Schools This Fall

Racenet

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol what union cares about it’s membership?

I have honestly never heard a bunch of adults act the way these people are acting. Perhaps the fact they spend so much time around children has altered their view of reality.
For a union of workers they spend an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out how not to work.
There are plenty who don’t agree.
Anyone who raises concern is put on a team to “help”. However the team is made up of obsequious sheep who drown out the detractors. A very effective strategy that feigns inclusion but actually eliminates dissent.
These people are professional power grabbers and they’re not letting go.
Well, they have to to some extent, as that is where a good portion of their money comes from. The theft of dues from everyone's paycheck. Let's say there are 1000 teachers in a district. 900 of them want to go back to work and 100 do not. What the hell is the union going to do when those 900 go back? Are those 100 going to take on the 900? Throw the 900 out of the union? Fine them with more union dues?

So, what will a union do if the vast majority of their membership refuse to do what they are pushing?

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Do these teachers realize if they go full remote they will eventually be outsourced? And I'd think the very well compensated superintendent types would be all in for meat world teaching otherwise someone might notice they aren't needed in a full remote school system. They would never again have salaries close to what they are now making.
I'd like to badmouth teachers as a whole and say they are stupid and self-serving, but everyone is stupid and self-serving.

I mean, think about it. The average American doesn't have enough cash to go 2 weeks without pay. TWO WEEKS!

That's how short-sighted we are. So your average "we're never going back to the classroom" teacher isn't thinking longer than "I just wanna get thru 2020-21." They aren't considering that if school went total-remote in the future, half of them would lose their jobs. It's not even a thought right now.

Hell, if just 20% of Americans actually considered life beyond 18 minutes from now, half or more of the crappy laws we have on the books wouldn't even exist. We are a species of animal that is constantly adjusting to unintended consequences.

Well, they have to to some extent, as that is where a good portion of their money comes from. The theft of dues from everyone's paycheck. Let's say there are 1000 teachers in a district. 900 of them want to go back to work and 100 do not. What the hell is the union going to do when those 900 go back? Are those 100 going to take on the 900? Throw the 900 out of the union? Fine them with more union dues?

So, what will a union do if the vast majority of their membership refuse to do what they are pushing?
You speak as if every union doesn't act like a mafia shakedown. Because every one of them do. Well, that and a mix of Charlie Baker "I'm very disappointed in you and if you don't do what I say, this is going to bad and you'll be to blame." They can absoLUTELY get the 900 to fall in line with the 100 that are disgruntled.

Hell, I bet they could do it 990-10. All they need is "we're seeing this all across the country. I know what you're trying for, but we need to stick together."

No one wants to be the outlier. Safety in numbers - even if you are lemmings headed for the cliff.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
True, but that does not answer the question.
The answer only matters if you live in a town NOT infested with moonbats.

If you did live in such a place then as a matter of common sense it would never have occurred to you to ASK the question. Therefor you live in a moonbat town and the teachers will not revolt, thus rendering the question moot.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Lol what union cares about it’s membership?

I have honestly never heard a bunch of adults act the way these people are acting. Perhaps the fact they spend so much time around children has altered their view of reality.
For a union of workers they spend an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out how not to work.
There are plenty who don’t agree.
Anyone who raises concern is put on a team to “help”. However the team is made up of obsequious sheep who drown out the detractors. A very effective strategy that feigns inclusion but actually eliminates dissent.
These people are professional power grabbers and they’re not letting go.
There's a big disconnect between early-elementary and high-school teachers. The early-grade teachers tend to be older, weepier, more spoiled, and more self-righteous. They're "student-centered" rather than "subject centered," meaning they care more about whether their students are comfortable and happy than whether they learn the material. They're also much more numerous in any local union.

Don't get me wrong, plenty of my fellow HS teachers are acting like whiny douchebags over this as well. But the rate is much lower than in the early grades. It's all very discouraging.

Racenet

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer only matters if you live in a town NOT infested with moonbats.

If you did live in such a place then as a matter of common sense it would never have occurred to you to ASK the question. Therefor you live in a moonbat town and the teachers will not revolt, thus rendering the question moot.
bean23.gif

Medicine Man

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd like to badmouth teachers as a whole and say they are stupid and self-serving, but everyone is stupid and self-serving.

I mean, think about it. The average American doesn't have enough cash to go 2 weeks without pay. TWO WEEKS!

