• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Schumer Proposes Gun Ban for Drug Test Failure

Arizona Shooting Prompts Schumer to Push for Military to Report Applicants' Drug Use to Prevent Gun Purchases
January 16, 2011

WASHINGTON -- If someone admits to a federal official that he's used illegal drugs, that information should be sent to the FBI so that person can be disqualified from purchasing a gun, Sen. Chuck Schumer said Sunday.

Noting that the alleged shooter in the Tucson massacre had admitted to military recruiters that he had used drugs on several occasions, Schumer said he is proposing to the Justice Department and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives that the military be required to notify federal officials about such admissions. The New York Democrat said such a process does not require new legislation.

READ MORE

Last edited:
Yet it doesnt disqualify someone from being president. For example the last three presidents. If i am not mistaken they all held the nuclear football, the ultimate EDC.

yea. Moonbat alert!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...rt-applicants-drug-use-prevent-gun-purchases/

Then here is a quote from Ed Rendell, Gov of PA:

Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell said Sunday that a citizen protecting his home or hunting doesn't need a gun with 33 bullets per clip. "I think the nation's spirits would be lifted if the Congress acted quickly with the president and reinstated the assault weapons ban which also had the ban on these large magazines, these clips that carried 30-plus bullets," he said.

Rendell, speaking on CBS' "Meet the Press," added that had Loughner earlier been classified as having mental illness, he would never have gotten a gun under provisions established in existing gun control laws.

"Had this man been classified, had he been committed civilly at any time prior to his purchasing the gun from Wal-Mart, he would have in fact been denied access to that firearm," Rendell told "Face the Nation."

If Schumer introduces a bill for this, how about if someone tacks on a provision that welfare and public housing recipients pass drug screenings?

"I think the nation's spirits would be lifted if the Congress acted quickly with the president and reinstated the assault weapons ban

I think the nation would get really angry if they did.

If Schumer introduces a bill for this, how about if someone tacks on a provision that welfare and public housing recipients pass drug screenings?

How about we not try to justify ANY of these attempts at gun control.

Isn't that question #5 on the 4473 form?

I think the question is phrased as 'are you currently taking any illegal drugs' not 'have you taken any drugs'. A lot of people have tried drugs, id be willing to wager its tipped the 50% margin, its just another way for them to keep guns out of the hands of the people they have to answer to.

As a side note, Obama knows that anti-gun legislation is his waterloo. He won't touch it. His base is 98% black (13% of the population), and a 100% of the loonie left (20% of the population). You can't get re-elected with 33% of the population. The White Independents are leaving him to rot. He has real re-election issues. Gun control is something he will avoid at all cost. It's a loose-loose situation for him.

So should that list include President Obama? And former Presidents Bush II and Clinton? They've all used drugs too. Should they get put on your special list?

...and I wonder how many firearm crimes are caused by alcohol? Shouldn't Schumer also add to the bill that anyone that has ever drank alcohol should be banned from owning firearms as well?

I think the question is phrased as 'are you currently taking any illegal drugs' not 'have you taken any drugs'.
http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473.pdf

"e. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?"

Anyone undergoing chronic pain treatment using approved pharmaceuticals is probably addicted, yet they won't be prosecuted for falsely answering "NO".

Since marijuana is not addictive, the only way a marijuana user could accurately answer "YES" is to be puffing a spliff while filling out the form.

Schumer also favors banning gun ownership for anyone who walks upright.

He'll take smaller victories at any opportunity.

This. Like most of the anti's, his philosophy is to take what you can when you can and go after the rest later. (Insert boiling frog and camel's nose analogies here)

"Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell said Sunday that a citizen protecting his home or hunting doesn't need a gun with 33 bullets per clip.
"

This guy is a seer, obviously. Wonder if he thinks we don't need microwaves to cook food, and so we should not have them because of the insanely-minimal risk of microwave-radiation exposure?

What the guy thinks we need or want is none of his bloody business. I think we all should be allowed to look through that guy's home and decide for him what we think he needs, and be able to confiscate it without compensation and destroy it in front of his very eyes.

Then shove the Declaration of Independence up his ass.

"Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell said Sunday that a citizen protecting his home or hunting doesn't need a gun with 33 bullets per clip.
"

This guy is a seer, obviously. Wonder if he thinks we don't need microwaves to cook food, and so we should not have them because of the insanely-minimal risk of microwave-radiation exposure?

What the guy thinks we need or want is none of his bloody business. I think we all should be allowed to look through that guy's home and decide for him what we think he needs, and be able to confiscate it without compensation and destroy it in front of his very eyes.

Then shove the Declaration of Independence up his ass.

If the argument is that citizens don't need 33 rd mags, then it must follow that cops don't either....since the purpose is the same....self defense.

Are the thugs that citizens encounter, less dangerous than those cops deal with?

It seems the issue has always been that law enforcement (and the law abiding) are outgunned by their adversaries.

You only come to the wrong conclusions, if you believe firearms in the hands of civilians are to there for the purpose of posing a threat to society.

guys dont forget that the police are more responsible then us and always better at shooting.

oh, wait.

That might have some significant repercussions when it comes to DoD recruiting. There are a LOT of servicemembers that got a drug waiver to enlist.

That might have some significant repercussions when it comes to DoD recruiting. There are a LOT of servicemembers that got a drug waiver to enlist.

This will just create another reason for the recruiter to caution applicants on the way to MEPS that admitting to drug use to the career counsellor is a bad idea.

My recruiter told me the Navy was filled with liars and waivers.

This will just create another reason for the recruiter to caution applicants on the way to MEPS that admitting to drug use to the career counsellor is a bad idea.

I was told otherwise, and it worked out in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom