• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scituate R&G Club closed temporarily due to safety concerns

I've read this thread and I just want to say thanks to Chuck Would for sticking up for us down here. The incident took place at a controlled "pin shoot". We have a no sky set up and 20+ft berms. Thats why it may have come from the 50 yard range. Its the only way but may not have come from the range at all. Get it Terra? If not pm me and I will explain it to you. The investigation seemed to stop when the neighbor found the bullet and called police back to the scene. Thats right the police left and then returned to the home when the homeowner found the bullet. Top notch police work.

Anyway court date is set for 1/29 for a TRO. Neighbors tried to talk the town into filing and they said no way now they are going at it themselves.

G thanks for sticking up for us guys.

You may want to brush up on your reading comprehension. I was on your club's side. I said in all of my posts here:
  • Your club president did something stupid by even accepting the round came from any of the ranges and even speculating about a particular way it could have.
  • That as the info leaked out, it was becoming more and more likely this was a salting. Salting is defined as people who hate guns planting the round to cause harm to people who did nothing wrong.
  • I was calling for a competent investigation because I want the people who did the salting to get burned. Not because I wanted to burn your club, although your club president lit the fire and stoked it pretty good.
In addition, what you posted does a lot to confirm my suspicions. The cops came, didn't find the round and were called back when the homeowner found it? I wonder if the homeowner knew where to look??? [rolleyes]

Also Chuck didn't stick up for the club, but the club president. We stuck up for the club as everyone here knows how easy it is for people to pull this crap and don't want our clubs the subject of a 21st century witch hunt. We all knew the likelihood of this actually being a ricochet from a pin shoot was low and hence why we called BS pretty early on.

There has to be more to this story if the town is not trying to stick it to the club. By now the investigation has to be well along and some conclusions should have been reached. I wonder if those are that there are suspicious circumstances here. Otherwise the local tools, er... politicians, would have gone after the club.

If the club did anything wrong it might have been to agree too early that the round came from the club.

Agreed wholeheartedly. They were playing defense without a keeper from the second the guy opened his mouth.

You may want to brush up on your reading comprehension. I was on your club's side. I said in all of my posts here:
  • Your club president did something stupid by even accepting the round came from any of the ranges and even speculating about a particular way it could have.
  • That as the info leaked out, it was becoming more and more likely this was a salting. Salting is defined as people who hate guns planting the round to cause harm to people who did nothing wrong.
  • I was calling for a competent investigation because I want the people who did the salting to get burned. Not because I wanted to burn your club, although your club president lit the fire and stoked it pretty good.
In addition, what you posted does a lot to confirm my suspicions. The cops came, didn't find the round and were called back when the homeowner found it? I wonder if the homeowner knew where to look??? [rolleyes]

Also Chuck didn't stick up for the club, but the club president. We stuck up for the club as everyone here knows how easy it is for people to pull this crap and don't want our clubs the subject of a 21st century witch hunt. We all knew the likelihood of this actually being a ricochet from a pin shoot was low and hence why we called BS pretty early on.

There has to be more to this story if the town is not trying to stick it to the club. By now the investigation has to be well along and some conclusions should have been reached. I wonder if those are that there are suspicious circumstances here. Otherwise the local tools, er... politicians, would have gone after the club.

Agreed wholeheartedly. They were playing defense without a keeper from the second the guy opened his mouth.

You must be a lawyer. How much do you charge an hour? Please write it in numbers so I can comprehend it. Thanks.

Well, that's kind of jerky.

It's YOUR club's toes in the fire. Don't be so paranoid. Not everyone is out to get you.

I love forums. Everyone can sit at a desk and say how they would have done something better. Im not paranoid. Im annoyed. This is not a newspaper article to us it is really going on. Who would you listen to? Some guy on a forum or your club president who has been a defense attorney for 30 years? I vote for the guy who does this for a living. My post was a response to the "You may want to brush up on your reading comprehension" comment. I thought it was funny. [rofl] <---See you can tell because of the emoticon I used. HA. No hard feelings.

I just saw this, Hopefully they can get it all straightened out and open back up.

IMO, if they're that irresponsible maybe they don't deserve to be allowed to open back up. They need higher backstops or something. Until they put proper safety features in, they should stay closed.

Bullets hitting homes near ranges is not news here in CT.

There is an old-line, well known range called "Blue Trail Range" in Wallingford, CT. I'd recommend that you all read this link, here to understand what's happened here and is going to happen at the range you're talking about:

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/site/tab1.cfm?newsid=19747739&BRD=2755&PAG=461&dept_id=592709&rfi=6

Now, understand that this range is one one side of a low mountain. The other side has homes nestled close to the forest on that mountain. Neighbors began complaining about bullets hitting their homes. The BTR was immediately suspected and voila! Huge firestorm or recriminations and political posturing. Even though it's known that some idiots are shooting in the forests on the home's side of the mountain and that they may, in fact, be responsible for the hits, BTR has to jump through many legal hoops, get multiple studies done, and it continues to this day. Bullets can NOT turn in mid flight and fly down and then continue horizontall but that's what these homeowners and their liberal-gun-hating rep want you to believe. It's a freakin mess. In one TV interview, one homeowner actually had empties in her hand showing the interviewer. Duh!

Think it can't/won't happen to your club? I can and will when someone gets pissed enough.

In NH, I shoot at a range with a buddy from Keene. It's out in the middle of nowhere yet a farmer was standing next to his tractor, a full 2 miles from the range when a 7.62 round punctured his tire, a foot away from where he was standing. It was finally determined that the round did escape from the range but the range was closed at the time and some jerkbrain was using it illegally and most probably rapid firing an ak or sks or something like that. Their muzzle just went too high and the round cleared the property. Luckily they were able to resolve that issue with better security but stuff like that can happen anywhere.

I can tell you that our club here in Northern CT is taking a hard look at things and making minor changes to ensure safety. Being proactive will all but eliminate this type of thing from happening.

It's really easy for a homeowner adjacent to a rifle or pistol range to conclude that bullets are coming from the range when, in reality, they may be coming from somewhere else entirely. But, the press and certainly the politicians are going to place the blame squarely on the range in question. If you can show that you have taken the proper steps to eliminate errant shots, you'll be the better for it.

Blue Trail Range will never be the same. They're still open but it's going to be a long haul and they are going to have to become extremely strict. It won't be much fun.

Rome
Northern CT

Back
Top Bottom