School me on USPSA Carry Optic Division

Been watching lots of videos regarding this class. It looks very interesting. Could you all give me specifics on a new shooter perspective?

• Equipment rules
• Events within New England
• Gun specifics
• Upcoming events

Went to the USPSA website and found it confusing and information wasn't very helpful. Links would be great. Thank you!

Thanks for that, will read now.

Caveat, I will be asking plenty of n00b questions.

First question that comes to mind is how living in a state like MA affect rules, and events specifically. For example magazines in this class according to USPSA cannot exceed a certain length. In MA we are limited to 10 rounds correct, does this mean we are limited to 10 rounds in USPSA CO if events are in MA?

First question that comes to mind is how living in a state like MA affect rules, and events specifically. For example magazines in this class according to USPSA cannot exceed a certain length. In MA we are limited to 10 rounds correct, does this mean we are limited to 10 rounds in USPSA CO if events are in MA?
Yes, unless pre-ban.
That is part of the reason Limited 10 exists.

You can use preban magazines. If you use 10 round magazines, you will be at a major disadvantage.

Carry Optics is one of USPSA many divisions. What type of pistol and gear you use determines your division.
Classes in USPSA reflect your skill level, ie Master, A, B, C...

A little pet peeve of mine is the class/division malapropism

What part of the world are you in? We can recommend nearby clubs who host USPSA matches or even public practices.
What type of pistol do you have in mind? Most will recommend to start off with something you currently own before buying lots of stuff you probably don't need.

Vincent would be very wise to listen to what SJan has to share in regards to USPSA.

Harvard Sportsman's Club has one more match scheduled this year for November 10th. Monson Action Shooters puts on a great match at the Springfield Sportsmans Club, they have one scheduled this month on the 27th.

Add Uspsa-ne.org/matches to your browser favorites or leave a tab open to keep up to date with Match schedules in New England.

Is Harvard still holding USPSA Practice on Wednesday evenings? That would be a great place to get your feet wet as well.

Living in MA has no impact on the rules. Just know the rules of the sport and play by them....which you can do in MA.

Living in MA has no impact on the rules. Just know the rules of the sport and play by them....which you can do in MA.

USPSA does have a rule that addresses locations with magazine capacity restrictions.

3.3.1 In states where competitors are restricted by law to maximum magazine
capacity, that maximum capacity will be the maximum allowed for all
competitors in the contest. Any such limitations must be made known to all
competitors by the Match Director/Range Master before the start of the
match.
However, since Massachusetts has pre-ban grandfather clause I'm not aware of any matches that do this. It is the norm in NY since the Safe Act.

USPSA does have a rule that addresses locations with magazine capacity restrictions.

match.
However, since Massachusetts has pre-ban grandfather clause I'm not aware of any matches that do this. It is the norm in NY since the Safe Act.
living in MA has no impact on the rules.

Vincent would be very wise to listen to what SJan has to share in regards to USPSA.

Harvard Sportsman's Club has one more match scheduled this year for November 10th. Monson Action Shooters puts on a great match at the Springfield Sportsmans Club, they have one scheduled this month on the 27th.

Add Uspsa-ne.org/matches to your browser favorites or leave a tab open to keep up to date with Match schedules in New England.

Is Harvard still holding USPSA Practice on Wednesday evenings? That would be a great place to get your feet wet as well.

I would like to attend this very much. Love to ask questions live.

What type of pistol do you have in mind? Most will recommend to start off with something you currently own before buying lots of stuff you probably don't need.[/QUOTE said:
I live in the North Shore MA. I am currently putting together a P320 compact/Delta Point Pro/Pro cut slide/10 round mags, it’s almost complete. Next on the list is a holster and belt, working out the details on that. Still waiting on my LTC renewal and trying not to get too far ahead.

Last edited:

match.

So my understanding is that I am stuck with 10 round mags. Meanwhile somebody can own pre-bans of 10+ in the same class. Advantage other guy, why? Because he is better equipped given all other things are equal.

So my understanding is that I am stuck with 10 round mags. Meanwhile somebody can own pre-bans of 10+ in the same class. Advantage other guy, why? Because he is better equipped given all other things are equal.

Why? That’s your problem. If you don’t have the equipment to be competitive and you think you are competitive, shoot a division you do have the right equipment for. That’s not a rules problem.

There are plenty of USPSA shooters in MA who own postban standard capacity mags but are willing to take the risk.

Start with your 10 round mags and have fun, think of all the practice you,ll get changing mags and planing when to do it. There are plenty of people who shoot production (10 round mags) who place well in front of people in other divisions with much higher mag capacities.

You say you are on the north shore? Mystic Valley Gun Club in Malden has a “USPSA style” match once a month. The fourth Friday night of the month to be precise. It’s fairly laid back and generally a nice first step into this style of competition.
is there any sort of pre registration for this or just show up and shoot?

Division, not class.
And yes the other guy will be at an advantage because he has better equipment. USPSA is a test of skill and equipment. You will also be at a disadvantage with a compact p320 compared to a full size x-five or legion that also meet the requirements of CO Division

Ok. Getting some good answers here. Many thanks all.

In terms of a belt and holster could anyone recommend a setup that works for multi USPSA events? Am I opening up a can of worms here, lol.

Back
Top Bottom