School me on modern Springfield M1A's

Just putting it out there that I had a recent production M1A National Match with the bedded wood stock, a Basset scope mount and a Leupold 3.5-10x40. With Federal Gold Medal match it was bolt rifle accurate from 100-300 yards. I was shocked by the accuracy.

This post belongs in the “guns you regret selling” thread. I’ll probably have to buy another one now.
i hope you got good money for it...

Just putting it out there that I had a recent production M1A National Match with the bedded wood stock, a Basset scope mount and a Leupold 3.5-10x40. With Federal Gold Medal match it was bolt rifle accurate from 100-300 yards. I was shocked by the accuracy.

This post belongs in the “guns you regret selling” thread. I’ll probably have to buy another one now.

I keep going back and forth on whether I want to scope my M1A. So far I’ve fought off the urge, but one day I’m sure it will happen.

I keep going back and forth on whether I want to scope my M1A. So far I’ve fought off the urge, but one day I’m sure it will happen.
A good mount helps,
I tried 3 different SAI mounts fir what ever reason they did not work well.
Basset and a SEI mount both solid but I use my M1a for cmp MM so the scope does not go on to often.
Plus if you dont have a comb riser or adjustable comb its not the most comfortable scoped rifle

Almost anything will work and look good.
Teak oil is nothing more than some type finishing oil thinned out.
basically pre thinned BLO, TungOil ectect
Worst oil to use is the Tung Oil purchased from the big box stores. They have a poly added to it and will build up a thick shine that looks terrible is a GI look is desired. Best produce is pure oil that can be obtained from a woodworking store. While not cheap a pint will last forever. Multiple coats , first thinned with mineral spirits then thicker coats allowing to dry builds up a nice finish without the gloss.

Worst oil to use is the Tung Oil purchased from the big box stores. They have a poly added to it and will build up a thick shine that looks terrible is a GI look is desired. Best produce is pure oil that can be obtained from a woodworking store. While not cheap a pint will last forever. Multiple coats , first thinned with mineral spirits then thicker coats allowing to dry builds up a nice finish without the gloss.
True most anything labeled
“Tung Oil Finish” has very little tung oil in them.

Out of curiosity what does a USGI parts kit go for nowadays? I bought some from CMP many yrs. ago and i think i have one left. Cant ever see me building another,,

Out of curiosity what does a USGI parts kit go for nowadays? I bought some from CMP many yrs. ago and i think i have one left. Cant ever see me building another,,
Depends on manufacture and what parts/condition.
My guess is you could double your money.
Or hook some one up, wink wink
For a small profit over clp cost and help someone (wink wink) build out another rifle..I got some parts that need more parts.

I’ll be the outlier here. I tried the platform a while back and went all in on an old(er) Springfield M1A that had a bunch of USGI parts. It is hard to beat the ‘cool’ factor of the M14, but IMHO there are more practical options out there, like an AR in .308. It just wasn’t for me.

100% buy one. If you want the real M14 experience, get the GI Standard Issue with the 22" barrel.
If you're a casual shooter, Id go with the 18" Scout Squad.

Either way, MUST get the wood stock.
i agree with the first two sentences but disagree with the third.
I have 3 , with comments on each
1) m14 in wood, GI got to have one of them.
2) scout squad in polymer stock, love this shoots like and AR, easy to point.
3) and one GI with a mils spec fiberglass stock (that stock is so stiff it like getting a wacked with a baseball bat, will upgrade to wood at some point.

go to is #2

Buy a M14 clone that isn't a SA. I owned a SA SOCOM 16 and I found the gun relatively mediocre.

Figure out what you're going to do with a M14 clone first. If you're nostalgic, buy a clone with as many GI parts as possible. If you want a CMP match gun, get one. If you want an EBR DMR, look at Fulton Armory's higher end guns.

For a gun to actually "use", I'd suggest a FAL or G3 instead, but I get the vibe that this is more about nostalgia and aesthetic than practical utility.

Edit: SA specifically gets more love on this website than other brands, but that's probably because Springfield Armory M1As are exempted from the Mass AWB. If you don't live in Mass, you should really consider other brands.

I had high expectations for my Socom 16 and I was thoroughly disappointed by it. Sold it, put together an AR308 instead.

