1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

School sends home permission slips for Pledge of Allegiance

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AppleSeeds, Dec 22, 2010.

1. AppleSeeds

AppleSeeds

2. davemata

davemata

it's mass, are you really that surprised?

3. timbo

timbo Navy Veteran NES Member

but they don't need a permission slip for an abortion

4. Boston_Shooter

Boston_Shooter

If you refuse to pledge allegiance to the flag of this country, then you should move to the country whose flag you feel more comfortable pledging it to. I'm sick of the "America is made up of immigrants, immigrants made this country what it is" ... that may be true, but at the end of the day, all those immigrants came here for a better life, the American dream, fleeing from their homeland to chase the American dollar and the opportunities this country provides. Now.... put your hand over your heart and pledge allegiance or go home. "America has such an ugly history, of bloodshed and slavery!" BLOW ME, name me a country that ever had a fraction of power that doesn't. Greece? Italy? England? Portugal? Russia? France? I'll wait until you can come up with one....until then suck it.

Rant off.

2 people like this.
  5. 44marty

44marty NES Member

Ridiculous - Every immigrant, to become a citizen, is required to memorize this and pledge allegiance to these United States. They do so proudly, with respect for this country.
    Are the moonbats ashamed to be American citizens? Refusing the pledge of allegiance should get you deported, regardless of your birthplace. Too many libtards take their American heritage for granted, have no respect for our country, our freedoms or those who have sacrificed to protect those freedoms.
    Sorry for the rant, but crap like this really pi$$es me off.

6. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

One more reason I want the government to go financially bankrupt. For anybody who missed it: News Flash - the Republic is dead.

7. rattletrap1970

rattletrap1970

Mass Public School = Fail

8. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

Here's the problem - read the description of the school (from their own website)

http://www.brookline.k12.ma.us/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=113&Itemid=155

9. TheRoland

TheRoland

Pledges, like all oaths or affirmations, should be freely given and without coercion. I don't understand the impulse to tell kids to stand up and say words they don't mean so people can feel good about each others' loyalty. What percentage of eighth graders have any idea what the Republic is and why they might give it their allegiance?

1 person likes this.
  10. Twigg

Twigg

Well, no wonder. They don't have any students from The United States Of America. [thinking]

11. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

True.

But if those kids lives were free of coercion - they wouldn't be in that school in the first place.

1 person likes this.
  12. In God We Trust

In God We Trust

While I like that they are asking parent's permission to do something, I would rather it were about something more controversial like religion, sex ed or "alternate lifestyle education". That stuff they just shove down the kids throat with no hesitation.

1 person likes this.
  13. BWhite

BWhite

What school admin thought of this ? Doubt it was the teachers or its union . Kids should say the pledge every day - even home schooled kids and during vacation/weekends too !

14. WayneWong

WayneWong

I'd protest this by eating a veal parmesan sandwich, melting my bicycle and forging it into a sword, and singing the Pledge of Allegiance in front of the town hall. Nothing this town or it's civil servants do under the color of authority suprises me. As long as they keep it within their own borders. Thank God we have the guns and they are afraid of them.

15. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

I must be missing something here. Based on the article posted by the OP, no where in the article or the text of the letter sent to the parents are they asking permission. Is that an edited version of the letter? What information did the parent have to fill in? Was there a checkbox that the parent had to select to "allow" their child to say the Pledge? I read that letter as encouraging the parents to engage their kids on the Pledge's meaning and significance.

I think this is much ado about nothing.

16. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

THIS.

It's like sending your kid to religious indoctrination when they have no clue what it all really means. They learn things that they don't have any ability to comprehend when they are five or six years old. OH sure, you can make them recite it, but at the end of the day, it is meaningless unless they comprehend what they are pledging to.

I happily and proudly recite the pledge but it's because I understand its meaning and significance. Lets spend the time to teach the kids what it means to be an American and then it will be a meaningful act.

17. Lank

Lank NES Member

They cant be all that bad- JFK is considered a right wing fascist to some leftists.

I wonder if individual responsibilty is part of the cirriculum

18. Hiltonizer

Hiltonizer Banned

I for one believe a time for POL should be allowed, especially in public schools... but that is my opinion. You forget that a large part of the great dream of America is that no one should be telling you WTF to do as long as you aren't hurting anyone else.

If people want to pass on the pledge, fine, if schools want to remove it, who cares... put a flag in your bedroom and do it in the morning. (yes, my dad brought me up to do so)

Everyone just needs to shut up about it, as it's a needlessly divisive debate that's a waste of everyone's time, and debating it as public policy is a waste of money. I say we scrap the public education system as a whole and solve a whole lot of problems.

19. Lank

Lank NES Member

Waynewong for President

I just fell out of my chair!

20. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Forum Curmudgeon NES Member

It's goddamn hippies!

I been trying to warn you guy's!

It's goddamn Hippies!

We shoulda kicked their asses years ago!

21. sportycliff

sportycliff

This is now true ONLY if it's politically correct...