• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on the 1911 please

I feel pretty stupid but, I can't close the slide when the magazine is in there, as soon as I hit the mag release then I can close the slide. What am I doing wrong?

Flame away boys I deserve it.

Slide lock it holding it open...
Never never let go of the slide unless your chambering a round from the mag.

Never ever top off by pulling the slide back and putting one in the chamber...

Put rounds in the mag, pull slide back and let go. Drop mag top off.

To undo the bushing with out wrench pull slide back 1/2 inch .

So if the mag was full it would close?
Yes. Looking down into the empty magwell with the slide locked back you'll see a small tab on the left side that's attached to the slide lock. That tab is pushed up by the mag follower on an empty mag, locking the slide back when you are out of ammo. You should still be able to release the slide by pushing down on the slide lock but it's harder to do because you have to overcome the pressure from the mag spring pushing up on the slide lock.

Dude, no matter what happens, from now until the end of your days, you can rejoice in the knowledge that YOU, own a 1911. Maximum contentment has been achieved. Carry on. [wink]

If you use the slide lock to release the slide it will wear out and the lock will eventually fail.

-tapatalk blows chunks-

On your everyday factory 1911, nothing. On a finely tuned guns, it jars the sear / hammer face, and slams the lower lugs against the slide stop pin and the upper lugs against the slide.

Thanks for the info just picked up a dan wesson cco from another member here, haven't got to shoot it yet but can't wait nice piece of equipment

I feel pretty stupid but, I can't close the slide when the magazine is in there, as soon as I hit the mag release then I can close the slide. What am I doing wrong?

Nothing wrong with Asking Questions!!! It is always better to ask a question about something you don't understand with a firearm "period"

Back
Top Bottom