• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on spanish FR8

GunGrey

Banned
SKS ray post something about one over in the firearms section, that the new ruger scout rifle looked alot like the FR8 at a fraction of what the ruger was selling for....This got me really interested because i like the concept of a scout rifle and from using a lil bit of google foo, and i am really interested in it.

Anyone on here have one? how is it to shoot? and where did you find one?

I've seen people do some sporter/scout type set ups from FR8 rifles such as this one:

33cx360.jpg

I'm sure the total price of that build didn't equal out to half of what a bare bones new Ruger scout sells for. If you can do without the detachable magazine, I'd go with an FR8.

I'm a big fan of FR-8's. I've had mine for over 10 years.

Here's a nice Scout version someone did:

119osqe.jpg

I'm still tempted to go this way with mine.

just asking, like how the M1 garand modern day factory round are too much. then again it is a bolt action and the M1 is a semi

The problem with the Garand isn't that "modern day factory loads are too much" (there are a number of Garands converted to calibers like .35 Whelen), it's that the pressure curve on factory hunting ammo is all wrong. Gas operated rifles can be very sensitive to burn rates of the ammo.

The Mauser 98 action is plenty strong for factory .308 loads.

Auction sites are your best bet.

Honestly i have no idea bout gun auction sites besides gunbroker, and i have no idea about buying from auction, any tips about buying milsurp sight unseen? Besides having a shiney bore thats all i know.

Any other fourms that sell milsurps in their classified sections?

Can i shoot factory hunting loads out of it?

I would check out the pressure capacity of the FR 8 to be safe. Some of the older 308's were not designed to handle the higher pressures caused by new factory ammo. I have a FR8 but its in original form. I have only shot surplus 308. However I am by no means an expert on these rifles. I did find an excellent article on surplus rifles.com which speaks to the issue. It actually uses the FR8 for an example. link:http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/308vs762nato/index.asp

I actually liked the new Ruger, but then again I love Mosin's so its all about what we enjoy.

Also as TTA89 stated gunboards. is a great place to find milsurp firearms. You will need to check it often . Most items only stay for sale for a short time. All of the items I have purchased have been top shelf. The folks are mostly collectors and have some very nice items for sale. For an example I have been looking for some Finn 7.62 ammunition in its original box from World War 2. I posted a WTB and had three responses in less than an hour. So give it a look. Its a great site to join as well if you are either a long time collector or just starting out.

Last edited:
A rather ingenuitive training rifle. I guess I learned a little more about it from this thread, I originally assumed it was in 8x57 instead of 7.62 nato, and I also thought it did have a magazine, maybe because of its pseudo futuristic look and fake gas tube on the bottom. It seems only prototype model 98's from wwi had the detachable mags. My military mausers book says the FR8s were made from Spanish model 43 short rifles, which were themselves partly the result of an "infusion of German weapons" and others chambered in 8x57. So I wonder if any of these FR8's are made from kar98 recievers... that'd be pretty interesting. The FR7s seem mad old though, an article on the surplus rifle site says they were made from model 1893 actions... they could still be made circa wwi, but that's getting pretty old.

Back
Top Bottom