Schools This Fall

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I think the teachers are supposed to be around as well. But it isn't like there is 5 hours of lecture every day for 7th grade. Even with multiple teachers, we're talking maybe an hour to 90 min of interaction.

To be fair, my son does fine working at home. I just think this is a waste of his time and he will get nothing additional out of it.

xtry51

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My youngest (13) is doing full remote VLACS. We're building a trebuchet for physics class. He started all his freshman year classes two weeks ago and will likely finish his freshman year by Jan.

My middle (15yo son) is doing the 2days a week in class. He hasn't even started school yet. I bet my youngest learns more this year from school than my middle.

Either way I'll keep them busy and learning myself. They've already learned more this year mostly out of school than ever before.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0

lancecolonel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Excellent.

Next stop, Sharon. My union and its homies are about to find out that when you go waving your Covid boner in everyone else's face, you better be prepared when someone calls your bluff.
Andover teachers union has been....um...."special" for a long time. I remember a huge row over some pro Palestine thing a while back. Eagle Tribune out of lawrence was always printing stories about something andover was upset about.

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Today was day 1 for remote learning for my first grade daughter. Total and utter failure. After two hours sitting in front of the computer, she flat out refused to go back inside after the break was over. We knew this was going to be a problem. We may end up withdrawing her and going the home school route this year.

Medicine Man

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Excellent.

Next stop, Sharon. My union and its homies are about to find out that when you go waving your Covid boner in everyone else's face, you better be prepared when someone calls your bluff.
Sooo wish I could offer some comments. But at this point people are going to figure out who I am and subsequently who my wife is and that could be bad for her. I will say, it’s not the teachers, it’s the union.

EMTDAD

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yesterday, our district gave a big 🖕 to teachers who were hoping to have their kids go back full time. Basically said it was unfair to all the other essential workers both in and outside the school system who have to figure it all out too.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Yesterday, our district gave a big 🖕 to teachers who were hoping to have their kids go back full time. Basically said it was unfair to all the other essential workers both in and outside the school system who have to figure it all out too.
I'm going into negotiations in a couple hours. Not that I'm saying much; I'm just there in case a vote needs to be taken. And as I predicted to my eboard, we should not be surprised that our school committee is not in the mood for further shenanigans. We're down to just one more item we're going to try to negotiate, the school committee having shot down the other seven.

You reap what you sow, and my harder-core union buddies are learning that now. @Medicine Man, I'm sure your wife is having a WONDERFUL week... :rolleyes:

2020 is going to be a massive long-term loss for the teachers' unions. I'm mostly ecstatic about that.

Medicine Man

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm going into negotiations in a couple hours. Not that I'm saying much; I'm just there in case a vote needs to be taken. And as I predicted to my eboard, we should not be surprised that our school committee is not in the mood for further shenanigans. We're down to just one more item we're going to try to negotiate, the school committee having shot down the other seven.

You reap what you sow, and my harder-core union buddies are learning that now. @Medicine Man, I'm sure your wife is having a WONDERFUL week... :rolleyes:

2020 is going to be a massive long-term loss for the teachers' unions. I'm mostly ecstatic about that.
She’s loving it!

Apparently some teachers went in today, I applaud them. The union quickly sent a memo stating that if your mental state and anxiety would be helped by going to your class, please feel free to do so.
This thinly veiled response is basically saying everyone who went in is nuts and/or unable to deal with life, if you want to join these loonies, please don’t let us stop you...

It’s gross.

I hope you’re right about these unions.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
She’s loving it!

Apparently some teachers went in today, I applaud them. The union quickly sent a memo stating that if your mental state and anxiety would be helped by going to your class, please feel free to do so.
This thinly veiled response is basically saying everyone who went in is nuts and/or unable to deal with life, if you want to join these loonies, please don’t let us stop you...

It’s gross.

I hope you’re right about these unions.
I hope so too.

They do serve a purpose, though it's a pretty esoteric and technical one. I've seen what happens in states without them, and neither the working conditions nor the student outcomes are anything to brag about. But unions are bureaucracies first and foremost, with all the usual problems that entails. They need to be smacked down every decade or so.

Fritz the Cat

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hope so too.

They do serve a purpose, though it's a pretty esoteric and technical one. I've seen what happens in states without them, and neither the working conditions nor the student outcomes are anything to brag about. But unions are bureaucracies first and foremost, with all the usual problems that entails. They need to be smacked down every decade or so.
The Iron Law of Bureaucracy
: In any bureaucracy, the people devoted to the benefit of the bureaucracy itself always get in control and those dedicated to the goals the bureaucracy is supposed to accomplish have less and less influence, and sometimes are eliminated entirely.

ASHDUMP

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My daughter started kindergarten September 1st. So far everything is going very smooth and no issues at all. She absolutely loves going to school and seeing her friends everyday. The school and staff seem very accommodating and follow all protocols.

So far no Corona Virus cases. I'm sure something will pop up at some point. Although I'm not worried about it.

She also started hockey yesterday. Talking with some of the hockey parents they were ecstatic their kids were seeing other kids... and quite frankly, just being kids.

Medicine Man

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bwaaa haaa haaa! They got their asses handed to them. The teachers are pissed. The union lied their asses off and all the teachers know. The comment section on the zoom chat is hilarious.
F-ing union actually tried to blame the teachers!

We have been a consistent top school system for a long time, but I’m afraid between the wing nuts running the union and our newly hired but can’t ever be fired superintendent who can only utter cliches, we’re done.
So glad the kid already graduated.