That's how short-sighted we are. So your average "we're never going back to the classroom" teacher isn't thinking longer than "I just wanna get thru 2020-21." They aren't considering that if school went total-remote in the future, half of them would lose their jobs. It's not even a thought right now.

Hell, if just 20% of Americans actually considered life beyond 18 minutes from now, half or more of the crappy laws we have on the books wouldn't even exist. We are a species of animal that is constantly adjusting to unintended consequences.

You speak as if every union doesn't act like a mafia shakedown. Because every one of them do. Well, that and a mix of Charlie Baker "I'm very disappointed in you and if you don't do what I say, this is going to bad and you'll be to blame." They can absoLUTELY get the 900 to fall in line with the 100 that are disgruntled.

Hell, I bet they could do it 990-10. All they need is "we're seeing this all across the country. I know what you're trying for, but we need to stick together."

No one wants to be the outlier. Safety in numbers - even if you are lemmings headed for the cliff.
This exactly.
They talked about a “moral obligation “...

Medicine Man

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There's a big disconnect between early-elementary and high-school teachers. The early-grade teachers tend to be older, weepier, more spoiled, and more self-righteous. They're "student-centered" rather than "subject centered," meaning they care more about whether their students are comfortable and happy than whether they learn the material. They're also much more numerous in any local union.

Don't get me wrong, plenty of my fellow HS teachers are acting like whiny douchebags over this as well. But the rate is much lower than in the early grades. It's all very discouraging.
The opposite seems to be true in my town. The elementary is ready to go back and the hs is complaining about students changing classrooms and that they suffer higher exposure.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
The opposite seems to be true in my town. The elementary is ready to go back and the hs is complaining about students changing classrooms and that they suffer higher exposure.
There's plenty of paranoia to go around, then.

Buy up your tinfoil now, NES; the teachers' unions are apparently hoarding it to make hats for this shit.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Talked to my sister yesterday. Easton is going part-time starting the 15th or something. They hope to be 100% in class by Oct 1. Damn. Good for them!

Taunton will be 2 weeks of distance, a week of transition, 2 or more weeks of PT, then look at full time. Starting on the 14ht, that means . . . . . the Monday after Columbus Day?

Canndo

NES Member
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Well, this didn’t last long. Just got a text from my wife saying my sons fraternity house, at Penn State, has a case of COVID-19. He’s only been back 1 week. He’s getting tested at 1:30 today. No other details. :(

*Update. Son got tested at 1:30 with an “asymptomatic test”. I guess there are two types of tests. “Asymptomatic” and “exposure” test. The “asymptomatic” test means you just generally want to get tested. The “exposure” test means you were exposed to someone who has it. I guess if you take the “exposure” test, you are subject to retesting
Anyways he’ll know within a couple of hours. I guess the kid who had it at his house got it from his girlfriend who is symptomatic. He’s been moved to a Covid isolation dorm. Another frat brother lives in an apartment across the street. He wasn’t tested but has symptoms. My son’s roommate got tested and he is negative.

Last edited:

EMTDAD

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
from our local School Superintendent.. read into it however you see fit. :rolleyes:

"One of the most recent DESE communications allows school districts across MA to have students of teachers attend schools on a full-time, in-person, basis. As school staff are now considered essential workers, their children can be placed under the same umbrella as High Needs students. North Attleborough Public Schools are measuring the viability of this option and will be making a determination by the end of next week. The final determination will be relayed to the community by the end of business, Friday, September 4, 2020. "

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
from our local School Superintendent.. read into it however you see fit. :rolleyes:
Yes, I've seen something similar.

My initial reaction is that they had five months to issue that kind of "declaration," and yet they didn't bother doing so until schools had already invested hours and dollars into planning. Now, this "declaration" invites them to scrap all that and start from ground zero.

I'm fine with teachers being "essential workers," I guess, but doing it the week before school starts is much worse than not doing it at all. On the whole, I kinda wish the feds had kept their mouths shut. I've made a million and one arrangements on the work side and the home side, and it was a PITA. I'd prefer not to scrap it now because some executive-branch bureaucrat took three weeks longer to make a decision than he should have.

That's how I read into it.

Medicine Man

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Back again...

so teachers were supposed to report to classrooms yesterday. They didn’t. I hate to say I told you so but I’ve been privy to these union meetings as they are all on zoom and you can’t escape the screeching from any room.
SC is not paying them and called it an illegal strike.

bigpick

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First day of school for my daughter, going into second grade. She’s very excited to see her friends again and get homework. Yes she loves homework. They’ve done a lot at the school to prepare for the students coming back. Happy to see thing moving forward.

