Scope for AR-15

Hi,
I'm a newbie to this group as well as shooting and I need some advice. I recently purchased a Bushmaster AR-15 with removable handle. Since I'm a bit older my eyes aren't what they used to be so I decided on a scope. The gun will be used 100% of the time for target shooting at 50 to 200 yards. Perhaps longer distances if I get good. The question is what scope and mounts do I need. At the local store we tried the red dot system, but it didn't work since the front sight is too high. I want to spend in the $300 range unless convinced to spend more/less.

I saw a Leupold Mark AR 3X9 in the catalog and it seems like a good fit. Is this over kill? Do I need the BDC feature or a scope specifically designed for an AR?

Thanks for your help and I look forward to participating on this board.

I would go for the Mark AR 1.5-4x20. Since most of your shooting will be inside 200-yards, it seems to be a good fit for closer ranges. I just bought the Leupold MR/T 1.5-5 and it's a stunningly nice piece of glass... The LaRue SPR is next on my radar, but the Burris PEPR is a nice affordable mount to get you going....I have my MR/T in the PERR now and it's really nice...

Welcome to NES...[cheers]

Do you want to shoot groups or are just hitting steel at distance?
Massmarks suggestion is good if you are not trying for groups. I would also suggest a Burris XTR 1-4

If you want to shoot groups, I would go with something with more power like a 10 or 20x Super sniper, good glass for the money

Do you want to shoot groups or are just hitting steel at distance?
Massmarks suggestion is good if you are not trying for groups. I would also suggest a Burris XTR 1-4

If you want to shoot groups, I would go with something with more power like a 10 or 20x Super sniper, good glass for the money

The Burris is a nice ride as well....

Thanks for the tips. Why a 1.5-4X20 instead of a 3-9X40? Also, if I do go longer, 300yds, will that work as well?

Nice scope the "Super Sniper" not so nice price :)

Thanks for the tips. Why a 1.5-4X20 instead of a 3-9X40? Also, if I do go longer, 300yds, will that work as well?

Nice scope the "Super Sniper" not so nice price :)

If you are shooting for groups, then more magnification will be better, especially if you are shooting off a rest. 1-4x are great for fast shots from 3-500 yards on multiple targets because of the huge field of view

Does anyone here use any of the Trijicon scopes? My FFL had one a few years back and it looked fairly good as I recall.

you may find that inside 300 yards, very high magnification 20X+ will be to strong. you will see every shake and movement through the scope. a 10X or 12x might be better. The best bet is to look through a few different scopes at the range and see what fits you the best

you may find that inside 300 yards, very high magnification 20X+ will be to strong. you will see every shake and movement through the scope. a 10X or 12x might be better. The best bet is to look through a few different scopes at the range and see what fits you the best

You'll also have to deal with parallax with the higher magnification scopes. Under 14x it isn't that much of an issue as most scopes are adjusted for 100-150 yards but going into the 20+ is where it becomes tricky. You'll most definitely want a scope that has adjustable objectives. A nice 3x12 or 4x16 may be the ticket for what you are trying to do. Burris makes a 4x16 that is in your price range and is a great piece of glass for the money.

I also have the Redfields and they are nice, I have a 3-9 on a Ruger 77/22 and the 4-12 on my Mossberg 800/308 and they are nice glass, rock solid, hold zero and don't break the bank. I'm not shooting competitively nor am I jumping over obstacles, and don't plan on it, but when I was at Hale Mtn. for an Appleseed and brought both of these along for late day shooting ,that damn steel pig at 500 was going ding quite often.

I'm actually looking for a scope for my AR. I'm strongly considering Konus M-30 scope. Fit the $300 budget. A few positive reviews. Worth a peek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NcSTAR makes a Mark III tactical scope, 4x32 Mildot. I bought one from FDF last night, for 90.00 and I havent brought it TO the range yet, but I am pretty excited about it. It has illumination and an adjustible range from 100 to 600 yards. Its already set up to quick mount on a picatinny rail, and from what I saw while reading the manual, I am really expecting that for my money, this scope will be really good for my AR. Its mildot crosshairs will work pretty good reflexively under 100 yards I would say.... Let you know over the weekend..

