• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on shotgun chokes

Just picked up a Remington 870 and it comes with a modified choke. All I am going to be using it for is trap shooting and slug shooting(indoors). Can someone go through the different chokes and tell me what I can and can not shoot though.

Open
Modified
Full
etc.

You can safely shoot anything through a modified choke. For trap many shooters prefer a full choke but a modified will do just fine.

Can a slug go safely through an open choke?

Yes. Generally speaking, the more open the better for the old-style Foster slugs. The newer sabot slugs are more accurate if fired through a rifled barrel or at least a rifled choke tube. The only warnings I've seen on choke selection is not to fire steel waterfowl loads through extra-tight super-full turkey hunting tubes. The Remington and Hastings websites have good info.
Where and how do you shoot slugs indoors?

Last edited:
Yes. Generally speaking, the more open the better for the old-style Foster slugs. The newer sabot slugs are more accurate if fired through a rifled barrel or at least a rifled choke tube. The only warnings I've seen on choke selection is not to fire steel waterfowl loads through extra-tight super-full turkey hunting tubes. The Remington and Hastings websites have good info.
Where and how do you shoot slugs indoors?

Yeah...?

Back
Top Bottom