• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School shooting in Finland.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080923/ap_on_re_eu/eu_finland_school_shooting

Gunman opens fire at school in Finland, 9 dead By MATTI HUUHTANEN, Associated Press Writer
27 minutes ago

HELSINKI, Finland - A gunman opened fire at a vocational school for adults in western Finland on Tuesday before shooting himself, police said. Finnish media reported nine people were killed and the gunman was wounded.

The shootings began just before 11 a.m. local time as about 150 students went to class in Kauhajoki, 180 miles northwest of Helsinki. Witnesses said panic broke out as the hooded gunman entered the school and began firing.

"Within a short space of time I heard several dozen rounds of shots, in other words it was an automatic pistol," school janitor Jukka Forsberg told broadcaster YLE. "I saw some female students who were wailing and moaning and one managed to escape out of the back door."

YLE, citing police at the school, reported nine people were killed. The Finnish news agency STT said the school building was on fire and the gunman reportedly had explosives on him.

Jussi Muotio, superintendent of the Kauhajoki police, confirmed that several people had been wounded but could not immediately confirm the deaths. "The incident is over now," Muotio said.

Vesa Nyrhinen, detective superintendent from the local police, declined to say how seriously the gunman was injured. "He was wounded by his own bullets," he said.

College rector Timo Varmola told YLE there were 150 students in the school at the time.

The shootings happened almost a year after another gunman killed eight people and himself at a school in southern Finland, an attack that triggered a fierce debate about gun laws in this Nordic nation with deep-rooted traditions of hunting in the sub-Arctic wilderness.

With 1.6 million firearms in private hands, Finland is an anomaly in Europe, lagging behind only the United States and Yemen in civilian gun ownership, studies show.

Finnish media said YouTube clips of a man firing a gun appeared to be linked to the shooting. In one of them, a young man wearing a leather jacket fires several shots in rapid succession with a handgun at what appears to be a shooting range.

The posting was made five days before the shooting and the location was given as Kauhajoki. The posting included a message saying: "Whole life is war and whole life is pain. And you will fight alone in your personal war."

The person who posted the clip identified himself as a 22-year-old with the name "Mr. Saari." He also posted three other clips of himself firing a handgun in the past three weeks.

Clips from the 1999 Columbine school shootings in Colorado were listed among his favorite videos.

Police could not immediately confirm whether the postings were linked to Tuesday's shooting.

Last year, Pekka-Eric Auvinen, described by police as a bullied 18-year-old outcast, opened fire at his high school in southern Finland on Nov. 7. He killed six students, a school nurse and the principal before ending his own life with a gunshot to the head.

Finnish investigators have said Auvinen left a suicide note for his family and foreshadowed his attack in YouTube postings.

After Auvinen's rampage, the government said it would raise the minimum age for buying guns from 15 to 18, but insisted there was no need for sweeping changes to Finland's gun laws.

This is sad. You always hear from those Euroweenies talking about our crazy "gun culture". I guess they can STFU now.

vicpinto said:
This is sad. You always hear from those Euroweenies talking about our crazy "gun culture". I guess they can STFU now.
I wish...Problem is, that'd require logic applied on a large scale.

TFA said:
The person who posted the clip identified himself as a 22-year-old with the name "Mr. Saari." [...]

Last year, Pekka-Eric Auvinen, described by police as a bullied 18-year-old outcast[...]

After Auvinen's rampage, the government said it would raise the minimum age for buying guns from 15 to 18, but insisted there was no need for sweeping changes to Finland's gun laws.
[thinking] We need a face->palm emoticon.

"Within a short space of time I heard several dozen rounds of shots, in other words it was an automatic pistol," school janitor Jukka Forsberg

Oh crap, my G18 mag holds 33 rounds, that must be an automatic pistol then. Guess they guy doesn't know that they sell you more than one mag with the gun...

Oh crap, my G18 mag holds 33 rounds, that must be an automatic pistol then. Guess they guy doesn't know that they sell you more than one mag with the gun...

true antigunners know that automatic pistols never run out of bullets just like in the movies.

At least they are on the same page and are not taking the rights away from all of their citizens.

And:

With 1.6 million firearms in private hands, Finland is an anomaly in Europe, lagging behind only the United States and Yemen in civilian gun ownership, studies show.

