• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on the 225a1

Looking for a carry gun and i’ve been gravitating towards the Sig 225a1. I love hammer fired sigs, and the single stack mags don’t bother me too much, considering this states 10rd capacity limit. How are parts availability for these, and what is a fair price on one?

fine pistol given it’s roots and well established firing mechanism. However They are no longer in production. Kydex holsters will be difficult to find. Blackpoint tactical may build one given their association with Sig. for fuddy leather holsters you should be fine.

I own a Springfield XDE which is half the price and has been utterly reliable. LTT offers XDE upgrades and a custom XDE model, which has strengthened the aftermarket. JMCK and others make holsters for the XDE. The P225A1 is also a great choice but for My purposes that would be a collecting piece not carry gun. The XDE will get shit on by the Springfield haters and NES clowns with zero experience. It’s made by HS produkt in croatia and uses a very simple/established firing mechanism extremely similar to the Sig P220 series. If Ernest Langdon brings his brand to the XDE that says something. my XDE is used as a carry pistol for jogs where I don’t want to have the weight of a full size load out in my groin. My fat gringo sweat corroded the shit out of a G17.4, but the XDE still looks great! It has about 1300 rds without a stoppage including 100 rds of HST 147 gr.

another nice single stack pistol are the S&W 3913 and variants. Problem is lack of holsters. parts are not available which sucks. Wolff makes springs for them though. I love the S&W 3rd gen guns but I cant bring myself to carry one over a 92 variant or G17.

when I was in MA one of my frequent carry guns was a P229 in either 40 or 357 Sig. there are tons of pre-94 mags that hold 12 rounds. and the factory 10 rounders are only 2 rds less. Not a huge deal. Plus I much prefer the size of a P229 to anything single stack. Endless holster options too. can easily find an older P229 in .40 with short extractor (most desirable model) for less than $700.

food for thought
good luck

Last edited:
Excellent pistol. I'm usually gay 4 HK but my friend had one and let me try it out at the range. The SRT trigger is second to none (some people call the 225 the 'mini 229 legion') and yes it's been recently discontinued, so unlike the Gen4 and Gen5 Glocks here in MA where people call them 'RARE', these will actually become rarer with time and appreciate in value much like the old HK P7s and Sig P228s. If you can find one and want to carry it, pick one up but I wouldn't pay more than $1000 for it. You can get a fatter sized 229 Legion for that on the used market. I'm with you on the point that in commie states where the cops don't let you have more than 10 bullets at a time in the mag, having a gun designed for 'under ten' sits better with me than a gun that CAN take more, but you're cucked into only having the cuck mags.

Thanks for the replies. Haven't shot a 229 in years since my father sold his, but it’s what got me hooked on Sigs classic P series. How is carrying one for those who have concealed one?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Haven't shot a 229 in years since my father sold his, but its what got me hooked on Sigs classic P series. How is carrying one for those who have concealed one?

The P229 is like carrying a f***ing school bus.

I know because I used to carry one. Also used to carry guns like USPc 9 etc.

Also school buses. But a little narrower than the P229.

P229 is THICCC....

Yeah I currently have one and thinking about offloading it. Amazing gun and engineering and almost feels 'too nice' to run the mileage up at the range. Prefer to carry much lighter and smaller arms though (90% of the time, a 642).

Yeah I currently have one and thinking about offloading it. Amazing gun and engineering and almost feels 'too nice' to run the mileage up at the range. Prefer to carry much lighter and smaller arms though (90% of the time, a 642).

Lol a P225 should be beat on hard and just run. That's what it was made for. It was a european cop pistol, the only reason its special is because it happened to be ergonomically less shitty than some of Sigs other guns. (You put a P225 in someones hands and most will like it over a P228/9 or a P239 etc. )

Lol a P225 should be beat on hard and just run. That's what it was made for. It was a european cop pistol, the only reason its special is because it happened to be ergonomically less shitty than some of Sigs other guns. (You put a P225 in someones hands and most will like it over a P228/9 or a P239 etc. )
You right. My friend has a P229 plastic blue gun but not a real one, never asked him why. The grip on the 225A is perfection while the P229 feels like it's meant for someone's hands who's 6'4" tall, hickok45?

Isn’t the 225 larger than the 228/229? Can’t imagine carrying it. Love the 228/229 but can’t imagine carrying it when there are smaller and much lighter options available these days. No idea where the comment above comes from that the 229 is for large hands. It’s technically a compact - smaller than the 225/226 but double stack of course.

Isn’t the 225 larger than the 228/229? Can’t imagine carrying it. Love the 228/229 but can’t imagine carrying it when there are smaller and much lighter options available these days.
Not really, if anything its skinnier. Which makes it less of a school bus

Not really, if anything its skinnier. Which makes it less of a school bus
Longer barrel, no? I had a few 226’s and they were just larger versions of the 228/229. I realize the 225 is single stack but still seems larger in all dimensions except grip width.

edit: 225 is about the same but is skinnier as Mike noted. 226 is dimensionally larger. I was getting 225/226 confused.

Last edited:
The P229 is like carrying a f***ing school bus.

I know because I used to carry one. Also used to carry guns like USPc 9 etc.

Also school buses. But a little narrower than the P229.

P229 is THICCC....

for me comfort is 100% the function of the belt and holster, not the gun. The P229 is one of the smaller guns I carried and has long been replaced by larger pistols. apparently I like carrying a school bus. Now I just need to figure out how to CCW a suppressed Mk12. Then I will feel adequately armed.

