better out of it after , but over the past few years the vision in my right eye is getting blurry especially at long distances . So I guess maybe its time I break down and go get a eye exam and get me some glasses..that way I wont be trying so hard trying to make my right eye focus.

But all in all , it got me on paper within the lines at 100 yds so I'm happy with it , now its just time to work on my shooting .

-Rob

Back
Top Bottom