I am surprise ALL of Europe is not packing, considering WWI and WWII: Apparently everyone wants to roll over when Russia begins their global domination. [thinking]

YouTube clips of a man firing a gun appeared to be linked to the shooting. In one of them, a young man wearing a leather jacket fires several shots in rapid succession with a handgun at what appears to be a shooting range.

So now if you show yourself shooting on youtube, the cops will grab you?

The MSN.com report said the guy used a .22. When was the last time you saw an 'automatic' .22?

The MSN.com report said the guy used a .22. When was the last time you saw an 'automatic' .22?

Umm, Coincidentally, it was the last time I was in Finland. I was taken to a range in Helsinki by some fellow IPSC shooters and we shot some full auto 9mm’s. The owner of the range took me in the back room and showed me his private collection. OMFG! I’ve never seen so many types of machine guns assembled in one place and that includes the MG shoots at Westfield. This guy had EVERYTHING and two of some. Incredible collection.

I understand from Wikipedia, hopefully correctly, that CCW for self-defense is not legal in Finland. Rescue workers arriving on scene waited outside while hearing gunshots. Yet another Gun-Free Zone saga, tragic as it is...

I understand from Wikipedia, hopefully correctly, that CCW for self-defense is not legal in Finland. Rescue workers arriving on scene waited outside while hearing gunshots. Yet another Gun-Free Zone saga, tragic as it is...

Your information matches what I've read. The Finns have lots of guns for hunting--a real tradition in that northern clime. But their laws governing handguns and CCW are closer to Chicago and D.C. than to Massachusetts, much less most of the U.S.

The American 180

A previous poster mentioned The American 180.
An automatic 22LR, the American 180, my gun shop in Kentucky has two of them (ones a shooter & one's like brand new in the box). It looks like a Thompson SMG but has a round drum type magazine on top of it. Lots of fun to shoot (and a good way to go through lots of 22LR). God I miss Kentucky.
smitty

Last I checked, the top Google News hits were all UK/AUS press wringing their hands over lax gun controls. The Economist (UK edition) took the opportunity to post stats on homicide rates and gun laws in various countries, with the US, of course, coming in high.

When Europeans shake this in my face, I just note we have a lot more bad people here who need killing, and guns do the job better than clubs and knives. Since we are uncivilized heathens to them, they really don't find much to say ... I also mention we are the world's remaining superpower and waste time swapping our knife and fork around while eating, so what can you expect from us? We'll stay on our side of the Atlantic and they can stay on theirs - give us a call if you need you asses saved once again and we'll see what we can do.

So the police were questioning him only a couple hours before the shooting happened and noticed nothing unusual about his behavior? Was this kid really good at putting on an act or were the police really bad at reading the warning signs?

The boy was two days before shooting by police. Boy was very clever and good in the scool. He was first class citizen.
Police, who was making the interview mus to go in the hearing. [crying]
Police was also visiting boys home later, but he was not there. Some inspector says, no house search. Now he must to go also to hearing. [crying]

This is sad. You always hear from those Euroweenies talking about our crazy "gun culture". I guess they can STFU now.[/QUOTE] [rofl]

News tell also, that Finland is most "American culture country" in Europe. [rofl] [rolleyes] [rofl]
But no need to carry guns in veryn fine Finland!!!!!!
Also our banks are very solid.

Last edited:
News tell also, that Finland is most "American culture country" in Europe. [rofl] [rolleyes] [rofl]
But no need to carry guns in veryn fine Finland!!!!!!
Also our banks are very solid.

Despite what you see in the movies, most people here will live out their lives without ever NEEDING to use a gun for defense.

Our Constitution acknowleges that the people have rights to express themselves and to protect themselves, and apparently also to make poor choices in selecting mortgage products.

The down side to this is, some folks make poor choices or live in dangerous, violent ways, or spend a lot of time bitching about other people.

The up side is, if it is our choice to fail, it can also be our choice to succeed, and we have the political, social and resource environment to allow it.

In passing, my father was born in Telluride Colorado. My sister lives in Hollywood Florida. I have been many times in USA.

I read once that cold climates tend to make for friendlier cultures, maybe because your neighbor becomes another warm body around the fireplace, or to help with a crop, rather than a competitor for scare resources like water. I'm not sure how that explains Russia (with the notable exception of our Yelena!!!), but Finland is said to be a nice place to visit.

ed. [laugh] I guess it doesn't really explain Massachusetts drivers, either.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom