• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School under fire for taking 6-year-olds to gun range

Dupe.

Hard to blame you, though; the previously cited articles got the age wrong. But still.

Last edited:
From write up

"The kids were only shown an unloaded 1894 Winchester rifle and a six-shooter from the same era, and all of their parents signed permission slips, the school added."

So if the parents of the kids that went are OK WITH IT why is anyone else that didn't have a kid on that field trip saying anything???

OH YA, because they like to stick their nose where it doesn't belong!!!

I swear that when I was I the 2nd or 3rd grade, a revolutionary war Re enactor came to our class and told us all about how life was like for a soldier back them.

My memory is fuzzy, but I'm 90% certain he had a musket with him and showed us how it worked. This was in MA also.

At first I was gonna be the devils advocate on this story, because I know how many accidents happen from "unloaded" gunz, but then I read that the parents signed permission slips

My memory is fuzzy, but I'm 90% certain he had a musket with him and showed us how it worked. This was in MA also.

Yup, definitely had a re enactor come to my Massachusetts elementary school and show us his rifle. And yes we all went outside where he showed us how it was loaded and fired a blank off. Everyone loved it and no one was hurt.

Yup, definitely had a re enactor come to my Massachusetts elementary school and show us his rifle. And yes we all went outside where he showed us how it was loaded and fired a blank off. Everyone loved it and no one was hurt.

You can still do this. Even in MA. You just need your principal to sign off on it. One of the other teachers in my department brings his Brown Bess in and fires a blank off every year, and somehow it fails to make the papers.

Granted, we teach high schoolers. But still.

I can remember going on a field trip to the police station in elementary school and the police showing us their old firing range in the basement and some of their guns, no shots were fired, but I thought that was pretty cool. since the parents signed permission slips, seems fine to me!

Yes, but not all are currently able to do so.

I teach Hunter Ed. I tell the students, "If you're using this to get your FID/LTC, great. If you don't have any experience with guns.....find someone that does, that can show you!"

Both my kids got their FIDs on the HE card, and I was fine with that - both had learned through osmosis (and the younger was an NRA Instructor). But they were safe, with or without the HE card.

Since there's no curriculum for dads.....[sad]

Back
Top Bottom