• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scope for 10-22

I've got a Simmons .22 Mag with an adjustable objective on a 10/22 that does wonderful. My wife plinks away at the 25 & 50 yard ranges making some impressive groups with it.

My suggestion is if your going to hunt rabbit and squirrel get a shotgun. In zones 10 - 14 you can't use a rifle on squirrel anyway......shotgun only. And rabbits......fhey are f***ing FAST! . You'll be more successful with a shotgun anyway. I hunt squirrel......alot.......and the shotgun is my go to gun. 12 gauge size 4 high brass full choke. Will reach the top.of any tree in new england......if shots are in closer than 20 yards just lead off and hit em with the fringe.
Thanks for the tip, makes sense. I’ve never hunted before and I want to give it a try with the gear I have before I get something else. Not totally sure I’ll want to do a lot more. I sold my only shotgun a few years ago actually.

Just kind of wondering, is hunting squirrel or rabbit with a .22 uncommon? Also, I live in the Connecticut valley which I believe is zone 4?

Thanks for the tip, makes sense. I’ve never hunted before and I want to give it a try with the gear I have before I get something else. Not totally sure I’ll want to do a lot more. I sold my only shotgun a few years ago actually.

Just kind of wondering, is hunting squirrel or rabbit with a .22 uncommon? Also, I live in the Connecticut valley which I believe is zone 4?
just about everything small- varmit, critter and such has been hunted with a 22.
I have hunted squirrels- mostly red squirrels with 22s along with anything that roamed the landfill pile. Its nice if you can shoot from a fixed position. Shotgun increases your odds especially when your on the move and so is the game.
I use a 22 cal pellet gun pest and garden defense here at home

Using a 22 is common for squirrels but less common on rabbits. Squirrels come out in the open on their own and can be hit by a 22 with a little patience. Rabbits are generally in the thickest thickets and have to be "driven" out in the open and are fast moving targets so are more often hunted with a shotgun. Rabbits can be found on field edges in the open early morning and just before sunset for some 22lr hits but most of the time they are in the deep brush.

Back
Top Bottom