I’ll be the outlier here. I tried the platform a while back and went all in on an old(er) Springfield M1A that had a bunch of USGI parts. It is hard to beat the ‘cool’ factor of the M14, but IMHO there are more practical options out there, like an AR in .308. It just wasn’t for me.

I had high expectations for my Socom 16 and I was thoroughly disappointed by it. Sold it, put together an AR308 instead.

I agree that an AR in .308 or 6.5CM is way more practical than a M14 clone. Time and the market has proven that. And the M14's NATO contemporaries had much longer frontline service lives - the FAL kept going until the 80s, 90s, and the G3 is still in service with smaller countries like Portugal and Norway. The M14 left frontline service during Vietnam. The M14 was the US service rifle with the shortest frontline service life.

The thing about the M14 is that its effectively a Garand with a detachable mag. Similar size, roughly similar weight, similar buyers, similar manual of arms. Both are nostalgia guns. Companies like SA rely on nostalgia to sell guns.

Ive got a loaded with walnut and a scout with a fiberglass m14 stock i tried forever to make "modern".

They're cool guns, and a blast to shoot in their standard, or really any config, but are outdated and largely irrelevant when compared to, well... modern, .308 battle rifles. As far as modernizing them goes, you can put optics of them but pretty much anything you do will require a cheek riser or a new stock, most of the stocks are pretty lame and/or take away from the classic lines of the gun and turn an already overweight pig into an overweight pig with lipstick on it.

Do i have them? Yup. Do i enjoy shooting them? Yeah, but every round i send downrange with them could be more efficiently used training on my other modern 308 guns. So mine are pretty much serving the "dang that gun looks cool" role every time i reach in the safe and grab my SR25. In all honedty id rather have a FAL if i was going for a true classic 308 BR, they've got much more of a cool service history. The M14 was outdated when it was designed and lived a long drawn out life of being forced into service to meet a demand when there weren't enough M110's to give out to line infantry SDM's.

Disclaimer: i am not responsible for any hurt feels generated by this post.

2i5cBNU.jpg

Last edited:
I agree that an AR in .308 or 6.5CM is way more practical than a M14 clone. Time and the market has proven that. And the M14's NATO contemporaries had much longer frontline service lives - the FAL kept going until the 80s, 90s, and the G3 is still in service with smaller countries like Portugal and Norway. The M14 left frontline service during Vietnam. The M14 was the US service rifle with the shortest frontline service life.

The thing about the M14 is that its effectively a Garand with a detachable mag. Similar size, roughly similar weight, similar buyers, similar manual of arms. Both are nostalgia guns. Companies like SA rely on nostalgia to sell guns.
I like my garands better than my M1a BUT I shoot my M1a better in position.
I just fit behind the M1a a little better.
I have a 308 garand.
I grew up listening to the older guys
Eh M14 trying to make a Garand what it aint, solution to a non problem kind of stuff.
Im not a huge fan and only built one out because I wanted something else to put in the CMP Mondern Military Match other than my AR.

The funniest thing was SA smashing 6.5 into the M1A, like bro... you have to work, hard, to even come close to getting the most out of 308 rounf in the platform, what makes you think its gonna shoot 6.5 any better?

Springfield sucks, its sad, but they do. As someone else said they're treading water selling nostalgic guns and XD's at this point trying to keep from drowning. The only thing they still kinda do right is 1911s, and even those are rack grade at best.

The funniest thing was SA smashing 6.5 into the M1A, like bro... you have to work, hard, to even come close to getting the most out of 308 rounf in the platform, what makes you think its gonna shoot 6.5 any better?

Springfield sucks, its sad, but they do. As someone else said they're treading water selling nostalgic guns and XD's at this point trying to keep from drowning. The only thing they still kinda do right is 1911s, and even those are rack grade at best.
BRO, 6.5 shoots better no matter the platform even if its all steel and wood!
I would love a M1a or Garand in 6.5 swede or even 7.5 swiss.

What where you expecting really?
I was expecting something that was a little more ergonomic, better handling, lighter, less front heavy awkwardness with an optic and flat plane shooting then what reality was.

Was I expecting too much from the platform in a 16 inch barrel? Maybe. Regardless, didn't like it. Maybe one of these days if prices ever normalize, I'll try out a Scout squad.

Back
Top Bottom