Scope for .44 mag Henry rifle?

rep308

NES Member
I've made the decision to get a .44 mag lever action rifle from Henry, thanks to all in the Lever Gun thread. Given the state of my vision, I need optics, iron sites don't work for me anymore. I was thinking a 4x scope, I'm overly price sensitive. A quick look at ballistic charts have me thinking that I should get an optic designed for a shotgun, given the similar profile of a .44 mag rifle and 20 gauge slug. What says the smarter people here? I'm open to any and all suggestions. I'll be hand loading the .44 mag toward the high side.

I put this on my BigBoyX 44M:

Not that it is good or bad; I had it as leftover from a different project. So far at the range it's been great.

Using the Henry double-ring mount

Attachments

• IMG_1143.JPG
    IMG_1143.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 69532854644__3F23CDF2-75F6-43B7-9229-ADA181210E7C.JPG
    69532854644__3F23CDF2-75F6-43B7-9229-ADA181210E7C.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
you may want to also add a hammer extension as when you add the scope, there isn't much room for your thumb :)

I've not heard of the Skinner sights but as my rifle is an X 'tacticool' (sorta), I think the scope very much 'works' (looks great)
but I can see on brass receivers etc, it'd look out of place.

Last edited:
This for bench work? or woods work? Skinners here on my lever actions thus far. For me the Marlin 336 seems to be the only one that doesn’t look out of place with a simple scope on.

For a 44mag I would do a fixed 3x or 4x. Something quick. But it would be a 50-75yd woods gun for me.

I've made the decision to get a .44 mag lever action rifle from Henry, thanks to all in the Lever Gun thread. Given the state of my vision, I need optics, iron sites don't work for me anymore. I was thinking a 4x scope, I'm overly price sensitive. A quick look at ballistic charts have me thinking that I should get an optic designed for a shotgun, given the similar profile of a .44 mag rifle and 20 gauge slug. What says the smarter people here? I'm open to any and all suggestions. I'll be hand loading the .44 mag toward the high side.
Good choice with Henry.

For scopes, I like illuminated LPVO scopes.
I have one on a Henry, a Vortex 1-6-24.

The reason is, I like to use it for quick target acquisition, that is my need. A 2x, 4x ... would be way too annoying for that.

Why do you want a 4x?
How far will you be shooting?

Last edited:
Good choice with Henry.

For scopes, I like illuminated 1x scopes.
I have one on a Henry, a Vortex 1-6-24.

The reason is, I like to use it for quick target acquisition, that is my need. A 2x, 4x ... would be way too annoying for that.

Why do you want a 4x?
How far will you be shooting?
I don't know what I want, this looks like a good suggestion, I'm looking for a woods gun with 100 yd max maybe 150. I will check this out

My vision is also not what it used to be, but I really dislike the look of a scope on a lever action. Lately, I've been using a Skinner receiver sight. It works great and it's about the cost of a cheap scope.
Same here. I just can't scope a level gun. It's like wearing a baseball cap with a suit.

Primary arms is having a 12 pct off sale right now. Picked up this scope for 199
On closeout from 329.
Minus 12 pct was 174. Shipped free.

Eta. Agree . To much scope for bears at 100 yds. Mines goin on a full size modern sporting rifle for the range.

I don't know what I want, this looks like a good suggestion, I'm looking for a woods gun with 100 yd max maybe 150. I will check this out
I don't know how people quickly acquire targets in the woods with a 4x scope.

If people can do it, that is amazing.

I always suggest this, I am not someone that likes to return products, but I make an exception for scopes.

Order a couple of scopes from Amazon and try them out. Return the one you don't like.

I put this on my BigBoyX 44M:

Not that it is good or bad; I had it as leftover from a different project. So far at the range it's been great.

Using the Henry double-ring mount
Jesus that’s a lot of scope for that rifle 😂
See the moon with that thing lol
I got a Leupold VX-3i 1.75-6x32 on my Henry all weather 44. PLENTY of scope for deer hunting and at the range. Honestly I think I could get away with a Leupold 1.5-5x20 like I have on my AR
B40D7EA4-0967-48CC-896C-12CB195FEC41.jpeg

My vision is also not what it used to be, but I really dislike the look of a scope on a lever action. Lately, I've been using a Skinner receiver sight. It works great and it's about the cost of a cheap scope.
I got a skinner peep sight on mine which works great. If I didn’t use my Henry 44 for deer hunting I wouldn’t even have a scope on it

Same here. I just can't scope a level gun. It's like wearing a baseball cap with a suit.
If the persons eyes are good, peep sights are amazing.

I can acquire targets faster and I am more accurate with my Sharps Soule sights than with a scope. But my vision is perfect.

I never used the Soule sight in the woods with low light.

Then I tried an illuminated 1-6-x24 scopes and fell in love with that. It is like having a red dot, with the added bonus I can zoom in if I want to.

I love it.

If the persons eyes are good, peep sights are amazing.

I can acquire targets faster and I am more accurate with my Sharps Soule sights than with a scope. But my vision is perfect.

I never used the Soule sight in the woods with low light.

Then I tried an illuminated 1-6-x24 scopes and fell in love with that. It is like having a red dot, with the added bonus I can zoom in if I want to.

I love it.
OK Quiggly!

Skinner peep user here as well. And I wear progressive glasses. And I have a lazy eye. If I can be happy with the peep, anyone can.

The Skinner looks great on a lever and is functional. I'm dinging 8inch steel at 100yds with my 357 lever.
This is what i have on my Leverguns. Peep is way better than the iron sights, and its yucky to have a scope on a levergun.

Primary arms is having a 12 pct off sale right now. Picked up this scope for 199
On closeout from 329.
Minus 12 pct was 174. Shipped free.

Eta. Agree . To much scope for bears at 100 yds. Mines goin on a full size modern sporting rifle for the range.
That;s like a Sniper scope to be used with bolt guns that go out to 1K yards

44mag is like 150 yard gun.

If your gonna scope it, small profile 1.5-5X would be ideal.

Back
Top Bottom