• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on SigSauer Striker safety

sbi

I am familiar with the Glock one but can't find anything online about Sig. The Glock also has the trigger bar which Sig lacks.

Please spare me with "the safety is your finger and between your eyes".

Thanks in advance.

I've taken up no safety 320 after decades of 1911. Was kind of spooky at first, until I realized it wasn't a whole lot different from a revolver. You really have to be mindful drawing and re holstering. "Muscle memory" is a funny thing though...I've shot the thing exclusively for a couple months now, several thousand dry draws later I'm still trying to wipe off that thumb safety on the draw.
As far as the vs. Glock thing, the Sig points the same as the 1911 for me.

P320 has a striker block safety. It’s the little nub adjacent the sear. It articulated against the side of the striker. On a P320 the striker block is built into the striker assembly rather than a separate part of the slide. I’m not sure if this is superior or inferior from design perspective but it’s novel.

The P320 also has a trigger bar. It runs along the side of the chassis and as usual articulates with the sear and firing pin block safety.

For these reasons I am still a Glock fan, but I wouldn't take a 320 if it were free.
Kevin! OMG! You don't know what you're talking about. The army picked the 320 as its new sidearm, so it is absofugginglutely M A N D A T O R Y to find it awesome. Everybody knows that the army wouldn't go for something because of low bidder and stuff. Get with the program.

P320 has a striker block safety. It’s the little nub adjacent the sear. It articulated against the side of the striker. On a P320 the striker block is built into the striker assembly rather than a separate part of the slide. I’m not sure if this is superior or inferior from design perspective but it’s novel.

The P320 also has a trigger bar. It runs along the side of the chassis and as usual articulates with the sear and firing pin block safety.

Does this also apply to the P365 or does the 365 has different mechanism?

Still don't understand the safety functionality of the trigger bar. In Glock, you cannot pull the trigger unless you fully depress the trigger bar. If the trigger bar in the P320 is 'hidden' and you can't physically press on it in order to pull the trigger, what's "safety" about it?

Does this also apply to the P365 or does the 365 has different mechanism?

Still don't understand the safety functionality of the trigger bar. In Glock, you cannot pull the trigger unless you fully depress the trigger bar. If the trigger bar in the P320 is 'hidden' and you can't physically press on it in order to pull the trigger, what's "safety" about it?

you're referring to is the trigger blade safety. the trigger bar is typically the linkage between trigger and sear.

the lack of this safety mechanism on the P320 has been an enormous topic of discussion and when coupled to the original thick/heavy trigger allowed the trigger to move rearward if dropped at a specific angle (by heavy trigger we are talking about the actual weight of the trigger, not the pull weight). that's been beaten to death and can be googled. Sig's fix has been to swap over to a lighter trigger (again not pull weight) that doesn't have enough mass to pull itself rearward. they also installed an out-of-battery disconnect safety and machined out a chunk of the slide to accommodate this later safety. word on the street is that the Apex trigger is physically lighter and provides drop safety although neither Apex nor Sig would go around advertising that. FWIW, Sig considers drop safety to be a voluntary upgrade, so needless to say I have no interest in purchasing more of their products. as usual YMMV.

the P320 firing mechanism is truly genius, but unfortunately Sig decided to butcher it by retrofitting the striker design into the archaic P250 platform. the result is a bore that sites a higher than it should, a trigger that should have incorporated a blade safety among other shortcomings courtesy of the P250.

When I took the P320 armorer course in early 2016 I recall asking the folks at Sig how they got away with a pistol lacking a trigger blade safety. their response was basically that it's unnecessary, which I found odd since every other manufacturer sees otherwise. fastforward a year or so and turns out the gun goes bang courtesy of gravity.

--

I can't speak to the P365 as I've only handled them but not really inspected one. I have zero interest in that pistol.

Last edited:
you're referring to is the trigger blade safety. the trigger bar is typically the linkage between trigger and sear.

the lack of this safety mechanism on the P320 has been an enormous topic of discussion and when coupled to the original thick/heavy trigger allowed the trigger to move rearward if dropped at a specific angle (by heavy trigger we are talking about the actual weight of the trigger, not the pull weight). that's been beaten to death and can be googled. Sig's fix has been to swap over to a lighter trigger (again not pull weight) that doesn't have enough mass to pull itself rearward. they also installed an out-of-battery disconnect safety and machined out a chunk of the slide to accommodate this later safety. word on the street is that the Apex trigger is physically lighter and provides drop safety although neither Apex nor Sig would go around advertising that. FWIW, Sig considers drop safety to be a voluntary upgrade, so needless to say I have no interest in purchasing more of their products. as usual YMMV.

the P320 firing mechanism is truly genius, but unfortunately Sig decided to butcher it by retrofitting the striker design into the archaic P250 platform. the result is a bore that sites a higher than it should, a trigger that should have incorporated a blade safety among other shortcomings courtesy of the P250.

When I took the P320 armorer course in early 2016 I recall asking the folks at Sig how they got away with a pistol lacking a trigger blade safety. their response was basically that it's unnecessary, which I found odd since every other manufacturer sees otherwise. fastforward a year or so and turns out the gun goes bang courtesy of gravity.

--

I can't speak to the P365 as I've only handled them but not really inspected one. I have zero interest in that pistol.

Thank Squib.

I will be interested to hear, if anyone knows, about the P365. The extra 4 rounds (compared to the G43) appeal to me.

The guns are pretty safe especially post recall. Sigs handling of said recall leaves as lot to be desired. The facr that dealers cannot send in guns for customers is absurd. I still have not sent mine in yet because of this. Maybe tomorrow....

Both the 365 and 320 have firing pin blocks (like pretty much every modern handgun).
The 320 also has a sear disconnect, so the sear is not engaged when the trigger is not engaged and will keep the gun safe if you disassemble it with a round in the chamber. In the models with the manual safety this renders the gun incapable of firing in the safe position. I think the 365 is similar but I haven't taken mine apart yet.
Also the "school me" thing is [puke]

Back
Top Bottom