Schools This Fall

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Have a 2nd grader and a kindergartner starting this morning. We're 30 minutes into it and it sounds like we have one teacher who doesn't understand how Zoom works. In the other room we have a teacher who knows what she's doing but a classroom full of kids opening up their district-issued chromebooks for the first time and dealing with all sorts of technical issues. It's going to be a long year.

My kid in K has the whole world figured out, and he's been pumped up to start school for the past few months. The teacher was just sort of warming the class up with some Simon says and rhyming stuff. She made the mistake of pausing to take a breath and he says "when does real school start?" I hope she figures out how to mute the whole class soon.

xtry51

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Have a 2nd grader and a kindergartner starting this morning. We're 30 minutes into it and it sounds like we have one teacher who doesn't understand how Zoom works. In the other room we have a teacher who knows what she's doing but a classroom full of kids opening up their district-issued chromebooks for the first time and dealing with all sorts of technical issues. It's going to be a long year.

My kid in K has the whole world figured out, and he's been pumped up to start school for the past few months. The teacher was just sort of warming the class up with some Simon says and rhyming stuff. She made the mistake of pausing to take a breath and he says "when does real school start?" I hope she figures out how to mute the whole class soon.
Never underestimate the truthfulness of kids.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
District didn't have enough teachers that would actually go back to school and teach so we are full remote.

Apparently they have plenty of coaches for sports. Literally hundreds of kids at the school every afternoon.
Soccer, cross country, field hockey and football.

je25ff

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
My twins are doing 100% remote and then 'hybrid' in October where they do 3 days remote and 2 days physically in school. Thankfully, it's a new school system that has their shit together and the teacher actually is on video the entire day teaching. Last semester it was maybe 30 minutes of video and a lesson plan basically making me the teacher, so I was working remote and teaching at the same time. My BP was through the roof.

I would wager that once they go back to school, ONE person will test positive and it will go back to 100% remote.

AFVet

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My granddaughter wants to go back to school physically, she can't stand the online, says that it is "insanely boring". I told her early this morning that i was going to line up bb and airsoft guns on her wall behind were she will be sitting, she said omg grampa your going to get me kicked out...lol

ASHDUMP

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The remote online learning has to be really hard on the young kids. I think there are a lot of pop up places providing some kind of morning or afternoon care/activities for kids. For instance, I heard Forekicks was providing something for the kids who are half day. Same with a hockey rink program where they have class rooms set up, kids do activities and other stuff.... Its amazing how the schools are shutdown but private entities are open to fill the gaps. What a cluster F.

ps, I'm OK with private companies filling the gaps.

Last edited:

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I've run into a few people here in town with kids in kindergarten who decided that they're doing the private thing (either private school or some sort of tutor/teacher arrangement) this year because there's zero chance of the kid being able to sit still for online stuff. I'm starting to wish I had done that.

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I've run into a few people here in town with kids in kindergarten who decided that they're doing the private thing (either private school or some sort of tutor/teacher arrangement) this year because there's zero chance of the kid being able to sit still for online stuff. I'm starting to wish I had done that.
One of our neighboor's wife quit her job because their private school was switching to remote learning. They figured homeschooling would be a better choice. If we only had same choice with public schools, defund a**h***s if they don't want to work. This "remote" is pure bullshit and I can only see these shitheads gearing up for more of it. It's going to be a tough uphill battle to get back to shitty public ed we used to have.

Network was out at least once today, fan times. I'm just glad that Fram system gave all kids a chromebook so at least I don't have to deal with bitching about hardware, only network. If shit don't work, talk to the gd damned teacher about it. I hate being f***ing IT home guy.

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
One of our neighboor's wife quit her job because their private school was switching to remote learning. They figured homeschooling would be a better choice. If we only had same choice with public schools, defund a**h***s if they don't want to work. This "remote" is pure bullshit and I can only see these shitheads gearing up for more of it. It's going to be a tough uphill battle to get back to shitty public ed we used to have.

Network was out at least once today, fan times. I'm just glad that Fram system gave all kids a chromebook so at least I don't have to deal with bitching about hardware, only network. If shit don't work, talk to the gd damned teacher about it. I hate being f***ing IT home guy.
So much yes.

My wife was checking out the school's (i.e. individual teachers') pages last night. I'm making dinner and she says "what's the deal with the Milwaukee Bucks?" I ask her WTF she's talking about. Apparently each teacher (classes, but also gym, art, etc) can name their page and put up a little banner at the top with whatever interests them. Some had a montage Boston sports teams logos, some had other stuff they like, but a whole bunch of them had Milwaukee Bucks logos in theirs. The gym teacher, for example, had a big Bucks picture across the screen and had named his page "Bucks Phys Ed" or something. I had no idea but suspected some SJW bullshit so I googled it and learned that the Bucks were that first team that boycotted the game out of protest against cops or america or white people or something. I told my wife and she spent the rest of the night talking about yanking them and sending them to private school, which would have the side benefit of freeing us up to move to a much bigger house in a neighboring town.

I know we're going to have to keep an eye on this bullshit and interrogate our kids at the end of the day. My own SIL is a teacher at a well known private school in the Boston area and she's on record as saying "I wish I could teach every kid about systemic racism and white privilege," so the shit is everywhere.