Racenet

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First day back for our local school district. As far as I can tell, things ran pretty well. Just had a few issues with the bus drivers not picking up some students that were supposed to be picked up. Even the lady I've talked about here that was sure she was going to die said it was a good day and she was impressed at its outcome.

Everyone survived!

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Local catholic school had school yesterday. Buses all over town. So strange after months and months of nothing.

Son starts "distance learning" on Monday. 8-2. Sit at the kitchen table with his Chromebook. Yeah. That's going to go well. It seemed far more efficient last year when they did a few Zoom classes a week and then distributed assignments. 6 hours in a chair is NOT going to go well.

Oh and next Saturday we leave for Disney. I guess he's gonna be absent for a week of virtual school.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm curious how things will go with sped. Some of these kids are incapable of performing without close guidance. Getting that sort of experience through a screen will be tough enough for the kids that DON'T have any such issues.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Local catholic school had school yesterday. Buses all over town. So strange after months and months of nothing.

Son starts "distance learning" on Monday. 8-2. Sit at the kitchen table with his Chromebook. Yeah. That's going to go well. It seemed far more efficient last year when they did a few Zoom classes a week and then distributed assignments. 6 hours in a chair is NOT going to go well.

Oh and next Saturday we leave for Disney. I guess he's gonna be absent for a week of virtual school.
Just bring the Chromebook. He can relay through your phone's hot spot while you're on the Teacup ride.

hillman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
The main problem so far this year with the schools my wife works at is the confusion on the rules, and no simple directives from the administration. Many of the teachers don't understand if it's 6 feet distance with a mask indoors, or 6 feet is ok without a mask indoors, or 3 feet, or 20 feet, the administration just needs to come out with some clear rules and people will not be pulling their hair out arguing with each other. Some of the teachers have shared offices and think if there's only a certain number of people in the office they don't need masks, others say mask indoors all the time, and still, the admins stay quiet. And it's funny, at one of the schools she works at, the Kindergarten teachers act like kindergarten students, the other grade teachers don't like working with them because they are basically spoiled children, and they are literally arguing with everyone about the mask rules. It's a mess, people on top are reluctant to be clear with the rules, people on the bottom won't act with common sense until someone tells them how to, and people in the middle are just trying to do their jobs. And why the hell don't school windows open? Seems like a pretty bad system.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Just bring the Chromebook. He can relay through your phone's hot spot while you're on the Teacup ride.
He gets 3 unexcused per quarter. He's at the top 10% of his class. We will miss 3 for sure. Epcot doesn't open until 11 so that day we'll "take him out early from school." The last day? Please. One over?? F them. I'm not real worried. Those rules are for kids that F off. He's tops in everything he does. To Victor goes the spoiled food. Or something like that. And his name isn't Victor.

Expecting ANY of these kids to sit there for most of 6 hours is just stupid. How much of a school day are the kids just sitting there doing work? What about gym and other extracurriculars? There's an hour right there. Plus lunch. How about log in at 9, work til noon and call it a day?? Homework to be turned in before 9am the next day. Problem solved.

tuna

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
He gets 3 unexcused per quarter. He's at the top 10% of his class. We will miss 3 for sure. Epcot doesn't open until 11 so that day we'll "take him out early from school." The last day? Please. One over?? F them. I'm not real worried. Those rules are for kids that F off. He's tops in everything he does. To Victor goes the spoiled food. Or something like that. And his name isn't Victor.

Expecting ANY of these kids to sit there for most of 6 hours is just stupid. How much of a school day are the kids just sitting there doing work? What about gym and other extracurriculars? There's an hour right there. Plus lunch. How about log in at 9, work til noon and call it a day?? Homework to be turned in before 9am the next day. Problem solved.
So it’s ok for the teachers to just e-mail it in for a couple months, but the kids have to be accounted for?
I lost the little respect I had for East Longmeadow teachers last year. My son has one teacher (2nd grade) and my daughter had 5 (6th grade). Out of six teachers, there was ZERO communication to us beyond an email saying what was due.
Actually, my son’s teacher after a month did solicit for a group zoom thing so the kids could see each other. Since my son didn’t care we declined, too politely in my book.

I’m giving my new school the benefit of the doubt. So far things are ok, we’ll see how it goes. But anyone who believes the BS that East Longmeadow schools are good, needs another think.

Top Bottom