• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on preban WASR10 or AK47

slap shot

NES Member
Ok, if an AK type rifle, receiver stamped 1973, and was imported by Century, is it considered pre ban? My nephew just bought this and he's confused and i'm no help. The rifle came with a bayo but the lug is partially ground and i'm assuming the muzzle brake is also added on.

What's the deal?

Thanks

Not legal advice, but if the receiver is clearly date stamped 1973 as you say, it would definitely be pre-ban so all evil features would be good to go. Can't help with the actual lineage though.

Not legal advice, but if the receiver is clearly date stamped 1973 as you say, it would definitely be pre-ban so all evil features would be good to go. Can't help with the actual lineage though.

I thought so too, but there's the date of importation aspect too i think. If century wasn't importing before 1994 then can it legally be pre ban?

Is it the front trunion that is dated? They usually are when surplus demilled parts kits are bought, then put together on new american recovers.

i think it might be the trunnion as i thought it was the front half of the receiver initially, what would that mean?

I thought so too, but there's the date of importation aspect too i think. If century wasn't importing before 1994 then can it legally be pre ban?

Oh, good point, didn't think about that, hopefully someone who knows more about importation laws will chime in. This is a subject I've never seen brought up before.

In my opinion which means absolutely NOTHING if you have a date stamped AK receiver that you are 100% sure it was made in 1973 then oI would be confident it would be a pre ban. I will say this that other than the Mak 90's which were imported after the 1989 AWB but brought in before the Clinton ban which have known serial numbers that start with 91, 92, 93 and 94 meaning that was the year they were imported from Im told that other Chinese AK's are very difficult to decipher the serial numbers in regards to date of manufacture. Not sure what type of AK you actually have, and Im not sure when Century started or stopped for that matter importing AK's. Sorry if Im rambling on here, but again if a gun was made in 1973 I think its good to go for whatever you chose to do with it as far as stock, threaded barrel ect.

The company who made it? It's a 1973 model. Maybe he can search that by the serial number?

You said century imported it.

There's a few ways it came in to the states.

Century imported parts kits and built it on a USA semi receiver .
they had the country overseas build guns from surplus or out of spec parts on foreign receivers.
If it's old enough it could be imported in mill spec config or it was converted from a sporter.
Most trunions I've seen from country's have a date code on it. It doesn't mean any thing for pre or post ban.

Century will have records since they had to serialize the receiver. They will be able to tell you when it was made .

Last edited:
You said century imported it.

There's a few ways it came in to the states.

Century imported parts kits and built it on a USA semi receiver .
they had the country overseas build guns from surplus or out of spec parts on foreign receivers.
If it's old enough it could be imported in mill spec config or it was converted from a sporter.
Most trunions I've seen from country's have a date code on it. It doesn't mean any thing for pre or post ban.

Century will have records since they had to serialize the receiver. They will be able to tell you when it was made .

thanks

The date on the receiver is when the donor rifle/ parts kit was made which has nothing to do with the ATF rules about when it was assembled here as the actual rifle. I could be wrong but I thought all Wasr 10/63's are post 2004 in the eyes of the man.

Back
Top Bottom