Till then look at this..

http://www.ncstar.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=31

Will you be shooting only of a bench and/or prone, or is offhand shooting in the cards also? I hate high magnification for offhand because it magnifies every movement enough to really bug me. I put a 1-4x Meopta on my AR that I just finished and I like it so far, but it's out of your price range. For a do everything scope, I think a 1-4 is the way to go. If you only want to punch paper with the gun well supported, you likely want more magnification.

The fixed SuperSnipers are right in your price range ($300). That's what I'd probably look at.

In your $ range:
Accurate shooting 100 to 300 yards get a super sniper 10x40 or a bushnell trophy 6-18
100 Yards accuracy get a Bushnell Trophy or SS 10x40 or a good red/green dot for faster aim and follow up
Under 100 yards your looking at a 3-9 or 4-12 or as was suggested a 4-32

There are a bunch of good scopes out there and what you want will totally depend on how you plan to shoot most of the time. The only advice I can give you that fits 100% of the time in my experience is to stay away from most of the chicom cheap crap. It's cheap because that what it's intended to be and it is reflected in the use of the scope.

I use a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 with triangle post it is very nice.

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=672&back_row=0&categoryID=5

+ 1 on this gear. The triangle reticle uses no batteries (big plus) and works just like a battery powered red dot with both eyes open. With a small movement of the head you're looking through the scope, using at as you normally would. There is a little technique to this - but nothing special. I would highly recommend a Larue SPR-E to mount the scope (on a A3 style upper). This set up is a little pricey but first class. The Trijicon has great glass and the Larue is strong and solid. Note that a lot of big game hunters use this scope on dangerous game. It's fast and rugged.

I've heard the millet dms-1 is good for the money. It has an illuminated reticle if you are looking for that. It's 1x-4x, so you can still use it at closer ranges too.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=186660

I was a HUGE fan of the Millett DMS...Until I ran it hard one day and it went TU... Perhaps mine was an anomaly - I had read so many positive reviews on them, it made sense to buy one - especially for the money. Three weeks later during a carbine course, my reticle slowly moved to 8pm. It was then I realized that if I was going to really run this rifle, (I mean run it hard), I needed to bide my time and invest in a quality piece of glass. I saved and sacrificed - even sold a few things and got this:

http://swfa.com/Leupold-15-5x20-Mark-4-MRT-30mm-Riflescope-P45043.aspx

All I can say is: WOW! I just sighted it in today - what a superb piece of technology. I think at least in my experience, if you're going to run a Millett DMS on the static range you'll be just fine and I cannot discount my negative experience as a fluke, but in that experience, running the Millett beyond the static range was not good juju...

LaRue Tactical LT-104 by far the best scope mount I ever owned. This mount alone really helped my cheap scope stay zero'd. I have a dozen or so of sub 200.00 scopes. They all seem to find themselves back on the shelf.
Currently I have a older VX leupold scope found @ a yard sale for 25.00 atop my flat top. It shows some use but functions fine for me for now. Until I decide to hunker down and make the plunge to shoot enough @ 100+ to purchase a VG scope. I have looked through some glass recently Z5 swarovski scope (1200ish) I was pretty impressed. My friends dad just got it for his nosler custom 300 WSM. Very clear and clasic crosshair.
It did not take me long to relaize there just isnt a GOOD scope for cheap money. Cheap scopes that do the job for plinking yes.

It did not take me long to relaize there just isnt a GOOD scope for cheap money. Cheap scopes that do the job for plinking yes.

The Super Snipers and the Bushnell Elite 3200s will both take the pounding from a .50 with little effort.

funny thing is, I have better luck with the ultra cheap scopes <100.00. I have since gone back to iron sights for all but 2 guns.
My glenfield 25 .22 bolt wich has a GAMO scope. My 22cal AR upper(no front sight) old tasco red dot. By the way has been my longest lasting cheap scope.

you want cheap try famous maker and vision plus scopes can be had for 20-100. My problem is eye relief and the hieght of the scopes on an AR.

Back
Top Bottom