Scope crosshairs don't remain vertial

I just bought my first scope for my 10/22 yesterday. It is a BSA 3-9x40 at BassPro in Foxborough. They mounted and bore sighted it for free.

http://www.bsaoptics.com/scope.aspx?product=77

So I bring it to the range today, setup and start trying to sight it in at 50 yrds. I adjust for elevation and windage, as I've read and seen on various youtube videos, and things start to look pretty good. I'm getting nice grouping very close to center target.

However, after about 25 rounds I notice the crosshairs are not vertical any more. After another 10 shots the crosshairs are now totally diagonal in my scope. The scope housing itself does not appear to have moved at all. Shots still appear to hit close to center target and it looks to me that the crosshairs are literally spinning fractionally counter-clockwise with each recoil.

I'm fairly new to scopes but even I can tell something is totally F***ed up here. I plan on returning this scope tomorrow assuming it is defective. Has anyone seen or heard of this before?

I'm going to swear off of cheap scopes one of these days...

I have actually had exceptionally good experience with the Tasco World Class 3-9x40, the first scope I bought. It is sharp and bright, all the way across the field of view, and I've shot thousands of rounds of .223 with it.

That was the exception though all of the other cheap scopes I have bought have either looked distorted at the edges, been too narrow a field of view,looked dim or yellowed, or have broken after firing a small number of shots. Stay away from NCStar.

I have had [STRIKE]cheap[/STRIKE] inexpensive scopes all my life and have NEVER had a problem with any one of them. I have friends with the same types of scopes and never heard of them having any trouble either. I suppose the chances are somewhat greater at having trouble with the inexpensive ones than the pricey ones, it just goes with the territory I guess. Definitely bring it back and have them rectify the situation. On a 22 cal. almost any scope should stand up, don't let them tell you the you have to spend more for a "better" one if you don't want to. IMO. Good luck.​

Last edited:

OK. OK. I expected to be beaten by posting this but figured what the hell. I'm new at this.

I spent around $100 for scope and rings for my 22. I figure what the hell. I mean it is for a 22 that itself only cost little more than $200.

What is the minimum a person should spend on a scope to have a sense of buying something decent?

Until you can afford a good quality scope.
dog-with-strange-head-tilt.jpg

bring it back, have them re-level the scope, put blue loctite on all the threads, tighten, keep tight, shoot have fun, check tightness occasionally.

Check the scope tube where the rear adustable power ring is. I have had scopes that spin here causinf the cross hairs to spin as well. The scope dosnt move in the rings, it is part of the scope wher the actual cross hairs are that is spinning. look through the scope and adjust the power and see if the cross hairs spin as well. If they do the scope is junk, It will never hold a zero.

Check the scope tube where the rear adustable power ring is. I have had scopes that spin here causinf the cross hairs to spin as well. The scope dosnt move in the rings, it is part of the scope wher the actual cross hairs are that is spinning. look through the scope and adjust the power and see if the cross hairs spin as well. If they do the scope is junk, It will never hold a zero.

Thanks for the helpful feedback hunter46spring. The scope is junk. I'm going to return it and get something better. Although besides looking at the price to decide I do not know what that will be yet. I have not seen a scope rating system. [grin]

I just had my $40.00 3x9 Bushnell scope self destruct while on my Mini-30 at the range Saturday. It had been OK for about 200 rounds when suddenly I couldn't see anything through the scope. Further examination showed that the internal lenses just came loose or shattered and were rattling around in the tube! I guess it should have stayed on my 22!

Thanks for the helpful feedback hunter46spring. The scope is junk. I'm going to return it and get something better. Although besides looking at the price to decide I do not know what that will be yet. I have not seen a scope rating system. [grin]

NP[wink] I have learned to try to buy the best optics I can afford after many times dealing with little PIA things like that

Back
Top Bottom