B221ABA0-C7E8-45D3-877B-3E24D4C604A0.jpeg

fine pistol given it’s roots and well established firing mechanism. However They are no longer in production. Kydex holsters will be difficult to find. Blackpoint tactical may build one given their association with Sig. for fuddy leather holsters you should be fine.

I own a Springfield XDE which is half the price and has been utterly reliable. LTT offers XDE upgrades and a custom XDE model, which has strengthened the aftermarket. JMCK and others make holsters for the XDE. The P225A1 is also a great choice but for My purposes that would be a collecting piece not carry gun. The XDE will get shit on by the Springfield haters and NES clowns with zero experience. It’s made by HS produkt in croatia and uses a very simple/established firing mechanism extremely similar to the Sig P220 series. If Ernest Langdon brings his brand to the XDE that says something. my XDE is used as a carry pistol for jogs where I don’t want to have the weight of a full size load out in my groin. My fat gringo sweat corroded the shit out of a G17.4, but the XDE still looks great! It has about 1300 rds without a stoppage including 100 rds of HST 147 gr.

another nice single stack pistol are the S&W 3913 and variants. Problem is lack of holsters. parts are not available which sucks. Wolff makes springs for them though. I love the S&W 3rd gen guns but I cant bring myself to carry one over a 92 variant or G17.

when I was in MA one of my frequent carry guns was a P229 in either 40 or 357 Sig. there are tons of pre-94 mags that hold 12 rounds. and the factory 10 rounders are only 2 rds less. Not a huge deal. Plus I much prefer the size of a P229 to anything single stack. Endless holster options too. can easily find an older P229 in .40 with short extractor (most desirable model) for less than $700.

food for thought
good luck
They discontinued them again?

I had 225 A1 kinda wish I kept it, is was well built and I really liked it but I never really used it. It didn't really fit a compatition nitch. Their are better options for carry (cz pcr) little lighter great ergonomics and more capacity. So after a few years of wow this is a nice gun as I put back in the safe after not using it we parted ways. And yes it had less than 50 rnds through it. .

They discontinued them again?
DP_MjbbV4AA8ov7.jpg

You right. My friend has a P229 plastic blue gun but not a real one, never asked him why. The grip on the 225A is perfection while the P229 feels like it's meant for someone's hands who's 6'4" tall, hickok45?
229 isn't meant for hands that big.... but I have sandwiches for hands

My palms hang off a 92fs

I had 225 A1 kinda wish I kept it, is was well built and I really liked it but I never really used it. It didn't really fit a compatition nitch. Their are better options for carry (cz pcr) little lighter great ergonomics and more capacity. So after a few years of wow this is a nice gun as I put back in the safe after not using it we parted ways. And yes it had less than 50 rnds through it. .
I could see myself with a cz75 variant down the road as well, they’re gorgeous and everything I hear points to them being stellar guns. I just see so many striker fired guns these days I would really like to add a classic, hammer fired and metal framed gun to my safe. My m17 hasn’t skipped a beat, but i’ve just had an itch for a classic sig.

food for thought
good luck
I have a LockLeather for my 3913 which I love. Comfortable, secure, fast on draw. LockLeather OWB Holster

My primary EDC is a P229 and I’m a short old guy with small hands. I carry it because, for what ever reason, I shoot it much more accurately than any other handgun I’ve used. I find it fits my hand just right and I naturally point it at the target when I bring it up. It is heavy, but I carry it on a Hanks Montana Bison belt in a Wrights Cobra Hybrid Master Collection holster and its not too bad. The only other carry gun I shoot as well is my Springfield 1911 EMP Champion Concealed Carry Contour 9mm. The EMP is a lot thinner but only weighs 1 oz less than the P229 (31 vs 32). Since I’m used to a DA/SA it doesn’t make sense to switch my EDC to a gun that has to be carried locked to save 1 oz. Though I do think the EMP is one of my prettier guns.

I could see myself with a cz75 variant down the road as well, they’re gorgeous and everything I hear points to them being stellar guns. I just see so many striker fired guns these days I would really like to add a classic, hammer fired and metal framed gun to my safe.
It's tough to tell via text--but you're aware that the CZ75 is a classic, hammer-fired metal-framed gun, correct?

The way I read this statement implies it's something else. AIA if that's not the case.

It's tough to tell via text--but you're aware that the CZ75 is a classic, hammer-fired metal-framed gun, correct?

The way I read this statement implies it's something else. AIA if that's not the case.
Just reverse the sequence of the two sentences and I think the meaning is clear:

I just see so many striker fired guns these days I would really like to add a classic, hammer fired and metal framed gun to my safe. I could see myself with a cz75 variant down the road as well, they’re gorgeous and everything I hear points to them being stellar guns.

Just reverse the sequence of the two sentences and I think the meaning is clear:
That's what I think he was going for, on first pass it just seemed to read like "I hear CZ75s are nice, but I want a metal-framed, hammer-fired gun instead" which I don't think is what he was going for.

Then again, another member called a Glock "the German gun" the other day.

I am quite aware [laugh] . I was just saying they’re nice too.

for me comfort is 100% the function of the belt and holster, not the gun. The P229 is one of the smaller guns I carried and has long been replaced by larger pistols. apparently I like carrying a school bus. Now I just need to figure out how to CCW a suppressed Mk12. Then I will feel adequately armed.

View attachment 527575
What brand of holster is that? I like those snap loops.

I carry a p229 elite occasionally. It’s a bit heavy but it’s comfortable enough other than the sandpaper like grips.

I had a early model P225 and enjoyed it. Handed it off to my Son-in-law. I also have a P239 which is slightly smaller. You might consider that too. And even though it's been discontinued there are some out on the used market.

Back
Top Bottom