Ok, @Picton let’s keep this train rolling..

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Bwaaa haaa haaa! They got their asses handed to them. The teachers are pissed. The union lied their asses off and all the teachers know. The comment section on the zoom chat is hilarious.
F-ing union actually tried to blame the teachers!

We have been a consistent top school system for a long time, but I’m afraid between the wing nuts running the union and our newly hired but can’t ever be fired superintendent who can only utter cliches, we’re done.
So glad the kid already graduated.

Ok, @Picton let’s keep this train rolling..
Yeah, mine's going to get porked. I can read the writing on the wall, but our hardliners can't. Only a matter of time.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
My daughter started kindergarten September 1st. So far everything is going very smooth and no issues at all. She absolutely loves going to school and seeing her friends everyday. The school and staff seem very accommodating and follow all protocols.

So far no Corona Virus cases. I'm sure something will pop up at some point. Although I'm not worried about it.

She also started hockey yesterday. Talking with some of the hockey parents they were ecstatic their kids were seeing other kids... and quite frankly, just being kids.
6YO playing hockey?? What is her position? The puck? LOL

Remember that Missouri (home of Stape!) has less than HALF the restrictions of mASS. They have 1500 cases per day, every day. In a state the population about of mASS. Not 1500 growing to 8,000. 1500. Consistent for the last 7 weeks or so. Death rate is around the same as it was back in April and May.

So many non-Northeast places are functioning without all of the Baker fear we have. Sure more people "get it." And some will die. But we've got to be realistic. Stuff shouldn't be 100% open but it needs to be FAR more open than it is now.

My dad shocked me last night. "You know, there are places in the world where Malaria rages. Some get it. Some don't. Some die. Some don't. But you can't dwell on it all day every day. You need to live your life." Back in May he wouldn't let us see him b/c he was afraid he was gonna die of COVID. 5 weeks ago, he had emergency 3x bypass. Suddenly we can hug and kiss him. Because it might not be tehCorona that gets him. He might have a massive heart attack or get run over by a bus. That was pretty cool to see in him.

ASHDUMP

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
6YO playing hockey?? What is her position? The puck? LOL

Remember that Missouri (home of Stape!) has less than HALF the restrictions of mASS. They have 1500 cases per day, every day. In a state the population about of mASS. Not 1500 growing to 8,000. 1500. Consistent for the last 7 weeks or so. Death rate is around the same as it was back in April and May.

So many non-Northeast places are functioning without all of the Baker fear we have. Sure more people "get it." And some will die. But we've got to be realistic. Stuff shouldn't be 100% open but it needs to be FAR more open than it is now.

My dad shocked me last night. "You know, there are places in the world where Malaria rages. Some get it. Some don't. Some die. Some don't. But you can't dwell on it all day every day. You need to live your life." Back in May he wouldn't let us see him b/c he was afraid he was gonna die of COVID. 5 weeks ago, he had emergency 3x bypass. Suddenly we can hug and kiss him. Because it might not be tehCorona that gets him. He might have a massive heart attack or get run over by a bus. That was pretty cool to see in him.
At her age they like playing tag and swim fishy swim... Sometimes the pucks come out I guess!
0909201647.jpg
0909201658.jpg

Canndo

NES Member
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
My daughter’s catholic school has spent upwards of 1 million dollars to upgrade and make the school safe. They started a hybrid system, 2 weeks ago.
Last week, the contact tracing app, that they use in the school, notified us that two members of the school community tested positive. Subsequently anyone who came in contact was removed from the school for two weeks. Only a few people were affected, and it worked out great.
Then........we were notified, just yesterday, that 40 students had a party outside of school. No social distancing or masks etc. apparently this violates the covenants each student agrees to. So.......now the whole school is shut down for at least two weeks. Learning at home will continue.

My son continues to live in a frat house at college. To date, over 500 students have tested positive for COVID-19. Nothing has changed there. Anyone affected is moved to a Covid dorm. Son has tested negative.

G Port

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I assume you had them put on a ventilator. To be sure
the inpatient positive was on a respirator. He was in tough shape. Covid does kill, and in the right demographic it hits hard. But overall, it's really not the black plague.

ASHDUMP

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
City of Newton and Boston are pissed at BC because they have had a few outbreaks and basically told the both of them to pound sand on testing everyone every day.

I guess they are target testing in lieu of testing everyone. Although every student and falculty did get tested for day 1 of school.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I know I keep saying this but MO has few restrictions. Schools are open in places all over the state. Still at 1500 cases per day. Death rate about 1/4th what mASS rate is.

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I know I keep saying this but MO has few restrictions. Schools are open in places all over the state. Still at 1500 cases per day. Death rate about 1/4th what mASS rate is.
I have hard time believing anything media or .gov pushes out, especially with constant scandals on testing standards etc. At this point the show must go on regardless what the new facts are. It's all about politics and control and not about health or public safety.

Fram is starting school tomorrow ... that's it today, since it's 1am. f***ing useless a**h***s. If public ed could not get any more of a joke ... we got 2020 version. \

You know how they used to burn witches to mitigate some epidemics of desease? I almost guarantee you that burning some politicians would actually solve the Wu Flu problem.

xtry51

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
They have to do something to preserve the school building and staff. Full remote and there is no point in keeping the teachers or the real estate.
I'd prefer we ditch the building, keep the sports complex and teach full remote permanently. My kids are advancing faster from home than in class.

Top Bottom