Rye

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st and 5th grader here. We took the time to establish connections well in advance of the classes starting. We knew the first week would be working kinks out with connectivity with the masses. The only negative I noticed was that teachers who were recording videos were talking way too low for the kids to discern what they were saying. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt given it's all new. But my patience will have a limit.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I have hard time believing anything media or .gov pushes out, especially with constant scandals on testing standards etc. At this point the show must go on regardless what the new facts are. It's all about politics and control and not about health or public safety.

Fram is starting school tomorrow ... that's it today, since it's 1am. f***ing useless a**h***s. If public ed could not get any more of a joke ... we got 2020 version. \

You know how they used to burn witches to mitigate some epidemics of desease? I almost guarantee you that burning some politicians would actually solve the Wu Flu problem.
It's not a matter of believing them one way or another. Charlie went from "flatten the curve" to "no more cases ever!" Well, that's not reality. Missouri has around 5x as many cases per day as mASS. Even after a full year, they'll still only have 9% infection rate. Big deal!

Charlie isn't lying. He just moved the goalposts three fields over.

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Fram school sent out a mailer claiming that parents need to sign off on the responsibility to control kids behavior while at home. So basically 99% of public ed (i.e. babysitting) they want to do away with. I understand why, because they have established that school is going to be remote and given that , we need figure out the rest based on that assumption. The reality is, "remote learning" does not work based on that factor alone, not for parents anyway.

They are playing scavenger hunt, how many clocks you have in the house, how many TVs ... thank Gd they are not asking about guns, that would be a loooong hunt.

• Haha
Reactions: TLB

Climbnsink

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Faker is up to 50 rona decrees. And we have double the death rate of Sweden(who by the way did all their rona management with their legislature.)

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
First day remote today.

Thank God I teach high school. I could never deal with younger grades this way. My first grader is back home learning, and my wife is teaching remotely from home with him. She says his teacher has a good handle on the zoom thing; she's not easy to impress, so that's good. Like in-person schooling, your kids' educational experiences are going to vary based on the competence of the teacher. This remote environment just gives so many more ways to separate the men from the boys.

I feel like I can pull it off, but then again I want to make an effort to make it work. Not all my colleagues do.

LuvDog

NES Member
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
So far 2 days of remote learning and my kid was done and back online gaming by 10AM. Today was a professional/personal development day, so no teaching at all. Tomorrow starts in person learning. I sure hope he actually gets taught something

ASHDUMP

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So far 2 days of remote learning and my kid was done and back online gaming by 10AM. Today was a professional/personal development day, so no teaching at all. Tomorrow starts in person learning. I sure hope he actually gets taught something
That's unreal.... Delay the school year by two weeks then give the teachers a professional day? Oh my.....

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
That's unreal.... Delay the school year by two weeks then give the teachers a professional day? Oh my.....
This weekend I found myself sitting near some woman who was apparently a teacher. We were all sort of sitting around waiting for the speaker or whatever and she’s talking to her friend about having to teach remotely and sit at a computer all day. She basically said she feels like an office worker, how can they do that all day, what’s the f***ing point of your job if there aren’t kids there, your job isn’t even real or meaningful because there aren’t kids, etc. She actually thought she was doing god’s work every day because she was a teacher, and us office workers are wasting our lives doing imaginary stuff. That’s the mindset of some of these people.

Climbnsink

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kid's back to school powerpoint was at least half active shooter stuff. At least the virus hoax was somewhat novel, back to wind up toys with mommies gun and timelines that don't make sense.

ASHDUMP

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I know the media cherry picks stories and interviews but lately they keep finding kids [primarily of color - if that even matters] telling the beat reporter how they are not safe at school and not going.

I cant believe how brainwashed these kids are. This is years and years of indoctrination. All us normal citizens [white, black, brown & purple] fell asleep at the wheel.

Wow.

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Remote learning sucks major ass if you’re dealing with little kids.
My wife has been an absolute joy to deal with after school every day trying to wrangle my 6YO.

We are now onto the 7th day of class today, and my daughter is almost up to a full day of sitting through the class. Its a constant battle though, and my wife has to sit with her the entire time, so shes a prisoner. They are working to get her into the school, as she has learning differences, and its obvious to everyone that this isnt going to work for us. It can't happen soon enough.

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
My wife has been an absolute joy to deal with after school every day trying to wrangle my 6YO.

We are now onto the 7th day of class today, and my daughter is almost up to a full day of sitting through the class. Its a constant battle though, and my wife has to sit with her the entire time, so shes a prisoner. They are working to get her into the school, as she has learning differences, and its obvious to everyone that this isnt going to work for us. It can't happen soon enough.
[laugh] Yeah, my wife too. It's like semi-permanent PMS. It will be a miracle if she/we aren't medicated before next summer.

As she put it yesterday, after emerging from a grueling 30 minute session of hovering over my 5 year old, hiding just off camera, "this is the worst thing that's ever happened to me."

Kindergarten and 1st grade aged kids are not built for remote learning. They need the socialization and forced discomfort of being dropped into a strange classroom. They need the teacher seeing their furtive movements out of the corner of their eye. 90% of the teacher's job is herding them and trying to keep them focused but in a remote learning situation that job falls squarely on the parent(s). It truly sucks.

Top Bottom